Topics

Groups.io price increase?

Tom Gardner

Is this relevant to this group?

[HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment] Massive groups.pricing increase - we need a
plan B.
However, it seems that groups.io are going to be changing their pricing
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/27191
That’s more than a 10x increase!

The administrator, David Kirkby, is predisposed to having a privately hosted open source solution.

https://groups.io/g/HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment/topic/massive_groups_pricing/79698138
or
https://groups.io/g/HP-Agilent-Keysight-equipment/message/113211

Jean-Paul

Bonjour, We can all expect the same treatment as other groups.

Dennis should calculate the yearly cost and ask for contributions by every active member.

Finally I suggest that we could migrate to a private server with our own website, setting up storage of files and a forum is not hat difficult.

Any thoughts?

Kind Regards,

Jon

toby@...

On 2021-01-15 7:05 a.m., Jean-Paul wrote:
Bonjour, We can all expect the same treatment as other groups.

Dennis should calculate the yearly cost and ask for contributions by every active member.

Finally I suggest that we could migrate to a private server with our own website, setting up storage of files and a forum is not hat difficult.
_Setting it up_ is not difficult.

Keeping the physical or virtual hardware paid for, running, scaled,
available, updated, and backed up is likely to cost more than
groups.io's shocking new rate -- or is a volunteer supposed to do that
for nothing?

And that's before we even talk about whether the software is going to
meet the same standard.

--T

Any thoughts?

Kind Regards,

Jon

Jean-Paul

Dennis Good points, please can you calculate the cost/ year now or 2020 vs the new cost increase?

How many members do we have?

Jon

existing premium and enterprise groups will keep their legacy pricing
So it should not impact us.

David

On 2021-01-15 8:52 a.m., Jean-Paul wrote:
Dennis Good points, please can you calculate the cost/ year now or 2020 vs the new cost increase?
To be clear, I find the price change disappointing, disgusting and
opportunistic. Groups.io has many economies of scale that are not
available to individual mailing lists.

No doubt they have calculated likely costs of people moving off the
platform and have cynically priced accordingly. There are plenty of
precedents for this among rent seeking services...

--T

How many members do we have?

Jon

Jean-Paul

Toby are there alternative forums sites or group hosts like groups.io?
What is the cost per member per year now vs increased?

Jon

Jean-Paul

https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/79024735#27191

Change appears to apply only to upgrade in group sizes or type after mid January.

Do existing rates stay the same?

Jon