From: Egge Siert
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2020 4:46 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] Deep Colors on 7000 Series Modules (and maybe also Mainframes) Mystery partly solved.

Hi to All,

Just received a 7B80 Module with an aforementioned Deep Color Frontpanel. It is a unit out of 9250 (!) and it doesn't have the normal anodized panel. It is a painted one. Maybe the 7104 Mainframe which sold on eBay has also a painted Front instead of anodized. Possibly therefore the different color scheme.

Greetings,

Egge Siert

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

Egge Siert

Hi Dennis,

Many parts have a production code on them. One of them (a Frontpanelpot) in this Module does have the code 9250. This means week 50 of the year 1992. Likely produced in 1992 at or after week 50 was a better description.

Greetings,

Egge Siert

satbeginner

IC coding?

Year 92, week 50 maybe

Hi Egge Siert,
That would mean the 7B10 was produced 12 to 24 months AFTER Tek discontinued the entire 7000 series product line in 1991. Why would Tek do that?

Why would Tek produce something with a painted front panel? Paint can be easily scratched and damaged compared to anodized aluminum.

Do any of the other parts have date codes on them?

Dennis Tillman W7pF

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 08:12 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:

Why would Tek produce something with a painted front panel?
I could imagine several explanations:
- Discontinuing does not mean that a product will not be produced any more and will no longer be available for ordering with immediate effect: The announcement of discontinuing may cause a surge in demand from clients wo don't want to or can't afford to miss the boat.
- Companies have been known to have their (fiscal) year date ahead of the calendar year. Wasn't it DEC (and then not just them) that ended their FY n on March 31'st of calendar year n, continuing with FY n+1? I'm *not* talking about the well known shift, where a FY ends on March 31'st of the next year (3 months' shift). I can imagine production date corresponding to FY, not calendar year.
- Some (?) companies put a production date on their products that lies in the future, just to make a product look newer. That would compensate for the difference between calendar production date and delivery date to the customer.

It'd be interesting to find out. It could be that all our dating of production dates is off by any number of months.

Re. Painting instead of anodizing, I can imagine that:
- Tek, either surprised by continued demand or not, didn't have enough anodized front panels any more and in order to avoid the cost of producing or ordering more anodized panels, decided to go to a cheaper process. Depending on the process, I guess screen printing durability had become quite good by that time and more affordable (just guessing) in the quantities needed.
- Tek by the time knew about the fading panels...

Raymond

Jim Ford

Yes, anodized or brushed aluminum makes a nice front panel.  I once worked for a company making digital signal processing boards.  We tried polished front panels, and they looked great...for about a week until they got scratched up.  We joked that you could comb your hair in them, just like the bumper on a '57 Chevy!  Went back to brushed aluminum real quick.Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7pF> Date: 3/3/20 11:12 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Deep Colors on 7000 Series Modules (and maybe also Mainframes) Mystery partly solved. Hi Egge Siert,That would mean the 7B10 was produced 12 to 24 months AFTER Tek discontinued the entire 7000 series product line in 1991. Why would Tek do that? Why would Tek produce something with a painted front panel? Paint can be easily scratched and damaged compared to anodized aluminum.Do any of the other parts have date codes on them?Dennis Tillman W7pF-----Original Message-----From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Egge SiertSent: Tuesday, March 03, 2020 9:51 AMTo: TekScopes@...: Re: [TekScopes] Deep Colors on 7000 Series Modules (and maybe also Mainframes) Mystery partly solved.Hi Dennis,Many parts have a production code on them. One of them (a Frontpanelpot) in this Module does have the code 9250. This means week 50 of the year 1992. Likely produced in 1992 at or after week 50 was a better description. Greetings,Egge Siert-- Dennis Tillman W7PFTekScopes Moderator

Egge Siert

Hi Dennis,

It is a 7B80 MOD JA with SN; B066447. Other productioncodes on Transistors, IC's and Passive Components are: 9206, 9241, 9246, 9243 etc. Interface Board number: 670-4177-05. Another unlikely piece of equipment I own: a 3S6 produced in the beginning of the 90's and this one has also a different Frontpanel compared with normal 3S6 Modules.

By the way when Tektronix run out of Mechanical Frequency Dials for the SG504 Modules they redesigned it with a Digital Display and a new Frontpanel more in line with the design of the TM5000 and late TM500 Series. They also revised the Instruction Manual to incorporate these Design Changes (070-1632-02).

Egge Siert

NOTE: MOD JA provides a connector at the rear panel of the 7B80 and other TB's. Wired with coax-cable to be in parallel with the External Trigger Connector at the Front Panel. This to provide rear-panel input with a comparable modified Oscilloscope.

Egge Siert

Hi to All,

I studied the pictures of the earlier mentioned 7104 Mainframe again. It is the same wrinkle paint finish as my 7B80 MOD JA. Thus no anodised frontpanel.

Egge Siert

Tim

I placed some 7A26 and 7B15 comparison photos here:

I'll check my mainframes. I think one of my 7104's is painted as well.

Hi Egge Siert,
Oh, that explains everything. Mods (as in Mod JA) were custom modifications. They are not the same as Options which were listed in the catalogs for anyone to purchase. The mods were always unique to a particular customer who was willing to pay for the modification. Obviously it wouldn't make sense for a customer to inquire about the cost of a mod unless they intended to purchase enough of this particular modification to justify spreading the cost across a lot of units.

For example I have two 7A29 plugins and the front panel is entirely in a very pretty blue. They came from IBM who paid for this particular modification to make the plugins consistent with their blue logo.

Now the date codes make more sense since the company that placed the order for the plugins with this modification probably signed a contract to take a lot of them and Tek was probably forcing them to accept them even after production on the rest of the 7000 series was stopped.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

[...]

Tim provided some pictures (and SN's) of his painted Modules. Their colors look as mine. By the way his Modules didn't have a MOD designation. Maybe the Mainframe to which they belong originally.

Egge Siert

The Mod sticker is always on the plugin right next to the serial number sticker.

Tim provided some pictures (and SN's) of his painted Modules. Their colors look as mine. By the way his Modules didn't have a MOD designation. Maybe the Mainframe to which they belong originally.

Egge Siert

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

Egge Siert

Hi Dennis,

I should say above the SN-Sticker. The place where normally the Warning (turn-off power before installing plug-in) or Option Sticker is placed, My 7B80 was also an Option 02 (X-Y Display), but this sticker was absent. The Modules of Tim didn't have MOD-Stickers above their SN's.

Egge Siert

Tim

I placed some new pictures in the folder showing a side by side comparison of the 7104's.
The painted one is quite stunning.
I don't know why it came with 7A26's but it appears almost new.