Defective HT-Transformer

Urs Suter <urs-j.suter@...>

To all

The HT-transformer T801 of my Tek 536 is broken down. It seems that there is a short between two turns of a winding. As the scope is otherwise in a fairly good condition, I would like to rescue it. Does somebody have any experience in rewinding HT-transformers?

Thank you in advance for your hints

Urs

Phil (VA3UX) <phil@...>

I haven't taken apart a Tek power transformer yet so I don't know how the windings are arranged or if potting is used. But IF the HV windings are on the outside (which is fairly typical), you might get lucky if the shorted turns are near the outer layers. Carefully remove the outer wrap(s) of insulation, trying to leave them intact for later re-installation. Inspect the outer winding layer for the shorted turns. If the problem is there, unwind turns until you get to the short and repair it. There are a few ways of doing this so if you get to this point, e-mail me for further details. Disassembly of the core might be required (it's not as bad as you think).

If you don't want to bother with a repair of this sort, take the unit to a local transformer shop and tell them you want it rewound EXACTLY as it is - between-layer insulation included. Some motor repair shops are equipped to do this, some are not.

From Stan's book, there is reference to fellow in Florida that rewinds Tek transformers :

Bill Schell, AA4AY
Orlando, FL (407)282-4289

Phil

At 07:02 PM 8/19/2001 +0200, you wrote:
To all

The HT-transformer T801 of my Tek 536 is broken down. It seems that there is a short between two turns of a winding. As the scope is otherwise in a fairly good condition, I would like to rescue it. Does somebody have any experience in rewinding HT-transformers?

Thank you in advance for your hints

Urs

Stan or Patricia Griffiths <w7ni@...>

Hi Urs,

There is a man in Florida who rewinds some Tek HV transformers. I don't know if he has ever rewound one for a 536 or not.

Bill Schell, AA4AY
10102 Winder Trail
Orlando, FL 32817 USA

I think I have scrap 536 and the easiest thing would be for me to remove the HV transformer from it and ship it to you. You can have it for $10 plus shipping if you are interested. Let me know.

Stan
w7ni@easystreet.com