CRT, unknown


wallydoc
 

Does anyone know what this is from?
JAN CNU 5CPI
5 inch display two foot long CRT NOS in box
Free to a good home

Wally


adesilva_1999@...
 


stevenhorii
 

Google search 5CP1 and there is a PDF of the data sheet. This is a JAN tube
so should have been qualified to meet military specs (JAN = joint Army
Navy).


On Tue, Apr 20, 2021, 11:49 wallydoc via groups.io <wallydoc=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Does anyone know what this is from?
JAN CNU 5CPI
5 inch display two foot long CRT NOS in box
Free to a good home

Wally






wallydoc
 

I did see the data sheet and the ebay listing.
Just wondering what unit used it

Wally


Roy Thistle
 

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 10:23 AM, wallydoc wrote:


Just wondering what unit used it
used in a Tetronix 511, circa 1948
5CP1 is similar to 5BP1... and were available after WWII, in vast quantities, at low prices.
During the war they were used as indicators in RADAR, ship, shore, and airborne... unless anyone knows better.

--
Roy Thistle


Tom Lee
 

Hi Wally,

The 5CP1 was one of the first (if not the first) PDA (for much brighter spot) tubes, and was widely used in many scopes in the early days, including by Tek and Heathkit. The 511, 512, and 514 (and perhaps some others) originally came with that jug. Upgrade kits to replace the 5CP1 with the 5ABP1 (or 5ADP1) -- flatter face, and about twice the deflection sensitivity, yet pin-compatible -- were offered shortly thereafter.

-- Cheers,
Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205
350 Jane Stanford Way
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-4070
http://www-smirc.stanford.edu

On 4/20/2021 10:23, wallydoc via groups.io wrote:
I did see the data sheet and the ebay listing.
Just wondering what unit used it

Wally




wallydoc
 

Thanks, Maybe Heathkit and EICO also used the tube, but am not sure.
Someone else told me that it was from radar unit, so that makes sense.Especially with the JAN designation.
Again, if anyone wants it, they can have it.

Wally


Renée
 

Wally- I may be able to use it, where are you located?
Renée

On 4/20/21 10:45 AM, wallydoc via groups.io wrote:
Thanks, Maybe Heathkit and EICO also used the tube, but am not sure.
Someone else told me that it was from radar unit, so that makes sense.Especially with the JAN designation.
Again, if anyone wants it, they can have it.

Wally




Tom Lee
 

It was an extremely popular crt, and was indeed used in radar units (for which it was originally developed, if memory serves), early scopes from various manufacturers (EICO, Heathkit, DuMont, and probably RCA), and in early TV kits. I think the ones used in Tek scopes generally came with the P7 phosphors, as did the ones used in radars.

-- Cheers,
Tom

--
Prof. Thomas H. Lee
Allen Ctr., Rm. 205
350 Jane Stanford Way
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-4070
http://www-smirc.stanford.edu

On 4/20/2021 10:45, wallydoc via groups.io wrote:
Thanks, Maybe Heathkit and EICO also used the tube, but am not sure.
Someone else told me that it was from radar unit, so that makes sense.Especially with the JAN designation.
Again, if anyone wants it, they can have it.

Wally




Roy Thistle
 

correction! ... sort of
5CP1A in the 511... though they may have used 5CP1 too, since it would be plentiful and cheap in 1948. (Does anyone know?)
5CP1A similar to 5CP1 in that cathode and heater are not connected (like they are in 5BP1) .. both use similar 14 pin sockets
Different in that 5CP1 seems to operated at a higher voltage and be a faster tube... and 5CP1A has a clip on the CRT socket for Anode 2.
Other differences too.

--
Roy Thistle


Roy Thistle
 

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 10:45 AM, wallydoc wrote:


Maybe Heathkit and EICO also used the tube
The Heathkit 0-8 used it.
--
Roy Thistle


Roy Thistle
 

I think I have a very early (circa 1950) EICO 324 with a 5CP1; but, maybe just the 5CP1 now. Later EICO 324 used 5BP1
If you look in the Ads in post war radio mags 5CP1, et.al. were only a couple of dollars in 1948

--
Roy Thistle


Roy Thistle
 

I don't know about 5CP1; but, I have an early CRT... pushing 80 years old... similar to 5CP1, that came out of an airborne radio direction finder. Those set preceded RADAR in military use.

--
Roy Thistle


Vince Vielhaber
 

I had an OLD 5" scope that used that tube. I remember 'cuze it broke and took me a while to find one. The surplus guy that had them was moving his warehouse.

Anyway it was one of those scopes with nothing calibrated on them and back in the late 60s and early 70s were not cheap.

Vince.

On 04/20/2021 01:23 PM, wallydoc via groups.io wrote:
I did see the data sheet and the ebay listing.
Just wondering what unit used it

Wally




Bert Haskins
 

On 4/20/2021 3:28 PM, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
I had an OLD 5" scope that used that tube.  I remember 'cuze it broke and took me a while to find one.  The surplus guy that had them was moving his warehouse.

Anyway it was one of those scopes with nothing calibrated on them and back in the late 60s and early 70s were not cheap.

Vince.

On 04/20/2021 01:23 PM, wallydoc via groups.io wrote:
I did see the data sheet and the ebay listing.
Just wondering what unit used it

Wally
Actually right up until about the end of the 1900s there wasn't anything close to decent that was even close to cheap.

I have several Dumont CRTs that are not even worth the cost to ship them.

Just a shame to trash them out but I really must downsize.


- Bert





Mark Vincent
 

Bert,

What are the numbers of the Dumont crts? The numbers would indicate if I can use them. Thanks.

I do have a 3ACP11. I would like to know where the 3ACPx/x types were used in.

Mark