DIY Peltola Cables/Connectors or Options

I'm planning to add a readout board to a 7603 Option 1, but I don't have the cables to connect the readout board to the rest of the scope. Those cables all have Peltola connectors on at least one end, and I am thinking about either rolling my own Peltola connectors from stranded core coax (with the bare ends tinned to make them behave more like solid wire) and PCB repair or consumer grade grommets, or replacing the connectors with something else (e.g. MCX or MMCX connectors, per a discussion elsewhere on this list).

I've measured the Peltola connector's outer grommet as having an outer diameter of 4mm, and an inner diameter of ~3mm (which I expect means that I would use an inner grommet with outer diameter of 3mm). I was planning solder the braid to the grommets rather than crimping, because I don't have a good option for a crimping tool.

Replacing the Peltola connectors with something else has some appeal, as it would expand my options for cable use, and would certainly be electrically sound, but it's a significant modification to the scope. Rolling my own Peltola connectors would look slightly more original (though I won't be able to get the color coded coax that Tek used), but I worry that it won't actually work very well (if at all).

I would welcome any thoughts or advice.

-- Jeff Dutky

Siggi

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 3:59 PM Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

Replacing the Peltola connectors with something else has some appeal, as
it would expand my options for cable use, and would certainly be
electrically sound, but it's a significant modification to the scope.
Rolling my own Peltola connectors would look slightly more original (though
I won't be able to get the color coded coax that Tek used), but I worry
that it won't actually work very well (if at all).

I would welcome any thoughts or advice.
According to this web page, you can order Peltola connector parts from Tek:
https://www.tek.com/support/faqs/what-part-number-peltola-connector-used-many-tek-oscilloscopes-can-i-order-it.
I haven't tried it, but it'd be worth a phone call to see whether this is
true?

Tek were still using Peltola connectors as of the TDS3000 series - maybe they'll sell you some?

D.

[...]

Ed Breya

Jeff, obviously you don't have enough junker scopes, so you need to get some. That may be better than trying to buy new Peltola pieces and cable and crimping and all that nonsense. I always save the Peltolas and harmonica cables and such from junkers.

Also, coax in Tek scopes was often connected up on harmonica/square pin sets, depending on the speed requirements. For the readouts, it may be just fine to do the same, and not worry about coax connectors. You could even tack the connections with solder, but lose the convenience of connectors.

Ed

Ed,

In fact, I only have junker 475s, and their junk is spoken for (to maintain my father's 475), but you're right, I could steal some Peltola cables from one of those scopes. I like the option of replacing the Petola connectors with simple pin headers and harmonica connectors; that's already evident in a number of places in the 7603.

David,

Now THAT'S an interesting option. I'll have a look at the Tek web site. I wonder if they are still selling P3131 probe tips as well.

-- Jeff Dutky

Robert Simpson

Jeff,
I have a bunch of Tek Peltola cables I saved. Contact me offline at
go_boating_fast@yahoo.com
If you are interested. You can have some for cost of mailing.
Bob