Topics

Hello to the group, and a WTB

greenboxmaven

Hello, I'm Bruce, KA2IVY, Syracuse New York . I found this group while searching for information on a 555 scope. I got one from an estate sale for a very good price. I powered it up carefully, and all the basics work. The jug is in good shape too, on both guns. However, the entire scope , power supply, and cart are grungy and boy does it stink when it's on! There is NO question why the owner is SK! I have read other posts on this group, there are people here that know Tektronix and know the craft very well. It's a pleasure to find a group like this. I have a couple other Tektronix projects I bought at the Rochester and Cortland hamfests, more about them later. The first thing the 555 needs is a bath, I was somewhat surprised to see Tektronix did it at the factory, and considering the "atmosphere" I barely survived in TV ststions, they needed it. For the "WTB" part, the carrying handles on the 555 display unit are completely missing, not just the strap you grab, but everything. The handle on the power supply is rotten down to the steel strap inside, even with a glove on picking it up by the handle is not fun . Does anyone have these handles to spare? Also, the aluminum mesh filter screens are missing from the display and power supply, does anyone have them to spare? Thanks, 73, Bruce

Dave Seiter

Welcome!By "everything missing", do you mean that the metal channel that runs the length of the scope is missing also, or just the two handles? Seems that I recall someone making leather handle replacements about 10 years ago, but it might have been a limited run.  You'd think that a good leather worker on Etsy would see the market for the handles!
-Dave

On Saturday, June 22, 2019, 5:02:06 PM PDT, greenboxmaven via Groups.Io <ka2ivy=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

The metal channel is in place and in good condition. Both of the handle assemblies are missing- the ends, metal straps, and leather coverings. The leather covering is missing on the power supply handle, the metal strap and all other parts are intact. Bruce

On 6/22/19 11:08 PM, Dave Seiter wrote:
[...]

Craig Sawyers

Welcome!By "everything missing", do you mean that the metal channel that runs the length of the
scope is missing also, or just the two handles? Seems that I recall someone making leather handle
replacements about 10 years ago
That was Stan Griffiths. Being an ex-Tek guy he found the place that originally made the handles and
got a bunch made. And ISTR it was more than ten years ago. I only bought two sets - they were a
complete kit including the end caps, fixing screws - the entire kit. In 20:20 hindsight I should have
bought more when they were available.

They are not leather by the way - they are leatherette stitched around a wood pulp filler and a metal
strip core . Which explains why they degrade when stored - the leatherette cracks over decades (light,
ozone, loss of plasticiser) and splits and falls off, the filler core degrades and falls off, and just
leaves the metal strip. And the chrome plated steel end caps also rust.

Stan is very elderly now, and I'm certain won't be sourcing any more.

Craig

Phillip Potter

First, welcome to this awesome group... I’m not including myself, but offering my personal impression of the rest of the membership.

Recently there has been some talk on other groups about using handles originally made for guitar amps; like Fender.

That might help?

Greetings from a relative newbie,

Phil-in-CA (in CO at the moment)

Phil, N6OMM

On Jun 20, 2019, at 4:26 PM, greenboxmaven via Groups.Io <ka2ivy=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

The handle on the power supply is rotten down to the steel strap inside

Dave Seiter

Thanks for having a better memory than me!  I should have known they weren't leather- I've certainly had plenty of them disintegrate in my hands!
Still, I think a leather artist could sell many of them, even if they slipped on over the original steel and even if they were black.
-Dave