Topics

Great video for 500 series Tek restorers

Jamie Ostrowski

I wanted to share this video I watched over on youtube. This guy does an absolutely incredible job detailing the internals of the 555 power supply circuitry and also does some work on his own.

It's very thorough! Covers the circuit design and everything.

It's great for beginners such as myself to help us understand what is going on under the hood.

It's obvious a great deal of time and effort went into making the video for Tektronix collectors. Wonderful job...

He has other videos on Tek restorations, but this is the most in-depth.

Thought some other folks here might appreciate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAbeWXcuYOE

John Williams

Thanks Jamie good video. A good explanation of how the indicator unit and the power supply interact through the interconnecting cable.

Ryan Scott

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 16:22, Jamie Ostrowski<jamie.ostrowski@...> wrote:
I wanted to share this video I watched over on youtube. This guy does an absolutely incredible job detailing the internals of the 555 power supply circuitry and also does some work on his own.

It's very thorough! Covers the circuit design and everything.

It's great for beginners such as myself to help us understand what is going on under the hood.

It's obvious a great deal of time and effort went into making the video for Tektronix collectors. Wonderful job...

He has other videos on Tek restorations, but this is the most in-depth.

Thought some other folks here might appreciate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAbeWXcuYOE

John Williams

Btw the 555 on eBay that was priced at $4750 has been marked down to $1900. Bet there is a crowd of buyers there right now. You gotta laugh so you don’t cry.

Jamie Ostrowski

Yeah it will be interesting to see what it winds up going for. It can be
fun watching the pricing play out. In the last few months I have seen them
going from $250 for some to around $800 for others!

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 7:17 PM John Williams <books4you@...> wrote:

Btw the 555 on eBay that was priced at $4750 has been marked down to
$1900. Bet there is a crowd of buyers there right now. You gotta laugh so
you don’t cry.

Dave Seiter

It doesn't even come with the power supply or cable!  I can't wait to see what it sells for.
-Dave

On Thursday, November 14, 2019, 05:17:54 PM PST, John Williams <books4you@...> wrote:

Btw the 555 on eBay that was priced at $4750 has been marked down to $1900. Bet there is a crowd of buyers there right now. You gotta laugh so you don’t cry.

Kurt Rosenfeld

Lazyelectrons has continued the series of videos on the Tektronix 555. There are five of them up now. The latest is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0-rZohmyjQ

Highly recommended!

-Kurt

John Williams

Thanks Kurt. These are very interesting videos. Even though I have restored a dozen 555’s and still have three of the beasts, I still can learn a lot from his information. Tektronix made so many great and interesting instruments during the tube era. I really like them all. It is nice to see a video tour around the instruments.

On an off topic note, I am just finishing a book called “Dec is dead, long live Dec. it is the story of the rise and fall of Digital Equipment Corporation and the legacy they left behind. Perhaps something similar was a force at Tektronix but was overcome better by that company. Anyway it is a good and interesting read. Another favourite - Bill and Dave