FTAGH: Free to a good home: 465/475 scopes


Jeff Davis
 

Hi All,

I have roughly 25 Tek 465, 465B, 475, and 475A scopes, some with DMMs, available free for local pickup in the Orange County, California area.

These are in various stages of functionality from fully functional to won't turn on. Most have had some preliminary troubleshooting but I haven't attempted to repair any of these.

My intention was to fix them up and resell them on eBay as a retirement project. I found that the market prices for them didn't justify the time and effort to refurbish them (for someone else. For my own use is a different story!).

Unfortunately, any of these that aren't gone in a month or so will end up in the landfill, so I'd really like to see them find good homes. That said, I don't want to ship them - local pickup only.

73,

Jeff / N0DY


greenboxmaven
 

Would you be willing to take one or two of the scopes to a Fedex store, they can pack and ship them with no further effort on your part and I can do all of the payment from my end. Thanks,

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 7/6/21 16:53, Jeff Davis wrote:
Hi All,

I have roughly 25 Tek 465, 465B, 475, and 475A scopes, some with DMMs, available free for local pickup in the Orange County, California area.

These are in various stages of functionality from fully functional to won't turn on. Most have had some preliminary troubleshooting but I haven't attempted to repair any of these.

My intention was to fix them up and resell them on eBay as a retirement project. I found that the market prices for them didn't justify the time and effort to refurbish them (for someone else. For my own use is a different story!).

Unfortunately, any of these that aren't gone in a month or so will end up in the landfill, so I'd really like to see them find good homes. That said, I don't want to ship them - local pickup only.

73,

Jeff / N0DY




Jeff Davis
 

Sure, I can do that, no problem. If it makes no difference to you, the UPS store is somewhat more convenient for me.

Jeff

On Jul 6, 2021, at 3:29 PM, greenboxmaven via groups.io <ka2ivy=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Would you be willing to take one or two of the scopes to a Fedex store, they can pack and ship them with no further effort on your part and I can do all of the payment from my end. Thanks,

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY





On 7/6/21 16:53, Jeff Davis wrote:
Hi All,

I have roughly 25 Tek 465, 465B, 475, and 475A scopes, some with DMMs, available free for local pickup in the Orange County, California area.

These are in various stages of functionality from fully functional to won't turn on. Most have had some preliminary troubleshooting but I haven't attempted to repair any of these.

My intention was to fix them up and resell them on eBay as a retirement project. I found that the market prices for them didn't justify the time and effort to refurbish them (for someone else. For my own use is a different story!).

Unfortunately, any of these that aren't gone in a month or so will end up in the landfill, so I'd really like to see them find good homes. That said, I don't want to ship them - local pickup only.

73,

Jeff / N0DY







David Baum
 

Hi Jeff,

I'd be interested in picking a unit or two (or three?).
Can you contact me at davidbaumtek@gmail.com for more details?

David


Rey
 

Hi Jeff,
I would love to get 2-3 (475/475A), I'm in San Diego so I can drive up there best during the week if possible. cis181ellin@yahoo.com
Thanks


Gordon Smith
 

Hi Jeff,
I must most strongly advise you to NOT ship this scope (or any other item that can be broken) via UPS. Having them pack it is fine, but please do not ship via UPS. I and many others have had nothing but bad experiences with them for breakable items. As was recommended to me once, if you are shipping something with UPS please pack assuming that your item will be dropped 12 ft onto a hard concrete floor. And I am not joking. If you really want the scope to make it through the mail, please please ship via Fedex or USPS. That is just my experience, YMMV.

73, Gordon KJ6IKT

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 03:36 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
Sure, I can do that, no problem. If it makes no difference to you, the UPS
store is somewhat more convenient for me.

Jeff
On Jul 6, 2021, at 3:29 PM, greenboxmaven via groups.io
<ka2ivy=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Would you be willing to take one or two of the scopes to a Fedex store,
they can pack and ship them with no further effort on your part and I can do
all of the payment from my end. Thanks,

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY


Jeff Davis
 

Hi all,

It appears that I’ll have no trouble finding homes for all of these scopes. Accordingly, I’m going to revert to my “local pickup only” policy. If we have already discussed shipping, then of course I’ll honor my commitment but it’s local pickup from here on out.

Regarding the below, if I’m shipping a scope to you, it’s your call whether to use Fedex or UPS. I can take the scopes to either place.

Thanks for understanding!

73,
Jeff / N0DY

On Jul 6, 2021, at 10:23 PM, Gordon Smith <gfsmith@cox.net> wrote:

Hi Jeff,
I must most strongly advise you to NOT ship this scope (or any other item that can be broken) via UPS. Having them pack it is fine, but please do not ship via UPS. I and many others have had nothing but bad experiences with them for breakable items. As was recommended to me once, if you are shipping something with UPS please pack assuming that your item will be dropped 12 ft onto a hard concrete floor. And I am not joking. If you really want the scope to make it through the mail, please please ship via Fedex or USPS. That is just my experience, YMMV.

73, Gordon KJ6IKT

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 03:36 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:
Sure, I can do that, no problem. If it makes no difference to you, the UPS
store is somewhat more convenient for me.

Jeff
On Jul 6, 2021, at 3:29 PM, greenboxmaven via groups.io
<ka2ivy=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Would you be willing to take one or two of the scopes to a Fedex store,
they can pack and ship them with no further effort on your part and I can do
all of the payment from my end. Thanks,

Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY




Jim Strohm
 

As far as shipping via UPS? ALWAYS insure for something far higher than
cost, declare it as FRAGILE ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT, <whatever it is>, and
have the UPS counter (NOT a UPS storefront) verify the packing. Then if it
gets dropped, the recipient gets his money pack, UPS takes away the
destroyed unit, and you make a big profit.

I lost a historically significant Sun engine scope to UPS once and made
$400 after repaying the seller and eating the shipping. On another note,
my company had a remote site ship a hincky-acting desktop PC pack to us for
repair, and UPS craterd it. However, they took the minimum (free)
valuation of $100, and we received a destroyed $1800 PC. This was back
when white-box PCs were worth something.

And then there was the 4-foot-long slender cardboard box of miniblind
valances that arrived, tied in a pretzel. The common denominator was, as
my father-in-law noted when the valances arrived, was "So your company name
is pronounced 'OOOPS' right?"

Given a chance, UPS can and WILL destroy almost anything fragile, no matter
how well it's packed. It's why those G-force indicator labels were
invented.

73
Jim N6OTQ


Keith
 

Glad to see you California based guys picking up these scopes! Good to know they’ll escape the landfill. 🙂

Hate to pile on UPS here, they’re are some good folks over there...but sadly when it come to scopes I’ve had the same experience.

This is a true story, and I have the pictures to prove it. Bought a “bargain” 575 curve tracer from Ohio. Paid $210 (!) for “special shipping and packing” done at a UPS store. It arrived, but obviously dropped hard. The CRT was broken...like broken in multiple pieces. :-/ Fortunately I had over insured it, just as Jim suggests. Yea! I got a “free curve tracer”. The rest of the story is the laugher. So I bought a replacement CRT for it with some of the insurance payoff, right? The seller shipped the replacement CRT via UPS. You guessed it, UPS broke the replacement CRT too.

You just can’t make this stuff up... 😂


-
 

Thats exactly why I will not ship anything via UPS. They routinely handle
cargo exactly like the gorillas in the old American Tourister ads handled
suit cases. I shipped my 576 via FexEx and they were much more careful
with the handling but when it arrived here the driver was a young girl and
the curve probably weighed more than she did. It was a struggle for both of
us working together to get the overly large and well padded box off of the
truck without dropping it.

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 8:18 AM Keith <coolblueglow@gmail.com> wrote:

Glad to see you California based guys picking up these scopes! Good to
know they’ll escape the landfill. 🙂

Hate to pile on UPS here, they’re are some good folks over there...but
sadly when it come to scopes I’ve had the same experience.

This is a true story, and I have the pictures to prove it. Bought a
“bargain” 575 curve tracer from Ohio. Paid $210 (!) for “special shipping
and packing” done at a UPS store. It arrived, but obviously dropped hard.
The CRT was broken...like broken in multiple pieces. :-/ Fortunately I had
over insured it, just as Jim suggests. Yea! I got a “free curve tracer”.
The rest of the story is the laugher. So I bought a replacement CRT for it
with some of the insurance payoff, right? The seller shipped the
replacement CRT via UPS. You guessed it, UPS broke the replacement CRT too.

You just can’t make this stuff up... 😂






Rey
 

I was told by the shipper(Postal annex), if is fragile and heavy not to use UPS period unless you want to file a claim. I personally seen them sign for a pickup and leave it at the counter.


George Kerber
 

FYI. We just received a large package from Keysight. They shipped it by
FedEx - absolutely no damage to any part of the box. The instrument was
packaged with at least 6 inches from any edge of the box to the instrument.
So a small dent here and there would not have damaged the instrument.

Personally, I have not had any real problems with UPS. Our UPS driver is
very careful and has been on our route for a long time (same as the FedEx
driver). We have received some very heavy instruments shipped via UPS
without incident. It all depends on how the item was packaged. - George

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 9:15 AM Rey via groups.io <Cis181ellin=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I was told by the shipper(Postal annex), if is fragile and heavy not to
use UPS period unless you want to file a claim. I personally seen them sign
for a pickup and leave it at the counter.






Michael W. Lynch
 

On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 11:39 AM, George Kerber wrote:


Our UPS driver is
very careful and has been on our route for a long time (same as the FedEx
driver). We have received some very heavy instruments shipped via UPS
without incident. It all depends on how the item was packaged.
While I agree that proper and sufficient packing is essential, the drivers are not a significant part of the problem. My UPS drivers are typically very careful when picking up or delivering! The problem becomes serious in at the sorting centers, before or after the driver handles the package. Almost all sorting is done with automatic equipment and this equipment can be brutal. I have seen videos where the sorting machines literally kick packages off the conveyors and onto the floor. This is why packages with marginal packing can suffer even more damage.

This is not limited to UPS, all the major shippers use essentially the same equipment and methods. Since CRT's are especially vulnerable, they need even more careful packing. Instruments containing CRT's can be dropped hard enough to flex the chassis sufficiently to break the CRT envelope or internal parts and have little or no evidence of physical damage to the instrument. One needs to pack for the worst possible handling imaginable, then add 10% more padding.

Regardless of how careful you are, you still take your chances when receiving or shipping any delicate cargo.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR


 

I normally use Fedex. They seem to be a great deal more careful with packages. UPS can be pretty destructive.


Dave Seiter
 

I try too also, since USPS uses UPS's facilities, but even the local FedEx guy old me that while their workers do the best they can, their robots don't care.
-Dave

On Friday, July 9, 2021, 05:14:21 PM PDT, bhome1959 <bhome@sympatico.ca> wrote:

I normally use Fedex.  They seem to be a great deal more careful with packages.  UPS can be pretty destructive.


Reginald Beardsley
 

FWIW I bought a LeCroy DDA-120 which was shipped via FedEx. It was completely smashed. In part poor packing and in part poor handling (dropped several feet). I do agree that UPS is rougher, but with proper packing it's not often a problem. I have had a *lot* of boat anchors shipped to me via UPS and FedEx the last few years. Packing makes the difference.

Reg


Brenda
 

I know that we are way off topic, but since we are talking about previous shipping experiences, FedEx is my worst one. Any Tektronix scope that was delivered via FedEx has been totally destroyed. The last scope delivered by FedEx was a 531A, and the CRT was in tiny pieces and the type CA plug-in was destroyed also. My camera in front of the house caught everything, the driver was shoved the package out of the back of the truck and the camera picked up the implosion of the CRT. The driver actually left the package on the sidewalk in front of my home. I have tried to bring this scope back to life but the entire scope is twisted in a very subtle way that it can't be used. However, in regards to UPS, I have yet to receive a Tektronix scope severely damaged. My 2 561A's, 564, 565, 503 and 504 were delivered by UPS with no issues. I still am upset about my 531A, so I will have to fix up my 533A which is going to be a big job. In either case, it depends on who cares about their jobs or not. Just my 2 cents.

Brenda


JJ
 

Going back some 15 yrs, my 576 was delivered from a surplus auction -
double wrapped in contractor's plastic bags, suspended inside a box with
foam spray in insulation, that box suspended in another much large box
suspended in foam insulation. It took me about an hour to free it - arrived
in perfect condition!

John


Gordon Smith
 

I collect older Tube radios. The absolute best (and worst) packing jobs I have seen are in the packing of these heavy boat-anchors. The best packaging was for an absolutely pristine National HRO-5 receiver. The guy who sold it to me (who was selling it on behalf of a silent key's estate sale) did so under the priviso that the packaging would cost me $100 in addition to the cost of the receiver. One of the best $100 I ever spent. Everything was wrapped excessively, protected and came through with nary a scratch. And then there was the guy who couldn't even pack a ceramic wafer switch properly and it broke in the shipping. I still shake my head about that.

Thank You, Gordon

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 05:13 AM, JJ wrote:
Going back some 15 yrs, my 576 was delivered from a surplus auction -
double wrapped in contractor's plastic bags, suspended inside a box with
foam spray in insulation, that box suspended in another much large box
suspended in foam insulation. It took me about an hour to free it - arrived
in perfect condition!

John