Topics

Digilog

Dave Daniel

(Responding to Ed Breya’s explanation of the term “digilog” woth a new thread)

Thanks. I’ve never heard the term before.

Indeed, everything is analog and ignoring that fact when dealing with “digital” signals can lead to misunderstanding of how things work.

When I worked with Sun T8 servers witk clock rates in excess of 4 GHz (they never got to the 4.5 GHz target), there was no digital anything about them except in the grossest abstractions.

DaveD

Roy Thistle

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 05:18 AM, Dave Daniel wrote:

Indeed, everything is analog
Probably not necessarily. But, I agree: we tend to want to believe the world is the way we perceive it... and that bias sometimes leads to particularly puzzling results.

Dave Daniel

Hmmm.... I don’t mean to be argumentative, but, outside of text books and digital simulators ( e.g., Synopsy VCS, Modelsim, etc.), what real-world circuit is not analog?

On Jul 8, 2020, at 09:51, Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 05:18 AM, Dave Daniel wrote:

Indeed, everything is analog
Probably not necessarily. But, I agree: we tend to want to believe the world is the way we perceive it... and that bias sometimes leads to particularly puzzling results.

Chuck Harris

I may be wrong, and Roy can certainly fend for himself,
but he is agreeing with you.

The puzzling results he mentions are the ones you get
when your dead certainty that there are only ones, and
zeros, and nothing in between. Runs into something in
between.

-Chuck Harris