FG504 - End of Production

John Ferguson

Thanks guys,

End of production was 1993 for FG503s.  I wondered how recently they could have been used for training or ?? in an actual Tektronix facility?  I would sort of think not past 2000, which would mean if that is where these were, they were last used more than 20 years ago.

I have Sun SPARCstation 10 sitting in front of me that dates to 1993.  Except for a 5 year gap, it has been running 24/7 ever since.

I did replace the drives with a micro-sd-SCSI adaptor which lets me configure a 10 GB Micro SD to pretend to be 4 2-GIG drives - 2 gig being the biggest filesystem that can run on SunOS 4.1.4

So old isn't necessarily bad, but sitting in a warehouse for 20 years probably isn't so good.

john

John Ferguson wrote:

So old isn't necessarily bad, but sitting in a warehouse for 20 years probably isn't so good.
that depends on the environment in the warehouse (or wherever). If it was cool and dry then the unit could be nearly as good as new. The only thing I would be worried about would be electrolytic caps, if there are any. Even then, I've got instruments that are twice as old as this one whose original electrolytics are still good (or have not shown signs of being bad, yet), so these could be fine.

-- Jeff Dutky

Kevin Oconnor

Sparc 10 still in use... What do you use it for? I'd think a discarded i3 laptop would beat it, but I could be mis-informed!
On the FG504 issue...
Mine has a serial near B0594XX. Had it for 35 years at least. Still works, albeit some touchy pushbuttons. Never worked on it either.
To my knowledge Tek sold off the entire TM500 modular plugin production line and inventory in the early 1990s to a third
party, (had Tek or tec in the name I think). You could buy new modules from them for several years. They even created some
new ones if I am remembering correctly. They were eventually discontinued, but I cant remember when.

Surely there is someone here with less faulty memory than me who remembers the details.

Kevin - KO3Y

Ken Eckert

Tegam was the company

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022, Kevin Oconnor <kjo@cryden.com> wrote:

Sparc 10 still in use... What do you use it for? I'd think a discarded i3
laptop would beat it, but I could be mis-informed!
On the FG504 issue...
Mine has a serial near B0594XX. Had it for 35 years at least. Still works,
albeit some touchy pushbuttons. Never worked on it either.
To my knowledge Tek sold off the entire TM500 modular plugin production
line and inventory in the early 1990s to a third
party, (had Tek or tec in the name I think). You could buy new modules
from them for several years. They even created some
new ones if I am remembering correctly. They were eventually discontinued,
but I cant remember when.

Surely there is someone here with less faulty memory than me who remembers
the details.

Kevin - KO3Y

John Ferguson

the sparc runs two applications which won't run on anything newer and which I could not afford to buy the current incarnations. hostid locked but do belong to me.

On 1/25/22 19:32, Kevin Oconnor wrote:
Sparc 10 still in use... What do you use it for? I'd think a discarded i3 laptop would beat it, but I could be mis-informed!
On the FG504 issue...
Mine has a serial near B0594XX. Had it for 35 years at least. Still works, albeit some touchy pushbuttons. Never worked on it either.
To my knowledge Tek sold off the entire TM500 modular plugin production line and inventory in the early 1990s to a third
party, (had Tek or tec in the name I think). You could buy new modules from them for several years. They even created some
new ones if I am remembering correctly. They were eventually discontinued, but I cant remember when.

Surely there is someone here with less faulty memory than me who remembers the details.

Kevin - KO3Y

Kevin Oconnor

@Ken
Thanks, that's the name. Looks like they survived to present day better than Tektronix.......