Topics

EZ Test for 4041

Gary Robert Bosworth

Does anyone have a DC-100A tape with Tektronix EZ-TEST software on it for the Tektronix 4041 GPIB Controller, that they are interested in selling? Mine has become weak with time and is not reliable anymore.
Gary

Dave Brown

My 4041 is still languishing here due to lack of a DC100A tape that will allow me to boot it and make it useable. Think I'm about ready to give up and part it out or whatever - it's only been sitting here unused for well over 10 years! What they need is for some clever dude to come up with an adapter to boot them or load other software from an SD card or similar.
DaveB, NZ

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Robert Bosworth
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2019 13:32
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] EZ Test for 4041

Does anyone have a DC-100A tape with Tektronix EZ-TEST software on it for the Tektronix 4041 GPIB Controller, that they are interested in selling? Mine has become weak with time and is not reliable anymore.
Gary

Vince Vielhaber

There was a hard drive available for it. It was small, 10MB I think, but it worked. Really slow, but better than tapes.

Vince - K8ZW.

On 06/06/2019 01:07 AM, Dave Brown wrote:
My 4041 is still languishing here due to lack of a DC100A tape that will allow me to boot it and make it useable. Think I'm about ready to give up and part it out or whatever - it's only been sitting here unused for well over 10 years! What they need is for some clever dude to come up with an adapter to boot them or load other software from an SD card or similar.
DaveB, NZ

From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Robert Bosworth
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2019 13:32
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] EZ Test for 4041

Gary

Stephen Bell

Dave,

I have a similar issue with my 4041. I have been attempting to reverse engineer the tape controller with a view to making up a tape emulator based on an SD card. However, due to lack of time and it being a difficult circuit to decipher, I haven’t made much progress on this.

In the interim I have been experimenting using a terminal emulator, via a custom adapter to convert RS232 to the keyboard port logic levels, to enter suitable commands to transfer the console port to the rear panel RS232 port. On this port I connect a PC terminal emulator and can use the PC to edit, upload and save programs. At the moment this is a tedious process as I have to enter the initial commands into the terminal emulator by hand but I have been thinking of programming up a little micro controller to fit inside the LEMO plug and automatically squirt the requisite commands into the keyboard port every time the 4041 is powered up. Again, due to lack of time, I haven’t made any progress on this.

I see from your signature that you are a Kiwi. I am located in Christchurch. Perhaps we could get together and collaborate to make these 4041s usable again.

Stephen

Gary Robert Bosworth

It is hard for me to understand why Tektronix did not include a small boot
ROM to get the instrument up and running. Why boot from mag tape which is
notorious for weak signals after a few years of sitting around?

There are two things that I still need for my 4041. I need a 160K memory
card, and the ROM04. If you have either of these, I am interested to
purchase them.
Gary B.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 7:22 PM <s.r.bell@...> wrote:

Dave,

I have a similar issue with my 4041. I have been attempting to reverse
engineer the tape controller with a view to making up a tape emulator based
on an SD card. However, due to lack of time and it being a difficult
circuit to decipher, I haven’t made much progress on this.

In the interim I have been experimenting using a terminal emulator, via a
custom adapter to convert RS232 to the keyboard port logic levels, to enter
suitable commands to transfer the console port to the rear panel RS232
port. On this port I connect a PC terminal emulator and can use the PC to
edit, upload and save programs. At the moment this is a tedious process as
I have to enter the initial commands into the terminal emulator by hand but
I have been thinking of programming up a little micro controller to fit
inside the LEMO plug and automatically squirt the requisite commands into
the keyboard port every time the 4041 is powered up. Again, due to lack of
time, I haven’t made any progress on this.

I see from your signature that you are a Kiwi. I am located in
Christchurch. Perhaps we could get together and collaborate to make these
4041s usable again.

Stephen

--
Gary Robert Bosworth
@grbosworth
Tel: 310-317-2247

Dave Brown

Gary
I dare say back in 1982 when the 4041 was introduced they had no idea that anyone would still be wanting to use one nearly 40 years later.
Small tape drives for use as 'flexible/versatile' read/write storage were a common feature back then as well.
There are some ROMs in the ROM carrier but will have to dig the hardware out to check exactly what is in there. Given there is another 4041 close at hand (Stephen's post was a surprise in more ways than one-not seen him since engineering school) I will hold off on the parting out process at this stage but should I proceed with that and have anything you are interested in available, I'll get back to you.
DaveB, NZ

Sent: Friday, June 07, 2019 14:36
To: TekScopes@groups io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] EZ Test for 4041

It is hard for me to understand why Tektronix did not include a small boot ROM to get the instrument up and running. Why boot from mag tape which is notorious for weak signals after a few years of sitting around?

There are two things that I still need for my 4041. I need a 160K memory card, and the ROM04. If you have either of these, I am interested to purchase them.
Gary B.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 7:22 PM <s.r.bell@...> wrote:

Dave,

I have a similar issue with my 4041. I have been attempting to reverse
engineer the tape controller with a view to making up a tape emulator
based on an SD card. However, due to lack of time and it being a
difficult circuit to decipher, I haven’t made much progress on this.

In the interim I have been experimenting using a terminal emulator,
via a custom adapter to convert RS232 to the keyboard port logic
levels, to enter suitable commands to transfer the console port to the
rear panel RS232 port. On this port I connect a PC terminal emulator
and can use the PC to edit, upload and save programs. At the moment
this is a tedious process as I have to enter the initial commands into
the terminal emulator by hand but I have been thinking of programming
up a little micro controller to fit inside the LEMO plug and
automatically squirt the requisite commands into the keyboard port
every time the 4041 is powered up. Again, due to lack of time, I haven’t made any progress on this.

I see from your signature that you are a Kiwi. I am located in
Christchurch. Perhaps we could get together and collaborate to make
these 4041s usable again.

Stephen

--
Gary Robert Bosworth
@grbosworth
Tel: 310-317-2247

Monty McGraw

The 4041 Utility ROMpack R04 manual on bitsavers has a couple of interesting rom calls:

• Loadroms is a Soft ROMpack loader that could load ROMs from a file on tape or disk into memory (pg 1-1)
  • PROM File System allows ASCII or ITEM files to be read from PROMs as device name PROM0 which is read-only but supports all the BASIC commands other than SAVE (also on pg 1-1)

Two problems with the PROM file system - the Tektronix ROM Carriers are 'almost unobtainable' although I have found two different sources the price is over $50 for a single plastic cover with two EPROMs in the Molex carriers. Second problem is the PRMBLD and RMXFER are two BASIC programs that came with the 4041 "Accessory Kit" for programming 4041 PROMs. I can't find those programs :(

I think it would be relatively easy to make a 4041 ROM Drawer compatible circuit board that would emulate the ROM Drawer with larger EPROMs.

We just need the PRMBLD and RMXFER programs to create the 'tape' file for a PROM0.

The manual indicates on page 7-1 if the PROM0 contains an AUTOLD file, this file will automatically become the default SYSDEV device and the AUTOLD will be loaded automatically at power-up!