Topics

GPIB videos wanted?

Tam Hanna

Hello Folks,

sorry for annoying you - but I have seen a lot of discussion of GPIB programming recently on this and a few other mailing lists I am subscribed to.

Given that I have a NI GPIB card and did a lot of work with Visual Studio and C#, I wanted to ask if there is anyone who would be interested in a few tutorial videos? I just ask because making these clips is hard work and I do not want it to be made with no interest...

Tam

--
- - - - -
With best regards

Enjoy electronics? Join 13500 followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

Craig Cramb

interested in a few tutorial videos

Tam,
Yes, I would be interested in these training videos.

Craig

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 5:09 AM Tam Hanna <tamhan@...> wrote:

Hello Folks,

sorry for annoying you - but I have seen a lot of discussion of GPIB
programming recently on this and a few other mailing lists I am
subscribed to.

Given that I have a NI GPIB card and did a lot of work with Visual
Studio and C#, I wanted to ask if there is anyone who would be
interested in a few tutorial videos? I just ask because making these
clips is hard work and I do not want it to be made with no interest...

Tam

--
- - - - -
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 13500 followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics
Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

Greg

Yes!  I have an Agilent 82357B GPIB to USB that I have been trying to understand.  Some tutorials would be much appreciated!  Thank you.Greg

sorry for annoying you - but I have seen a lot of discussion of GPIB
programming recently on this and a few other mailing lists I am
subscribed to.

Given that I have a NI GPIB card and did a lot of work with Visual
Studio and C#, I wanted to ask if there is anyone who would be
interested in a few tutorial videos? I just ask because making these
clips is hard work and I do not want it to be made with no interest...

Tam

--
- - - - -
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 13500 followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

Mlynch001

I have been playing around with the GPIB on my TDS series scopes. I have a PROLOGIX GPIB to USB interface and use Realterm for communication. So far, I have used the TEKTRONIX programmers manual and followed those basic instructions. Just brushing the surface of GPIB, but wanting to learn more as time goes by.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Doug

I recently bought a NI GBIB USB interface of the Asian persuasion. I've got it to recognize my TDS754C. I would like to save the NVRAM contents and maybe tweek the calibration.
At this point a tutorial would help, I don't know where to start. Thanks for the offer.

David Kuhn

Hello Tam,

I also have done a lot of programming and control of my electronic
equipment (Tek TDS3032, Agilent 34401A, Agilent E3632A, Agilent 33250A,
Siglent SDG 2042X (via USB and Network I/O, but interface software pretty
much identical to GPIB), and HP/Agilent 11713A and 11713B Attenuator
controllers.

I use VBA (direct programming in Microsoft Access) and VB6. I really do
prefer VBA in Access, because I do a lot a databasing of results data and
use Access to create stunning Data Sheet reports. VBA also does very good
with working with MSCOMM32.OCX. The instruments I use this test equipment
to get data from communicate via serial port commication.

I would be interested in seeing other people's methods of programming
instruments via GPIB, or USB/Network interfacing.

I've heard of a common interface that takes care of talking to the
equipment, but do not know what it is or have any experience with it. I'm
talking about the one where you might give a command to put the scope in
2V/Division, but do not have to know how to command a given scope. It
could be a Tek Scope, an Agilent Scope, or even a Siglent scope. It's like
you have a scope interface module, but you don't care what brand scope; it
knows how to tell all the various brands to go to 2v/div. This sounds
interesting, but I know nothing more about it.

As it is now, I am pretty much stuck to Windows 7 Pro because of my use of
MSCOMM32.OCX. The Unix boys do have a new version for $80 that works in
Windows 10 and I have tried it and confirmed it, but haven't bought it yet,
because so much other support software compiled by a now non-existent
company used MSCOMM32 to talk to the instruments I work on. That limits me
to Windows 7, and sometime 32 bit Windows 7. I do want to move on to
Windows 10 though. i wish I knew how to communicate to the RS232 Serial
Port without using MSCOMM32.OCX in Windows 10. That is much more complex
using the serial API in Windows 10, if microsoft keeps supporting it. I do
need to study that and would love tutorial videos on serial communications
on Windows 10. That's not the subject of your request though.

i am happy there is another GBIP user of these Tek Scopes!

Dave

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 6:09 AM Tam Hanna <tamhan@...> wrote:

Hello Folks,

sorry for annoying you - but I have seen a lot of discussion of GPIB
programming recently on this and a few other mailing lists I am
subscribed to.

Given that I have a NI GPIB card and did a lot of work with Visual
Studio and C#, I wanted to ask if there is anyone who would be
interested in a few tutorial videos? I just ask because making these
clips is hard work and I do not want it to be made with no interest...

Tam

--
- - - - -
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 13500 followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics
Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

David Kuhn

P.S. - I forgot. I used the Agilent USB/GPIB adaptor, both the real 32357B
and the Chinese $99 version (works fine) and both Tek and Agilent VISA. I
think the agilent VISA, must be install as secondary so that the Tek
OpenChoice desktop utility works.

P.S.S. - If anyone has a VB module to do a TEK TDS3000 series Scope screen
capture, I would love to see that,

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 6:09 AM Tam Hanna <tamhan@...> wrote:

Hello Folks,

sorry for annoying you - but I have seen a lot of discussion of GPIB
programming recently on this and a few other mailing lists I am
subscribed to.

Given that I have a NI GPIB card and did a lot of work with Visual
Studio and C#, I wanted to ask if there is anyone who would be
interested in a few tutorial videos? I just ask because making these
clips is hard work and I do not want it to be made with no interest...

Tam

--
- - - - -
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 13500 followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics
Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

Jeff Woolsey

On 1/9/20 9:26 AM, David Kuhn wrote:
Hello Tam,

I also have done a lot of programming and control of my electronic
equipment (Tek TDS3032, Agilent 34401A, Agilent E3632A, Agilent 33250A,
Siglent SDG 2042X (via USB and Network I/O, but interface software pretty
much identical to GPIB), and HP/Agilent 11713A and 11713B Attenuator
controllers.

I use VBA (direct programming in Microsoft Access) and VB6. I really do
prefer VBA in Access, because I do a lot a databasing of results data and
use Access to create stunning Data Sheet reports. VBA also does very good
with working with MSCOMM32.OCX. The instruments I use this test equipment
to get data from communicate via serial port commication.

I would be interested in seeing other people's methods of programming
instruments via GPIB, or USB/Network interfacing.
An invitation!  Engraved, almost.

I have several GPIB instruments, including a Tek 2440, HP 53131A
counter, HP 5316B counter, HP 3455A multimeter, and HP 8656A signal
generator.  I talk to them with an ICS Electronics 8065 Ethernet<->GPIB
controller.  It speaks VXI, and I talk to them with the python vxi11
library, initially on the Raspberry Pi, but now on other Unix systems as
well.  As such it's pretty homebrew.   There's also the
jGpibEnet_V1_2.jar app which can talk to it.

Mostly I interrogate the 53131 to check frequency references.  While the
counter can do statistics (std dev), it can't do linear regression, so
here's what my script does when measuring one of my Heathkit GC-1000s
against a GPSDO:

bash-4.3$ python count-one-adhoc.py 3600000
Given ideal 3600000
HEWLETT-PACKARD,53131A,0,3944
Reference is EXTERNAL at +1.00000E+007 Hz
1.33 Previous gate time
Suggested gate time 1.04887365878
1.049 Gate time
1578608539.24 first time
0 bias
3600000.0 expected value

5 readings to take
1 3600000.2399 Hz 1.19502902031 s 1.19502902031 delta s
2 3600000.263 Hz 2.39258384705 s 1.19755482674 delta s
3 3600000.2371 Hz 3.59217000008 s 1.19958615303 delta s
4 3600000.2338 Hz 4.79037499428 s 1.1982049942 delta s
5 3600000.2438 Hz 5.99014401436 s 1.19976902008 delta s

17.9603018761 Sum s
78.8857550325 Sum s^2
18000001.2176 Sum y
6.48000087667e+13 Sum y^2
5.99014401436 Sum ds
7.17637977064 Sum ds^2
64657091.1019 Sum ys

3600000.24352 Hz mean
0.0441941738242 Hz std dev

5 readings in 5.99014401436 seconds, should be 5.245
1.19802880287 delta t mean, 0.149028802872 dead time, 0.149028802872 also, 14.2067495588 %
0.00191755623341 delta s std dev

1.22761585652e-08 stability? 12.2761586 ppb
6.76444398273e-08 accuracy? 67.6444398 ppb

second denominator 0.0625
-0.0605544068201 correlation
-0.00178588398073 slope
3600000.24994 intercept
3600000.24352 Hz hat in the middle
3600000.22854 Hz hat # 10 at about 11.9802880287 s
bash-4.3$

I wrote another python script which downloads stuff from the Tek 2440,
and plots a waveform in an xterm Tek window.

The HP 5316B looked like it wasn't working with this GPIB controller,
and it kind-of isn't, because it (the counter) speaks IEEE-488.1 , which
the controller doesn't.  However, the 2440 has a GPIB monitor mode, with
which the 5316 can be observed to answer the requests sent to it.  The
HP 3455A is similar, but does work.  It's still difficult to get counter
readings into a computer that way, since I can't take a 2440 screenshow
while it's monitoring GPIB...

This being a hobby, I don't do as much with this stuff as I could, since
nobody's imposing deadlines....

i am happy there is another GBIP user of these Tek Scopes!
Glad to help....

==

I also picked up a couple of HP LXI IEEE-1588 demomstration [sic] units
(at Weird Stuff).   These look an awful lot like HP's GPIB/LAN
controller (it's probably the same platform with a different daughter
board).  These are PTP devices with a small Linux system controlling
them (200MHz Power-something processor).  I bought a pair to see how
well they sync to each other, and their PPS outputs were within 150ns or so.

--
Jeff Woolsey {{woolsey,jlw}@jlw,first.last@{gmail,jlw}}.com
Nature abhors straight antennas, clean lenses, and empty storage.

Greg

I too have an Agilent(?) 82357B USB/GPIB interface.  Not sure if it's the real deal though.  I too would like to use it to talk to my TDS 620A, TDS 640A and TDS 644A scopes.  I have tried to connect it to them and I think  they have responded to the ISN?  command  Any other command and I get a timeout error. Don't know why.  I have the Agilent I/O suite.  I would especially like to learn how to read and back up my NVRAM contents on these scopes.  Would like some one to show me how to do that.  I have very little experience with GPIB.  I built a console port connector for these scopes and can't get it to work.  Would also like some help with that.  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  Greg

[...]

KeepIt SimpleStupid

The first attempt at that was SCPI and later VISA.`
With LabView, the manufacturer wrote an instrument driver for you.  Versions of Labview can be a real problem.  Upgrading usually possible, downgrading no.

On Thursday, January 9, 2020, 6:58:26 PM EST, Greg via Groups.Io <wa6kno=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Vintage Test

Hi Tam,

I have a Solartron 7081, a TDS744, various Datron multimeters and a bundle of TM5000 frames and modules that I’d love to be able to talk to with GPIB - I have an NI PCI adaptor in my PC. Your offer of information videos would be very gratefully accepted by all, I think!

Cheers,
Mel

--
you can never have enough oscilloscopes, DMMs, valve testers or soldering irons . . .

Tam Hanna

Hello,

as of this writing, I plan the following two practical exercises:

a) HP 6624A + Solartron 7150 for attenuator qual

b) exporting image data from HP 53310A

Tam

--
With best regards
Tam HANNA

Enjoy electronics? Join 15k7 other followers by visiting the Crazy Electronics Lab at https://www.instagram.com/tam.hanna/

David Kuhn

Hello Mel,

I would recommend picking up an Agilent 82357B USB-GPIB adaptor off of EBAY
for $75. They work. Just install Agilent IO Control and it has the
drivers for that device. You will need a few 6 foot GPIB cables to daisy
chaining various instruments together. You can also install TEKVISA too
(make it primary) and you can then use OpenChoice Desktop on the more
modern TEK Scopes. It takes screen shots and allows you to copy them to
the clip board and then paste the screen shots in to a Word document. If
you have older TEK Scopes (I.E., TDS380) then OpenChoice desktop will not
work. There is an older TEK utility around that can get a screenshot from
a TDS380, although installing that utility screws up the Agilent IO Control
and Tek OpenChoice software horrible, That older TEK utility almost made
me reformat the computer and re-install Windows 7 to get the other
utilities working again. It did take a nice shot of the TDS380s screen.

So my experience is it can be difficult to mix older and much older
equipment together. That's not always the case. If you stick to the
"modern" utilities, such as Agilent IO Control, I can talk to and get data
from very old GPIB equipment.

Some of the older equipment sits on the bus but does not identify itself.
For an example, an HP11713A attenuator control sits on the bus, It does
not identify itself. Agilent IO Control does not see it, but it you send
commands to the GPIB address it accepts those commands just fine.

I program via VisaCom Library. You need to reference a GlobMGR.dll from
IVI foundation (I think that gets installed automatically with Agilent IO
Control).

VB6 Example Code from a TDS3000 module:
'===================================================================================
Function tdsOpenScope()
' This needs called before you call any functions that talk to the scope
'
Set ioMgr = New VisaComLib.ResourceManager
Set Scope = New VisaComLib.FormattedIO488
' Address
Set Scope.IO = ioMgr.Open(Trim(TDSAdr))
ScopeOpen = True
Exit Function
End Function
'===================================================================================
Function tdsCloseScope()
'
' When all done talking to the scope in you main module, then call this to
release the resource manager.
'
Scope.FlushRead
Scope.IO.Close
Set Scope.IO = Nothing
Set Scope = Nothing
ScopeOpen = False
Exit Function
End Function
'===================================================================================
Function tdsGetID()
' This is just one command function example. You can write a whole bunch
of these little functions to control the
' scope. See the Scope's programming modules
'
Dim Status As Variant
Scope.WriteString "*IDN?"
Sleep (50)
Status = Scope.ReadString
tdsGetID = Status
End Function

'===================================================================================

In a main code module, you call:
tdsOpenScope
'
Status= tdsGetID
'
Do a lot of other scope commands...
'
tdsClose Scope

---------------------------------
There are other ways. Some of my other equipment modules (Agilent 33250A
Generator Module) does not require me to open and close the generator each
time before calling its commands.

It was a long learning curve for me, probably 5 years. Once I figured it
out, I went through the Tektronix programming manual and wrote a function
(in the Tek Module) for every available programming command. So if I want
to set the MID REFERENCES for pulse width measurement, I have a function I
wrote to do that.

It is fun as sin to program, control and acquire data from my test
equipment. I wrote a lot of VB utilities to do functions I need while
calibrating an instrument (non-test equipment) I am working on. It has
almost become a second language for me.

I prefer to program in VBA in microsoft access as it database results
really easily and then you can create really nice reports for that data, I
have a few Excel spreadsheets with VBA code in them to get pulse time
difference data from the Tek scope and then the spreadsheet can perform
complex calibrations on the pulse difference data and fill in an chart.

Take care,

Dave