Topics

Fw: You have been removed from TekScopes@groups.io

Ken Wright

This is the message I receivedKen M0KHW ----- Forwarded message ----- From: TekScopes@groups.io <tekscopes+owner@groups.io>To: "kenwright309@yahoo.co.uk" <kenwright309@yahoo.co.uk>Sent: Friday, 30 October 2020, 10:09:01 GMTSubject: You have been removed from TekScopes@groups.io
Hello,
You have been automatically removed from TekScopes@groups.io because your Email Service Provider reported to us that message Re: source for blue filters for 2465 family scopes ??from TekScopes@groups.io has been marked as spam.

We suggest that you check your spam folder as soon as possible to see if your Email Service Provider has diverted other legitimate messages into it.

You will receive no more emails from that group. If this was a mistake, you can resume your subscription within the next 7 days by clicking the following link:

Resume Subscription

Groups.io groups offer several options for controlling how much and what types of emails to receive. See this Help Center article for more information.

If this happens repeatedly please check with your Email Service Provider to learn about how they decide to send feedback reports to list services (such as Groups.io groups).

The Groups.io Team

So did you click on the link to resume your subscription - if so all should be well. It was probably a transient problem with your or another ISP.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ken Wright via groups.io
Sent: 31 October 2020 17:39
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Fw: You have been removed from TekScopes@groups.io

This is the message I receivedKen M0KHW ----- Forwarded message ----- From: TekScopes@groups.io <tekscopes+owner@groups.io>To: "kenwright309@yahoo.co.uk" <kenwright309@yahoo.co.uk>Sent: Friday, 30 October 2020, 10:09:01 GMTSubject: You have been removed from TekScopes@groups.io
Hello,
You have been automatically removed from TekScopes@groups.io because your Email Service Provider reported to us that message Re: source for blue filters for 2465 family scopes ??from TekScopes@groups.io has been marked as spam.

Thomas Dodge

Hi,
I don't know why I was removed. I saw the email message, but it was not
from me. Can you please resubscribe me? Thanks. Also, the link to
subscribe was not there. It was just the word, but no link.

Thomas Dodge

From: TekScopes@groups.io <tekscopes+owner@groups.io>To: "
[...]

Richard Knoppow

This message came through the list so you seem to still be on it. I wonder if this is hacking of some sort. You can check if you are subscribed on the web site. I would not return anything until you are sure. I suspect there is a hidden URL in the Resume Subscription link. Most e-mail clients will tell you if there is. The whole message doesn't quite make sense so I suspect it is phishing of some sort and you will be asked for all sorts of personal info.

From: TekScopes@groups.io <tekscopes+owner@groups.io>To: "

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com

Thomas Dodge

Thanks Richard, I appreciate the email. I did look in my spam folder and
didn't see anything from TekScopes in there. I think this forum is valuable
because its good to know how to work on the scopes. I actually have
three scopes at home. I have an old Tektronix 533 which I need to fix. I
have the manual for it. It does show a beam in the beamfinder but that's
about it. I also have a 7000 series scope and I think it works but not
sure. I also have a TDS684 that is in very good shape that I picked up from
a place with old equipment, and I had my eye on this scope for months and
finally got it. When I first turned it on, it didn't do anything, but after
a while, it all lit up, and was ok. when I turned it on later, it did the
same thing as before, so not sure how to fix it. It would be cool if I
could work on it with someone in my area, who has a lot of experience with
these, because I am very aware of the high voltage section. How would I get
in touch with someone in my area? I am in Glendora, Calif. Thanks.

Thomas Dodge

-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io <tekscopes+owner@groups.io>To: "
[...]

There is definitely hacking going on. Periodically I get notices that my ISP is discontinuing me unless I send a mail with all sorts of stuff on it. Its a stupid message because it says first that my e-mail address is invalid despite its being the address they use and my billing address is invalid. Just stupid. I just delete them. I suspect this is something of the same sort, If you answer you will get an authentic looking site that will ask you to give away everything you own. Just delete the message. It didn't come from the list or Groups IO but others may have gotten them.

From: TekScopes@groups.io <tekscopes+owner@groups.io>To: "
[...]

Harvey White

can't help with the hacking, but.... (replies interleaved)

On 10/31/2020 4:07 PM, Thomas Dodge wrote:
Thanks Richard, I appreciate the email. I did look in my spam folder and
didn't see anything from TekScopes in there. I think this forum is valuable
because its good to know how to work on the scopes. I actually have
three scopes at home. I have an old Tektronix 533 which I need to fix. I
have the manual for it. It does show a beam in the beamfinder but that's
about it.
If there's a beam in the beamfinder, then it's possible that:

1) the trigger circuitry is not running since beam finder forces a running horizontal sweep

2) the horizontal sweep is way off center.  For a centered trace, the output of the horizontal amplifier (and vertical) should be equal so that the plates see a zero voltage differential.

I also have a 7000 series scope and I think it works but not
sure.
For any such scope, get the manual and go through the checkout procedure.  First thing to do (always!) is to check the power supply voltages.
I also have a TDS684 that is in very good shape that I picked up from
a place with old equipment, and I had my eye on this scope for months and
finally got it. When I first turned it on, it didn't do anything, but after
a while, it all lit up, and was ok. when I turned it on later, it did the
same thing as before, so not sure how to fix it.
There's a bit of data on the list about the power supplies.  It sounds like your scope power supply is not coming up for a while, possibly leaky capacitors, but others would know better.

I'm about as far away from California as you can get and still be in the continental US.

Harvey

From: TekScopes@groups.io <tekscopes+owner@groups.io>To: "
[...]

Hi Harvey,
Thanks for your email. I will check on those things you mentioned. I really
love Tektronix scopes and other equipment. There is nothing like it
anywhere. I hope to find someone local to me that can advise me on it.
Thanks very much.

Tom Dodge.

From: TekScopes@groups.io <tekscopes+owner@groups.io>To: "
[...]

Greg Muir

Sure sounds like a nefarious email to me.

I never open any emails that look suspicious. I use an older version of MS Outlook Express which allows me to open any email in plain ASCII complete with headers. That way I can passively read the email without opening it, obtain all of the originating IP addresses in the header, enter them into any of the IP user search sites on the Internet and see where they came from. If the text or addresses look bad I can simply delete the email without ever opening it.

Have never had any bad experiences with emails and have had 100% success killing all Trojan virus and phishing emails. My ISP also has a great outfit in New York (BlueTie) that examines every email before it hits the local server. General spam emails never make it through.

Greg

Ken Wright

Hi David.That is what I did then informed the moderator.
Ken

On Saturday, 31 October 2020, 18:01:23 GMT, David C. Partridge <david.partridge@perdrix.co.uk> wrote:

So did you click on the link to resume your subscription - if so all should be well.  It was probably a transient problem with your or another ISP.

David

This is the message I receivedKen M0KHW  ----- Forwarded message ----- From: TekScopes@groups.io <tekscopes+owner@groups.io>To: "kenwright309@yahoo.co.uk" <kenwright309@yahoo.co.uk>Sent: Friday, 30 October 2020, 10:09:01 GMTSubject: You have been removed from TekScopes@groups.io
Hello,
You have been automatically removed from TekScopes@groups.io because your Email Service Provider reported to us that message Re: source for blue filters for 2465 family scopes ??from TekScopes@groups.io has been marked as spam.

Hi Thomas,
I checked your membership. According to the TekScopes database you were never removed and you are still an active member.
You can confirm this for yourself since you are able to send messages to TekScopes regarding this issue and you have responded to several other TekScopes members about the message you received.

I can't explain the notice you received about being removed but I think that if you examine it carefully you will find evidence it did not come from TekScopes or Groups.io.
Dennis Tillman W7pF

From: TekScopes@groups.io <tekscopes+owner@groups.io>To: "
[...]

TekScopes Moderator

Oz-in-DFW

As a practical security matter, *never* clink a link in an email. Even if it looks like it's someone you can trust.

This is the primary way ransomware and most other malware is propagated. The bad guys are getting really good at looking like good guys 9including personal contacts.)

--
Oz (in DFW) N1OZ

Paul Amaranth

The From: field in the email header is trivial to forge. If you
really want to see where the mail originated, you need to look
at the Received: header in the full list. Most mail programs
will let you look at that, although not usually by default.

My Tekscopes mail, for example, has a Received header that looks
something like this:

Reasonable, since it comes from groups.io. If it doesn't say
groups.io, it's not a real Tekscopes email.

I spent 12 years doing computer security and about once a week
I get an email that takes close examination to verify that it's
a fraud. Some of them are really good. Note that I said verify.
If it looks odd, it's probably fake. EVERYBODY'S A TARGET and
social engineering is incredibly effective.

Note the phrasing, that's often a big clue. A real email (if it
actually existed) would more likely say "you're unsubscribed from
Tekscopes at groups.io", and not use the email address of the group.
Or, it would be more to the point since a moderator was sending
you a note. You may be so upset about the subject (Wait! I didn't
do anything!) that you may overlook details like that. That's
by design.

Sometimes I do follow the link (using appropriate tools), but that's
only to see what kind of obfuscated javascript payload they're trying
to deliver.

Paul

On Sun, Nov 01, 2020 at 02:51:35PM -0800, Oz-in-DFW wrote:
As a practical security matter, *never* clink a link in an email. Even if it looks like it's someone you can trust.

This is the primary way ransomware and most other malware is propagated. The bad guys are getting really good at looking like good guys 9including personal contacts.)

--
Oz (in DFW) N1OZ

!DSPAM:5f9f3c0079782036810524!

SCMenasian

I often find that, if I examine the url or email address that the message wants me to click on or respond to, I find that it is obviously bogus (sometimes in another country), confirming my suspicion that the message is fraudulent. My email program (claws-mail) makes this easy; I do not know about others.

Richard Knoppow

I don't remember if Thunderbird can be set to download only headers or only a limited size. Used to be important if one was on a dial-up (I still have a dial up account but hardly ever use it). Mostly I can spot the junk pretty easily. Its still a PITA but I can keep it from being dangerous. Thunderbird has a set of vices all its own but is free and overall works quite well.

On 11/2/2020 9:01 AM, Geoffrey Thomas wrote:
I use Thunderbird too, the advantage in using mailwasher as well is that you get to preview and delete any suspicious email on the server before downloading an advantage for those of you wary of too much bandwidth being used up.
I also run mailwasher in Sandboxie - belt and braces,or belt and suspenders? as you lot over the pond might say.
I have no financial interest in Mailwasher etc.

Geoff.

On 02/11/2020 16:42, Richard Knoppow wrote:
    Thunderbird also will show the complete header and will also show the source message. Usually, it will show the actual URL of any link if you put the mouse pointer over the link. The URL shows up at the bottom of of the screen. Will tell you if you are getting some sort of phishing message.
    FWIW, I get messages fairly frequently telling me I owe money or there is some problem with a subscription or something else. Often very obvious fakes.

On 11/2/2020 8:10 AM, Geoffrey Thomas wrote:
Mailwasher is free and allows you to see everythingin the header and the body in plaintext so avoiding any hidden html nonsense.
This email from Paul shows up as this:
<snip>

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com

Renée

yes it can for either/both...(also saves on download time on dial-up) that is the way mine is set.
Renée

On 11/2/20 9:37 AM, Richard Knoppow wrote:
[...]

Guys, will you stop quoting headers from my email? This is a public
forum and, while the email addresses are obfuscated on the website,
the dns names and IPs are not and there's no reason to enable
harvesting bots.

If you have posted those headers in a reply, I ask that you either
delete the message or edit it so the information is not available.

If not, I ask Dennis to delete those messages.

This is 2020, there's no reason to use real information when
illustrating a point.

Paul

On Mon, Nov 02, 2020 at 08:42:17AM -0800, Richard Knoppow wrote:
   Thunderbird also will show the complete header and will also show the
source message. Usually, it will show the actual URL of any link if you put
the mouse pointer over the link. The URL shows up at the bottom of of the
screen. Will tell you if you are getting some sort of phishing message.
   FWIW, I get messages fairly frequently telling me I owe money or there is
some problem with a subscription or something else. Often very obvious
fakes.

On 11/2/2020 8:10 AM, Geoffrey Thomas wrote:
Mailwasher is free and allows you to see everythingin the header and the
body in plaintext so avoiding any hidden html nonsense.
This email from Paul shows up as this:

[HEADER INFORMATION DELETED]