Topics

Cleaning the screen of a TDS744A ?

David Slipper

What is the best way to get greasy finger prints off the plastic sheet that is in front of the CRT ???

Thanks in advance

Dave

toby@...

On 2020-07-21 4:34 a.m., David Slipper wrote:

What is the best way to get greasy finger prints off the plastic sheet
that is in front of the CRT ???
Dave,

I would try 70% IPA and cloth wipe.

I've also had good results replacing faceplates with 1.5mm acrylic.

--Toby

Thanks in advance

Dave

DaveC <davec2468@...>

I would try 70% IPA and cloth wipe.

I've also had good results replacing faceplates with 1.5mm acrylic.

--Toby
Did you find it in Tek blue?

Dave C.

toby@...

On 2020-07-21 9:33 a.m., DaveC via groups.io wrote:
I would try 70% IPA and cloth wipe.

I've also had good results replacing faceplates with 1.5mm acrylic.

--Toby
Did you find it in Tek blue?
No, the ones I was replacing were clear. Check with Walter at Sphere for
genuine ones.

--Toby

Dave C.

Harvey White

Do you want blue on a scope with a color display?

Harvey

On 2020-07-21 9:33 a.m., DaveC via groups.io wrote:
I would try 70% IPA and cloth wipe.

I've also had good results replacing faceplates with 1.5mm acrylic.

--Toby
Did you find it in Tek blue?
No, the ones I was replacing were clear. Check with Walter at Sphere for
genuine ones.

--Toby

Dave C.

David Slipper

The faceplate on this'n seems to be some sort of filter (sort of a smokey) plastic.

You sure IPA is OK ??

Dave

On 2020-07-21 9:33 a.m., DaveC via groups.io wrote:
I would try 70% IPA and cloth wipe.

I've also had good results replacing faceplates with 1.5mm acrylic.

--Toby
Did you find it in Tek blue?
No, the ones I was replacing were clear. Check with Walter at Sphere for
genuine ones.

--Toby

Dave C.

.

Roy Thistle

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 01:35 AM, David Slipper wrote:

What is the best way to get greasy finger prints off the plastic sheet that is
in front of the CRT
From page 6-5 in Zenith's scan of the "TDS 684A & TDS 744 Service Manual" on Tekwiki at
http://w140.com/tekwiki/images/d/d6/070-8992-02.pdf

"Clean the light filter protecting the monitor screen with a lint-free cloth dampened with either isopropyl alcohol or, preferably, a gentle, general purpose detergent-and-water solution."

It appears... looking at the mechanical parts drawing... the "light-filter" is not a separate numbered component (not listed as such, in the "Mechanical Parts List") but is part of/comes with the front panel assembly? or with the display frame? So how do you remove it? So what's the "plastic filter's" material? could be acrylic or polycarbonate? ... and it's hard to tell the difference between between acrylic and polycarbonate, just by looking.

For the nervous, who want to do de-fingerprinting service... I'd start with the lint-free (supposed to be really lint free, and anti-static is better too... like Kimwipes)... I'd start with the general purpose detergent (a.k.a., mild dish detergent) and lint-free cloth... and then move up to the alcohol...if detergent doesn't work.
For fingerprint "grease" (fingerprint "grease" isn't just grease)... a detergent, and water, solution works better than the alcohol, in my opinion... in the following way. If you can remove the plastic filter?, clean it with the detergent solution, and then flush the soapy filter with distilled water... preferably, from a squeeze bottle... so you get a pressurized stream... this flushes the hopefully emulsified, and dissolved, fingerprints from the plastic filter.
Other solvents are a big no-no... they are probably going to damage the plastic... so no acetone, naptha, et. al.

David Slipper

Many thanks :-)

Dave

On 21/07/2020 17:10, Roy Thistle wrote:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 01:35 AM, David Slipper wrote:

What is the best way to get greasy finger prints off the plastic sheet that is
in front of the CRT

From page 6-5 in Zenith's scan of the "TDS 684A & TDS 744 Service Manual" on Tekwiki at
[...]

Thanks, I used a few drops of baby shampoo in warm water (very very dilute) and applied it with a barely damp lint free pad then dried with a clean microfiber cloth. Worked a treat.
Dave

On 21/07/2020 17:10, Roy Thistle wrote:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 01:35 AM, David Slipper wrote:

What is the best way to get greasy finger prints off the plastic sheet that is
in front of the CRT

From page 6-5 in Zenith's scan of the "TDS 684A & TDS 744 Service Manual" on Tekwiki at