Does the 5L4N small grey knob exist elsewhere?

Dave Peterson

I picked up a 5L4N recently. The face is in good condition, but one small grey knob, MULTR/MNL, is smashed.

Looks like I could use a 465 intensity (or equivalent) in its place. But it would be nice to find one like the other 5 on this plug-in.

The 5L4N seemed hard to come by, so I suspect any components unique to it are rare. Does anyone know if this knob exists elsewhere in the Tek universe?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

Have a look at this eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133007725553

specifically #6, #7, and #8

There's also this listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293014729133

There was another eBay seller, from Germany I think, who had a huge selection, but I can't find their listing. I stumbled upon their listing by searching for a specific part number (366-1514-00, a knob for the PG502) and their listing came up as "matching fewer words", but I can't seem to reproduce that search result now.

-- Jeff Dutky

Dave Peterson

A part number would be useful. Unfortunately the Tek Wiki manual is an interim manual and does not appear to have the mechanical parts lists, so I don't know the part number. I do owe myself a more serious effort at searching for a full manual pdf.

I do see a eBay listing for an 5L4N "Instruction Manual", but I don't know that it is going to have the mechanical parts lists (or other service manual content).

So anyone that knows the part number for these knobs, that would be very helpful too.

As always Jeff, your search skills are superior. But I can't tell for sure that the 1 366-1603-00 is correct. It looks close, but it also looks not quite. Without the part number, who can say. The first listings knobs look like the 465 intensity or position knobs. I do have a nice collection of those thanks to Jeff Davis's generosity. I've already checked that the shaft and knob diameters are the same for the intensity style knob, so will work in the meantime.

It's a somewhat peculiar knob with two 0.035" set screws. The base diameter is the same as the 465 intensity (0.375" vs 0.395"), but the taper is more drastic than the 465 vertical position. The black dot on the end being ~0.165" vs. 0.25". The end diameter of the knob is 0.28" vs. 0.36". FWIW.

Thanks for the input Jeff.

On Monday, August 2, 2021, 10:05:01 PM PDT, Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

Dave,

Have a look at this eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133007725553

specifically #6, #7, and #8

There's also this listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/293014729133

There was another eBay seller, from Germany I think, who had a huge selection, but I can't find their listing. I stumbled upon their listing by searching for a specific part number (366-1514-00, a knob for the PG502) and their listing came up as "matching fewer words", but I can't seem to reproduce that search result now.

-- Jeff Dutky

Wayne

There is a 5L4N manual for sale here for $49; could be a "real" manual, or might be the same thing you already have from Tekwiki.. I have bought a number of things from this place. They seem a bit pricey sometimes but I have always gotten what I ordered.

https://www.surplussales.com/Manuals/man_tek2.html

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 07:36 AM, Dave Peterson wrote:

A part number would be useful.
The initial P/N for this knob was 366-1540-00 which was used only
on 5L4N below B071958 and 7L18. For replacement 366-1023-01 should
be used which was also used on B071958 and up. 366-1023-01 is a
very common knob used on a lot of scopes like the 300-series,
400-series, 600-series monitors and a couple of 7k scopes and plugins.

/Håkan

on 5L4N below B071958 and 7L18. For replacement 366-1023-01 should
be used which was also used on B071958 and up
Disregard the S/N reference above. 366-1540-00 was used on all 5L4N from factory.
Still replaced by 366-1023-01 though.

/Håkan

Dave Peterson

Thanks for the detailed input Hakan. There's a good image on the QService site, and it looks like it's effectively the same as the 465 intensity (focus, scale illum), but without the white index mark.

It's interesting that this is a reversion to the single 1/16" set screw, as opposed to the two 0.035" in the original knob. Guess they were just experimenting with an alternate implementation? Wonder if the unusually small set screw was a difficulty in the field. I was very fortunate that a recommendation from this forum led me to a set I keep on my bench as it's so perfectly suited to all of the set screws I've encountered on my Tek equipment:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N9B6BC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That was the first time the 0.035" came out. Have yet to use the 0.028". Wink.

Hakan, do you know if the "Instruction Manual"s available for sale are the full service manual for the 5L4N? The interim manual PDF on the Tek Wiki site lists a table of contents that seems to be a full service manual: calibration, circuit descriptions, mechanical parts diagrams, etc. If it is a full service manual I should pick one up.

Thanks all! I think the original question/query is answered.
Dave

On Tuesday, August 3, 2021, 7:39:54 AM PDT, zenith5106 via groups.io <hahi=telia.com@groups.io> wrote:

on 5L4N below B071958 and 7L18. For replacement 366-1023-01 should
be used which was also used on B071958 and up
Disregard the S/N reference above. 366-1540-00 was used on all 5L4N from factory.
Still replaced by 366-1023-01 though.

/Håkan

Victor

Hi,
In my 5L4N manual (Instruction Manual - printing JAN 1975) the MULTR/MNL part number appears to be 366-1608-00. Hope this help.
Victor

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 06:03 PM, Victor wrote:

In my 5L4N manual (Instruction Manual - printing JAN 1975) the MULTR/MNL part
number appears to be 366-1608-00.
As far as can see #1 on the exploded drawing which is 366-1608-00
is the CAL knob with red top. The MULTR/MNL is #7. I agree that the
7 looks almost as a 1 on the drawing but the clue is how many of
each P/N is used i.e.1 of 366-1608-00 and 6 of 366-1540-00.

Hakan, do you know if the "Instruction Manual"s available for sale are the full service manual for the 5L4N?
I don't know about any manual available for sale but if the P/N is 070-1733-00 then it is the full manual.
Last revision date is July 1982.

/Håkan