Topics

Digital Oscilloscopes: When Things Go Wrong

Carl Moon <carl.moon@...>

DSOs (digital oscilloscopes) offer a great many advantages over their analog equivalents but as they say, “There’s no such thing as a free lunch.” Digital scopes sample, digitize, and store waveforms and let you for measure, analyze, and archive signals. But, that sampling process brings a few issues along as “baggage.

Here is a few of them and how to handle them

https://prezhost.com/2020/06/01/digital-oscilloscopes-when-things-go-wrong/

Roy Thistle

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 05:35 AM, Carl Moon wrote:

But, that sampling process brings a few issues
Hi Carl:
From the conclusion of the article:
"Remember that the rewards of using a digital oscilloscope greatly outweigh these annoyances..."
Best regards and wishes
Roy

Hi Carl,
Thanks for the link.I like how the author compared the effect of each thing done to the raw sampled data to make it more believable
Has anybody else wondered why the author, Israel Banini, chose a site devoted to health news to put his article.
Was he hoping no one would ever find it?
Did he think all DSO users should know how to tell by looking at their feet that they might soon have a heart attack?
And finally, why does the site owner believe that the article should be crammed up against the left edge of the web page making it extremely annoying to read?

Dennis Tillman W7pF

--
Dennis Tillman W7pF
TekScopes Moderator

Roy Thistle

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 03:43 PM, Dennis Tillman W7pF wrote:

Israel Banini, chose a site devoted to health news
Hi Dennis, Hi All:
If there is an Israel Banini, by his pen, Israel is an expert on catamarans, sewing machines, Legionnaire's disease and other quite numerous and diverse topics: quite the renaissance man!
More likely, IMO, these are hijacked articles to act as click bait, to draw viewers to that (his?) website... and increase the ad revenue.
One is not suppose to read the article(s) but rather click on the ad's... I mean... who doesn't want to know how to tell if they are going to have a heart attack, by looking at their feet.
But back to Tek... since I am guessing, most of us are analog scope fans here... shouldn't we have a Tek digital, versus Tek analog thread on the forum... or an update on the contents of others that have been started about this?
Best regards and wishes all.
Roy