Converting a rack to a bench

Dave Peterson

I'm looking through my 5440 instruction manual and looking at the instrument conversion/rack mounting instructions. It says field conversion kits are available.

Well this is from the 70's, and I'm sure Tektronix is no longer providing these kits. I'm also guessing equipment was generally sold in bench cabinets, and what the manual is referring to is a rack conversion kit. Was there ever such a thing as a bench conversion kit?

I just bought a rack configured 5111A. Are there kits out in the world to convert a rack configuration to a bench cabinet?

I suspect it's just a matter of finding a gutted 5000 series scope.

Dave

Tim Phillips

Dave;
Hakan (Zenith) has the info on his site, in the 'Kits & Mods' section.
The trickiest part is installing the bolts that hold the two halves
together - the front bolts must be low-profile to clear the plug-ins,
and the rear ones are hard to reach and tighten. They are long hex-head
bolts, but ordinary steel bolts will do.
I used a flexible-shaft nut driver. You will also need different
cover-panels, of course. Maybe swap with someone going the other way ?
Where are you situated?
Also, be VERY careful re-installing the big 10-way ribbon - one pin out can
fry all your hard work ! (Go on, ask me !!)
Tim

On Sat, 15 May 2021 at 03:07, Dave Peterson via groups.io <davidpinsf=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'm looking through my 5440 instruction manual and looking at the
instrument conversion/rack mounting instructions. It says field conversion
kits are available.

Well this is from the 70's, and I'm sure Tektronix is no longer providing
these kits. I'm also guessing equipment was generally sold in bench
cabinets, and what the manual is referring to is a rack conversion kit. Was
there ever such a thing as a bench conversion kit?

I just bought a rack configured 5111A. Are there kits out in the world to
convert a rack configuration to a bench cabinet?

I suspect it's just a matter of finding a gutted 5000 series scope.

Dave

Dave Peterson

That's great Tim. Thanks.

Found the instructions pdf that includes all necessary parts.

Dave

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'm looking through my 5440 instruction manual and looking at the
instrument conversion/rack mounting instructions. It says field conversion
kits are available.

Well this is from the 70's, and I'm sure Tektronix is no longer providing
these kits. I'm also guessing equipment was generally sold in bench
cabinets, and what the manual is referring to is a rack conversion kit. Was
there ever such a thing as a bench conversion kit?

I just bought a rack configured 5111A. Are there kits out in the world to
convert a rack configuration to a bench cabinet?

I suspect it's just a matter of finding a gutted 5000 series scope.

Dave

Andy Warner

I recently swapped the tube from a donor 5000, to fix my 577.

I would be quite happy to send you the carcass of the 5000, for the cost of
shipping. I can disassemble to reduce weight/size. Then this 5000 would
have helped two on this list. Let me know off-list if you would like to
explore this (andyw [at] pobox [dotcom].)

--
Andy

Dave Peterson

! Andy !  That would be awesome!

I'll email you my address from my 'glomtek' account. So watch for that sender. It'll be me. I have PayPal linked to that account so I can send you money from there.

Dave