Topics

Early 577 service manual needed.

Eric

Does any one happen to have the original service manual for a 577 D2? It seems I have one of the very early ones # 124. I went through the calibration document that is available on line but there seems to be not enough adjustment to get the amps dialed in. I have it so the spot is moving correctly with respect to polarity. Center for AC, bottom left for + and upper left for -. Also does anyone know if I 154-0633-5 tube can replace a 154-0633-00 from the reading I have done and my understanding of TEK part numbers it should?

SCMenasian

If your serial number is 124, there may be no manual for it. For several years (I don't know how early or how late), Tektronix allowed engineers to keep the development prototype instruments they were working on. These instruments got low serial numbers (as I recollect, 100-1xx). The instruments were unique and might have varied from the final instrument (often better then the production instrument since the engineer owned it and could customize it to his/her needs). Your instrument may be particularly valuable to a collector or museum.

Eric

Scm the serial number on mine is b010124. That could also explain why the
display unit serial number is different it is b010114

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020, 12:00 PM <scm@...> wrote:

If your serial number is 124, there may be no manual for it. For several
years (I don't know how early or how late), Tektronix allowed engineers to
keep the development prototype instruments they were working on. These
instruments got low serial numbers (as I recollect, 100-1xx). The
instruments were unique and might have varied from the final instrument
(often better then the production instrument since the engineer owned it
and could customize it to his/her needs). Your instrument may be
particularly valuable to a collector or museum.

SCMenasian

I'm not sure what I said applies to your instrument. If the SN was exactly 3 digits (1xx), what I said would apply. This was true for instruments manufactured before 1970. When I was a graduate student in Seattle at the time, I came across a 1xx signal generator. One of my friends in Portland know several Tektronix engineers who gave me the information I conveyed in my previous message.

robeughaas@...

Production serial numbers started at B010101, so B010124 is a production instrument, just a very early one. The suffix on the CRT part number designated different phosphors and graticule types. The preferred graticule for a 577 is 10x10 1 Cm centered horizontally. There is also a variant of this CRT that has an 8x10 1.25 CM graticule. Usable, but not the best. There is also probably a variant of this CRT with no graticule. Check the 154- RPR's on the vintageTEK website.

If by "dialing in the amps" you mean the vertical sensitivity on the higher-current ranges is wrong, check the high-current shunts, which are on a board plugged into circuit board in the 177 adapter. It's a piece of thin PCB material with scribe lines to adjust the resistances.

--
Bob Haas

Eric

Bob,

    I did not realize that the preferred was the 10X10 which was option 10. This was the 8 X 10 1.25cm I do have a newer model that is the 10 X 10. Dialing in the amp was adjusting the horizontal and vertical amps for the CRT. Also getting them balanced.  It might be reading a little off due to it not being the better CRT. If i check the 177 on the other curve tracer it reads correctly so I suspect the resisters are fine. Though on this 177 half of the 22 Ohm current scene resisters were burned in half.

Eric

On 10/18/2020 1:20 PM, robeughaas@... wrote:
Production serial numbers started at B010101, so B010124 is a production instrument, just a very early one. The suffix on the CRT part number designated different phosphors and graticule types. The preferred graticule for a 577 is 10x10 1 Cm centered horizontally. There is also a variant of this CRT that has an 8x10 1.25 CM graticule. Usable, but not the best. There is also probably a variant of this CRT with no graticule. Check the 154- RPR's on the vintageTEK website.

If by "dialing in the amps" you mean the vertical sensitivity on the higher-current ranges is wrong, check the high-current shunts, which are on a board plugged into circuit board in the 177 adapter. It's a piece of thin PCB material with scribe lines to adjust the resistances.

robeughaas@...

The 22 ohm resistors are not for current sensing. They are just to connect the Kelvin sensing terminals to the device terminals when a non-Kelvin adapter is used.

--
Bob Haas