Topics

Help troubleshooting a 2710 SA

George

Hi,

I recently obtained a 2710 SA in non-working state and I am trying to repair it.
The problem is (well, there may be more than one problem, but this is the one I can observe at this stage) the display is showing only a dot in the lower-left corner.
If I increase the intensity, I *think* I can see something more: some faint dots somewhere on the leftmost vertical line of the screen.
So, my first suspicion would be that horizontal deflection and/or sweep is not working.
But, before I did anything else, I wanted to check the power rails and this is where I am at the moment: the voltages are around the values mentioned in the service manual, but ripple is significant (even the mV part of the DC readings on the meter is fluctuating).
I also checked the voltage on the main filter cap (i.e. C380F) and noticed huge ripple (over 50V pk-pk), even with all the boards removed from the chassis (the CRT was still powered, though).
As the next step in my investigation on the cause for this ripple, I was pondering powering the supply board on its own (i.e. not plugged into anything, apart from the mains), but I'm not sure if this is something ok to do (i.e. any risk something might get damaged, if there is no load).
Any suggestions on this, please?

Thanks!

Martin Whybrow

From my experience with these, certain PCB revisions have an issue in the EHT section; on one I've repaired, there had been creepage and flashover in the high resistance potential divider chain which caused a cascade of power supply faults. Have a look at the back left corner of the power supply board to seeif there is any sign of burning (under the perspex cover)

Jaap Rusticus

Hello George and Martin,

Jaap from the Netherlands here. I have several from this series of analyzers. I had to repair a 2715 power supply two months ago and was successful in that. During the repair I also took out all the boards and disconnected the CRT, the front panel board and the reference board. Already having found a bad component in the PWM part of the supply, the supply would not start. I then supposed it had to be loaded, so I connected a 5 ohms 5W resistor between ground and the +5V output. There it went, all was fine and the +5V could be adjusted. This was a 2715 that I transformed into a 2712.

I just measured the ripple voltage for you on the main filter cap in a simple way - analog voltmeter on AC with a 100nF series capacitor - and it showed about 5V on the meter. This is not peak to peak of course but the value gives you an indication.

I assume you know about the problems that can happen with the Display Storage board. My three 2710's all have this problem.

Please keep us informed about the progress of your repair.

Greetings, Jaap