Topics

Dallas NVRAM

I had in my used parts bin two DALLAS DS1235ABW which I'm pretty sure came
from the CPU board of a scrapped later 2400 DSO, I'm not sure which though.
On a 2430A B030000-up they are A12U350 and A12U664. In an early service manual
they are specified as DS1235BWL with P/N 156-3870-00. In a later manual they are
DS1230AB with the same P/N. I thought the W indicates a Vcc of 3.3V, at least that is
true for other DS-chips. I haven't been able to find a data sheet for the W-version.
Does anyone have the right data sheet or know if this chip actually is for 3.3V ?
If in fact it is it seems wrong that it was used in a 5V environment. For example a
DS1230W has max Vcc specified as 3.6V

/Håkan

Dewey Wyatt

If they are from a 2430a the battery is inside the chip 2430 had external
battery i have heard some late 2430,s had the same as the a series

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020, 1:06 PM zenith5106 <hahi@...> wrote:

[...]

Clark Foley

I found this comment on the Maxim web site at
https://maximsupport.microsoftcrmportals.com/en-us/knowledgebase/article/000099786

"The drop in replacement for the DS1235ABW-120 will be the DS1230AB-120+.
W in the DS1235's suffix denotes a low profile package. This package type is not available for the DS1230."

Both appear to be 5V devices.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 03:33 AM, Clark Foley wrote:

"The drop in replacement for the DS1235ABW-120 will be the DS1230AB-120+.
W in the DS1235's suffix denotes a low profile package. This package type is
not available for the DS1230."
Thanks for that !
Strange though, it is exactly the same size as a DS1230.

/Håkan

Clark Foley

"Strange though, it is exactly the same size as a DS1230."
Maybe that's why it was in the salvage pile!

On a more serious note, take Maxim information about Dallas with a little caution. For that matter, take most of Maxim's information with caution. Having worked at Maxim for 21 years, I have seen seem extremes in the quality of their publications. To quote a former US President, "Trust but verify!"