Topics

Graticle lighting

Brenda

Hello everyone, I just wanted your input on something. This is about the graticule lighting in Tektronix scopes. I have a 310A, 503, 531 and a 545a that has the red "paint" for the graticule and I really like it and its easier on my eyes to look at. However, my RM565 and both of my 561A do not have the red option. Has anyone here tried to so anything to get that red on the screen? I only ask since I seem to use my 565 the most, has a very bright blue trace and the white markings tends to strain my eyes. Any advice is welcome!

Brenda

Tim Phillips

from Tim P (UK)
re graticule colours - the removable (not internal) 500 'scope graticule
could be installed either way up.
The hole for the lamps was either white or had a red film in the hole.
regards
Tim

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 at 21:31, Brenda via Groups.Io <brendda75=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello everyone, I just wanted your input on something. This is about the
graticule lighting in Tektronix scopes. I have a 310A, 503, 531 and a 545a
that has the red "paint" for the graticule and I really like it and its
easier on my eyes to look at. However, my RM565 and both of my 561A do not
have the red option. Has anyone here tried to so anything to get that red
on the screen? I only ask since I seem to use my 565 the most, has a very
bright blue trace and the white markings tends to strain my eyes. Any
advice is welcome!

Brenda

David Slipper

Does anyone know if the Tek 2225 ever had any graticule lighting ??

There is no control for it on mine ... Was it perhaps an option ??

Is it a feasible retrofit ???

It would be nice to have it since I often have to work in subdued
lighting while debugging hardware.

TIA
Dave

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello everyone, I just wanted your input on something. This is about the
graticule lighting in Tektronix scopes. I have a 310A, 503, 531 and a 545a
that has the red "paint" for the graticule and I really like it and its
easier on my eyes to look at. However, my RM565 and both of my 561A do not
have the red option. Has anyone here tried to so anything to get that red
on the screen? I only ask since I seem to use my 565 the most, has a very
bright blue trace and the white markings tends to strain my eyes. Any
advice is welcome!

Brenda

.

Roy Morgan

On Feb 12, 2019, at 6:38 AM, David Slipper <softfoot@...> wrote:

Does anyone know if the Tek 2225 ever had any graticule lighting ??
Dave,

The manual for my 547 tells that the CRT is of the “Internal graticule type”, where the lines are on the INSIDE surface of the CRT. This MAY be the case with the 2225 (and perhaps for the 2215 that I have.)

It will be interesting to get the answer to your questions.

There is no control for it on mine ... Was it perhaps an option ??
Likely not.

Is it a feasible retrofit ???
Not if the CRT is of the “Internal Graticule type”.

It would be nice to have it since I often have to work in subdued
lighting while debugging hardware.

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

David Slipper

Many thanks for that ...

On 13/02/2019 04:50, Roy Morgan wrote:
[...]

Hello Tim and ty for the info and I am aware of this. However, I am asking folks on this forum if there is a way that I could get the graticules show red instead of white on my scopes such as the 561A, 564 and my 565. I have thought about using red LED's, but then I would have to add on a rectifier and possibly a filter cap to eliminate the flicker.

Thanks again!!

Brenda

Harvey White

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 12:06:48 -0800, you wrote:

Hello Tim and ty for the info and I am aware of this. However, I am asking folks on this forum if there is a way that I could get the graticules show red instead of white on my scopes such as the 561A, 564 and my 565. I have thought about using red LED's, but then I would have to add on a rectifier and possibly a filter cap to eliminate the flicker.
You could look for an AC LED, put two of them across each other back
to back (that's what an AC LED is), or feed it from DC. Any DC that
could spare about 30 ma at the max (use high effiency LEDS and large
dropping resistors) would be fine.

Harvey

Thanks again!!

Brenda

John Williams

Hi Brenda. I forget if these scopes have individual bulbs for the graticle. If they do, it may be easy to paint them red. I remember as a kid using my mother’s nail polish. Later I sprayed the glass of the bulbs with red spray paint. Cheers John

ken chalfant

Greetings,

Consider lining the “holes” where the illumination bulbs pass into the graticules with red Rubylith tape. It is exactly the correct color red and available from Amazon and probably nearly any art supply or photo lithography supply store.

Regards,

Ken

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:01:51 -0800, you wrote:

Hi Brenda. I forget if these scopes have individual bulbs for the graticle. If they do, it may be easy to paint them red. I remember as a kid using my mother’s nail polish. Later I sprayed the glass of the bulbs with red spray paint. Cheers John
There was bulb paint for that, and also colored rubber overlays.

However, if you can find some gelatin color filters used for cheap
stage lighting, the gelatin "wilts" in a high humidity environment
(read condensed steam).

You could "melt" that, put it over the bulb, gently (it's fragile)
mould it to shape, and then just cut off the excess once it's dry.

Harvey

ChuckA

You could try one of these solutions to change the lamp color:

T-3 1/4 lamp filter, fits over the glass bulb from Mouser Electronics
Red filter #560-39121A
Also come in Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue

Transparent model paint from Hobbylinc:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya-spray-lacquer-ts74-clear-red-3-oz-hobby-and-model-lacquer-paint-85074

Chuck

--
See Early TV at:

www.myvintagetv.com

scott@...

Dave,

I have a 2225 and am adding graticule lighting. It never came with it.

I'll likely go with LEDs, and use the +5.2V supply (non-critical digital logic) with an appropriate current limiting resistor.

You can still find these original parts online:

The plastic graticule reflector is Tek part # 378-0877-02, and is used on the Tek 2232 scope. It's just the plastic piece with white reflective tape along one edge. You could add two diffused LEDs, or regular bulbs. Note there are only two holes for lights, and the center portion is a screw hole for mounting.

The illumination board and reflector assembly with bulbs is Tek # 671-1463-00 or 671-0795-00. This has the plastic piece above, the PCB with two bulbs, and the wire and a connector. Not sure of the voltage it uses, but they are wired in series.

You may want to add a brightness adjust knob on the rear of the scope.

Have fun!
Scott