Topics

Cleaning Leads of IC Chips (Tektronix Related)

I am preparing to remove the Dallas DS1742W-150 NVRAM chip with dead lithium cell from my scope. My plan is to add a low-profile socket, then to cut-out the dead cell and extend the connections to a separately located replacement. Is there a favorite way of cleaning up IC leads (other than with vacuum devices) so as to improve the connection reliability of the reinstalled chip. I have heard Chinese resellers sometimes use a hot peanut oil bath for this purpose.

Bruce, KG6OJI

DaveH52

If you've gotten the board out, I'd suggest using a hot air gun to heat the underside until you can pull it off.
As for cleaning the leads, you can try a solder sucker or solder wick or both, but there will always be a thin layer of solder left on the pins.