From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jean-Paul
Sent: 19 June 2021 10:59
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Email adresses of group exposed

Hello all: Somehow the masking of our email adresses after the poster's name has been compromised.

If you google your own email address the messages posted to Tekscopes and other Groups.io will show up with FULL EMAIL address exposed.

This explains why we are inundated with spam.

Can the group admin or Groups.io Admin fix the appearance of our own email adresses on the sie and messages?

I can post a screenshot if needed.
MANY THANKS

Kind Regards,

Jon

I would agree with Jena-Paul. I googled my email address and it did show
the Tekscopes messages with email addy. And I have recently seen more spam
in my inbox. Not inundated, but an unusual amiount

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 6:10 AM Colin Herbert via groups.io <colingherbert=
blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Jean-Paul,
You may well be "inundated with spam" but I am not. The way my posts come
from "Tekscopes" is the same as it always has been - some email addresses
are easily seen, but some are slightly obscured by a method which a human
can get around. Perhaps the problem is at your end?
Colin.

Hello all: Somehow the masking of our email adresses after the poster's
name has been compromised.

If you google your own email address the messages posted to Tekscopes and
other Groups.io will show up with FULL EMAIL address exposed.

This explains why we are inundated with spam.

Can the group admin or Groups.io Admin fix the appearance of our own email
adresses on the sie and messages?

I can post a screenshot if needed.
MANY THANKS

Kind Regards,

Jon

John Clark

I would also agree with Jean-Paul. My email address shows up in searches from Tekscopes, as well. I, too, have seen a huge increase in spam recently. Interestingly, I am in another Groups.io group and that group's results are not showing up in Google searches.

John

________________________________

Hello all: Somehow the masking of our email adresses after the poster's
name has been compromised.

If you google your own email address the messages posted to Tekscopes and
other Groups.io will show up with FULL EMAIL address exposed.

This explains why we are inundated with spam.

Can the group admin or Groups.io Admin fix the appearance of our own email
adresses on the sie and messages?

I can post a screenshot if needed.
MANY THANKS

Kind Regards,

Jon

I was wondering why the spam count was suddenly way up...Admin please fix!

Thanks,

John

Alex

It looks like the search engine crawlers have found a way into the groups message database. This might be due to a setting not properly configured, or a recent change made by Io-groups admin themselves, although as pointed out the hits I got off my email address where only from Tekscopes but none from other groups I also subscribe. So it looks like this groups is only affected. BTW I checked my email hits on the Duckduckgo search, I stopped using Google and their invasive tracking and siphoning of ones metadata practices some time ago, and have never looked back since.

https://duckduckgo.com

Roy Morgan

Thanks for the reminder about DuckDuckGo. I have intended to switch.

Not long ago there was an article on BBC News titled something like "What does Amazon (Google?) know about you?" The article was alarming.

Recent tv ads from DuckDuckGo tell about their intention to help us improve our privacy. Is that something beyond the functions of the search engine?

Roy Morgan
K1LKY Western Mass

On Jun 19, 2021, at 10:45 AM, tekscopegroup@miwww.com wrote:

It looks like the search engine crawlers have found a way into the groups message database.

BTW I checked my email hits on the Duckduckgo search, I stopped using Google and their invasive tracking and siphoning of ones metadata practices some time ago, and have never looked back since.

https://duckduckgo.com
-=-=-=-=-

Jean-Paul

Rebonjour a tous....

A few points please...

1/ The posts exposed cover dates December‎ ‎15‎, ‎2018 up to present.

2/ Google search was done with my email in ".." for exact match

3/ That email has been used for may other sites and some of the usual merchants for 20 years.

4/ Of several email addr, its the only one that's spammed daily, in waves, sometimes 10-25 per day. As they all arrive early in the day or overnight, i suspect China.

5/ I cannot spam filter these effectively, nor easily change that address.

6/ Google is worst, Bing finds some of our posts but less, Duck Duck GOGO found ony a few old datasheets, nothing from our group.

7/ No doubt all other groups.io forums are affected.

8/ Another possible penetration is a spammer joins the group and tried to send private messages to every member, harvesting our emails.

Humbly suggest that the SYS ADMIN of groups.io be notified, and modify the website code to better obscure or even delete all email addr and should just out pseudo, except to other members.

Bon Soiree,

Jon

Tom Gardner

Spam is not a problem for me.

I get few spam messages, maybe 15/day, and that hasn't increased recently. With /very/ few exceptions, they end up in /my/ spam folder.

Techniques I use are:

1) turn /off/ all spam filters in my ISP/webmail providers - I want to define what is spam to me, and they often get it wrong. I don't want to have to search their spam boxes to see if they have not sent me an email.

2) gmail is my main email address (e.g. x@gmail.com), but for this group it is x+tekscopes@gmail.com. I use "+ addressing" whenever possible, to make it easier to see the source of email address "leaks"

3) I use thunderbird/seamonkey to read and store email. Local storage is mbox files, so I can easily swap them to another email program if I feel so inclined.

4) I use thunderbird/seamonkey bayesian spam filters to automatically put spam messages in local folders. I check them once a day to see there are no false positives; I get one every few months. I mark the few false negatives as spam; again I get one every few months.

5) I create thunderbird/seamonkey custom filters to put tekscopes in a different folder, to save cluttering up my inbox. (Currently there are 19k messages in my inbox, ahem :) )

On 19/06/21 16:39, Jean-Paul wrote:
[...]

Renée

that being true, a way to assist in more security is make Startpage as the begining page in Firefox...it was recommended not to use the other "popular" browsers. they track like crazy.
Renée

On 6/19/21 8:12 AM, Roy Morgan wrote:
Thanks for the reminder about DuckDuckGo. I have intended to switch.

Not long ago there was an article on BBC News titled something like "What does Amazon (Google?) know about you?" The article was alarming.

Recent tv ads from DuckDuckGo tell about their intention to help us improve our privacy. Is that something beyond the functions of the search engine?

Roy Morgan
K1LKY Western Mass

On Jun 19, 2021, at 10:45 AM, tekscopegroup@miwww.com wrote:

It looks like the search engine crawlers have found a way into the groups message database.
BTW I checked my email hits on the Duckduckgo search, I stopped using Google and their invasive tracking and siphoning of ones metadata practices some time ago, and have never looked back since.

https://duckduckgo.com
-=-=-=-=-

.

Jean-Paul

We use Opera, as well as Firefox, we found that MS Edge is very bad and the "secure" browsers are not as compatible, eg brave or Tor browser.

Any fix should be easy for Opera and Firefox, but the spammers will uncover any weak point.

Jon

Albert Otten

Perhaps related to your choice of Account -> Identity -> Profile Policy ?
Albert

Michael A. Terrell

I see this and the HP/Agilent/Keysight group when I searched my Email,
along with web portals for the various electronics newsgroups.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 10:45 AM <tekscopegroup@miwww.com> wrote:

It looks like the search engine crawlers have found a way into the groups
message database. This might be due to a setting not properly configured,
or a recent change made by Io-groups admin themselves, although as pointed
out the hits I got off my email address where only from Tekscopes but none
from other groups I also subscribe. So it looks like this groups is only
affected. BTW I checked my email hits on the Duckduckgo search, I stopped
using Google and their invasive tracking and siphoning of ones metadata
practices some time ago, and have never looked back since.

David Kuhn

I thought the spam was a problem on my end with GMAIL sorting spam in the
Forums tab. So, it is a problem with the spam coming in the group?

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 2:07 PM Michael A. Terrell <
terrell.michael.a@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

As part of my work involves InfoSec I have some experience:

1.Problem has No connection to what browser or email client you use.

2. A robot web crawler visiting the site and not a member can see the adresses in every quoted reply
eg On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 6:10 AM Colin Herbert via groups.io <colingherbert=
blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

3. The privacy and other setting of the groups user control page has no option to hide any email address in a message or quoted reply.

4. Once your address appears, only a matter of time before its sold with millions of other adresses to the spammers.

5. The solution is not with responsibility of group members but for the admin and Groups.io to fix the security gaps that permit complete email adresses to be publicly seen.

6. The Groups.io admin can find may other groups that have fixed this issue.

Best regards.

Jon

I don't think it matters much any more. Telephones in the US have been rendered worthless already because of third world telemarketers (spam likely). and the internet has become a hodgepodge of spammers, hackers, fake news, and political extremists. I am personally at the point of completely getting rid of these devices just to have some peace. The minuses have overshadowed the pluses to me. My phone number is not mine, my email address is not mine. The crooks own it. Let them use it to cheat each other. The only way anything will be done is for some powerful politician to completely cut off all electronic access to the US, and force those countries to go through a human operator to connect. Then perhaps these countries will begin enforcement within their own countries. The US is the target of the world for scamming. I for one, have had enough.

redarlington

Every one of the messages in this thread (and the rest probably) show the
email address of the person posting. Pretty normal stuff.

-Bob

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021, 9:13 AM Roy Morgan <k1lky68@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Michael W. Lynch

On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 12:01 AM, henryfinley wrote:

I don't think it matters much any more. Telephones in the US have been
rendered worthless already because of third world telemarketers
Amen! I get HUNDREDS of calls and E-mails daily, from these scammer. Either the "IRS" or "SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION" who are going to "arrest me" if I do not send them a Target Gift card to pay my "past due" obligations. The phone and computer that was once a tool has become a burden. Time to cut the cords and live a simpler life. I hope this can be corrected, but I think that the cat is already out of the bag!

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 7:36 AM redarlington <rdarlington@gmail.com> wrote:

Every one of the messages in this thread (and the rest probably) show the
email address of the person posting. Pretty normal stuff.

-Bob
Hits the nail on the head.
If you don't want your email address to be known by absolutely
everyone, do not post it to a PUBLIC LIST, for pete's sake. It's only
logical.

Everyone on this thread spends their whole day posting to this list.
Is it a surprise that a piece of software meant to find things finds
your email address where it's used most often? I'd be surprised if it
didn't - that would mean the search engine is broken.

The fact that your email addresses show up on group archives has
nothing to do with tekscopes and everything to do with the fact you
decided to put it there - in a public spot - in the first place.

Don't get upset about this. Don't call on the admin to do anything.
There's nothing to fix here. Just a bunch of people realizing that
this is, in fact, not a secret society of freemasons.

If you're upset your private email address is now public - next time
use a second email address. I personally have >10 which I use in
different contexts depending on what I'm doing.

Your best bet is to relegate the current email address to lists and
other stuff like that, and set up a new private email address.

Jean-Paul

As Scott McNealy said in 1999, "You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it."