Topics

Different Versions of XYZs of Oscilloscopes

I have a copy of The XYZs of Oscilloscopes that appears to have come with an early 2213, but I have seen PDFs with the same title with much later copyright dates, and have seen similar for sale online.

My question is how many different versions were there of this book? The one I have discusses both the 2213 and 2215, but uses pictures of the 2213 in almost all the examples (except for one that illustrates the dual time base, which the 2213 doesn't have).

Were there different versions of the book produced for the different scopes in 2200 series?

Were there versions of the book for the 400 series scopes (or the 2400 series)?

-- Jeff Dutky

Roy Thistle

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 03:13 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote:

My question is how many different versions were there of this book?
There are different "versions" of the "book" (They are more like primers, or some kind of sales tool/handout for Tektronix sales engineers)
By "versions" I mean primers/books/sales-tools which are in the same vein, and have the title "The XYZs of..."
As in
Tektronix(1993)The XYZs of Analog and Digital Oscilloscopes(070-8690-01).
Tektronix(1981)The XYZs of Using a Scope().

IMO, the watershed, for classical Tektronix copy, happens when they start to mention digital oscilloscopes.
Somewhere, I have a very old one of these... something a Tek sales-person could give to a potential customer... who was mostly clueless about oscilloscopes... but could get an "understanding" by reading through it.
If I'm thinking right... that one is illustrated with 500 series scopes. It's not only a masterpiece of typesetting, and graphic arts... it's clearly and informatively written too.

Roy Thistle wrote:

If I'm thinking right... that one is illustrated with 500 series scopes.
It's not only a masterpiece of typesetting, and graphic arts... it's clearly
and informatively written too.
The copy I have, from '81, is also well written as well as being beautifully illustrated and typeset.

If you have a copy illustrated with 500 series scopes, then the document must date back to at least the mid-70s. I would be really jazzed if I could find a copy (printed or electronic) that used the 400 series scopes as examples. The discussion of the delayed time base, alone, would make it worthwhile.

My copy has a fold-out sheet as the back cover with a photo of the 2213 as its subject, and I've got a version on order that uses the 2213A in the same way (copyright 1985). None of the PDFs that I've seen, even those that appear to be scans of the 1981 version, have included scans of the back cover fold-out.

-- Jeff Dutky