From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard R. Pope
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2019 11:35 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] FS: sets of NOS concentric control knobs

Hello all,
Please don't use all caps. It is rude and inconsiderate. Place it in it's own paragraph!
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 12/19/2019 1:12 AM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
Hi Brad,
In the future please include a line that people can't miss (all capitals works well) indicating that interested parties should contact you directly (and provide your contact info). That way we keep unnecessary personal traffic off TekScopes.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

From: Brad Thompson <brad.thompsonaa1ip@...>
[...]

Carsten Bormann

On Dec 19, 2019, at 21:56, Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7PF> wrote:

"If you are interested in my offer contact me directly, OFF-LIST, at dennis at ridesoft dot com."
This is no longer rude, says my calibrated e-mail rudeness meter. Thanks.

It still relies on people understanding the term “OFF-LIST” — why do you think that is a given?
(Those people who understand it are more likely to do it already, anyway.)

Grüße, Carsten

Chuck Harris

Dennis,

You won't be able to please everyone, some days anyone, so there
isn't much point in even trying. Do things in a way that your
upbringing tells you is right and makes you happy, and move on.

Today so many people seem to think that any little thing that
bothers them even slightly is an Earth shattering affront, and must
be stomped out.

Don't play their games.

I'd like to hear more about InforMAIL, particularly when, and where?

I started using email in the mid 70's at the University of Maryland.

I was exposed to email first on GE Information Systems international
network, in the early 1970's... A friend's father was one of their
VP's, and we, uhmmm? Borrowed his account...

-Chuck Harris

Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:

[...]

KeepIt SimpleStupid

Gmail has a 30s retreive window available.  See https://smallbusiness.chron.com/can-delay-delivery-gmail-27206.html

Searching said that delay sending is available too.
But changes occur very rapidly, so who knows if it works or not.
Forums that implement PMs or Conversations allow edits for a short time.  They never tell you when the time is up until you try to send the edited email.  It doesn't check to see if the recipient is not accepting messages until you try to send.
You can add people to the conversation or turn that off.
I'd like delayed-send to be normal. 0-15 minutes.If it's within the same domain, you should be able to retrieve until it's read.

Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
[...]

Abc Xyz

Years ago when I started using eMail and/or Text, I used All Caps. I found
it easier to Use and easier to Read on the Computer, until one day someone
said 'why are you Yelling at me!?'. I hadn't a Clue what they were talking
about.
I wasn't Yelling. Just exercising my Preference. I never meant any
Disrespect nor Intended any. Some people get so Offended over the most
Trivial Preferences of others...Sad.
PS: you'll Notice my Preference in Capitalizing Words...I have my Reasons
:)

---------------------------------
[...]

Greg Muir

Ever have any experience dealing with email on the pre-Internet ARPNET? Used Unix “vi” for all emails and replies came in from other agencies frequently in caps as if the writers didn’t understand that they had a caps lock on their keyboard.

Greg

Jamie Ostrowski

MY TEK 4006 TERMINAL ONLY ALLOWS ME TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS. SORRY, FELLAS.

:-)

REGARDS,

-JAMIE

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 5:15 PM Greg Muir via Groups.Io <big_sky_explorer=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Ever have any experience dealing with email on the pre-Internet ARPNET?
Used Unix “vi” for all emails and replies came in from other agencies
frequently in caps as if the writers didn’t understand that they had a caps
lock on their keyboard.

Greg

Chuck Harris

Many were using Model 33ASR teletypes, and indeed had no capslock,
only caps.

Others were so used to teletypes, that they preferred to stay with
all caps.

Honestly, life is much easier if you stop worrying about stuff like
this. You will never please everyone, why try? Do it the way you
want.

Learn to be tolerant. Someday, someone may even be tolerant of your
idiotsyncrazies.

-Chuck Harris

Greg Muir via Groups.Io wrote:

Ever have any experience dealing with email on the pre-Internet ARPNET? Used Unix “vi” for all emails and replies came in from other agencies frequently in caps as if the writers didn’t understand that they had a caps lock on their keyboard.

Greg

Richard Solomon

And, do not forget those who are visually impaired.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 9:35 PM Chuck Harris <cfharris@...> wrote:

[...]

Indeed! The 4010 was all caps unless you paid extra.

Lots of terminals from the early days of email were all
caps.

It pretty much wasn't until the unix guys (Ken Thompson,
and Dennis Richie) figured out that word processing was
the biggest part of any computer programmer's job that
lower case letters became common.

All water over the bridge...

-Chuck Harris

yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Ever have any experience dealing with email on the pre-Internet ARPNET?
Used Unix “vi” for all emails and replies came in from other agencies
frequently in caps as if the writers didn’t understand that they had a caps
lock on their keyboard.

Greg

Richard R. Pope

Chuck,
If we don't speak up than people don't learn and grow. It isn't about being offended it is about being compassionate and respectful of other peoples feelings. If someone uses all caps or a lot of fully Capitalized words I don't even bother to read the message. It is immediately deleted. Just like I won't tolerate some yelling or screaming at me. If someone wants to behave like a jerk than I choose not to have anything to do with them.
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich! BTW: Merry Christmas to all!

On 12/19/2019 10:35 PM, Chuck Harris wrote:
Many were using Model 33ASR teletypes, and indeed had no capslock,
only caps.

Others were so used to teletypes, that they preferred to stay with
all caps.

Honestly, life is much easier if you stop worrying about stuff like
this. You will never please everyone, why try? Do it the way you
want.

Learn to be tolerant. Someday, someone may even be tolerant of your
idiotsyncrazies.

-Chuck Harris

Greg Muir via Groups.Io wrote:
Ever have any experience dealing with email on the pre-Internet ARPNET? Used Unix “vi” for all emails and replies came in from other agencies frequently in caps as if the writers didn’t understand that they had a caps lock on their keyboard.

Greg

Tom Gardner

The main objective of writing is to communicate. Anything that makes the communication more difficult is A Bad Thing.

Conventions help speedy accurate communication; if you don't believe that, then look at old English texts before spelling had become standardised. Otherconventionsaremoreobvious,butpeoplestillcan'tseemtograspthat.

People that choose to make my life more difficult than necessary will be ignored - unless I /rapidly/ believe it is worth my effort.

Sorry, no test equipment related content in this message :(

On 20/12/19 04:46, Richard R. Pope wrote:
[...]

Rich,

Since you addressed this to me on the group, I am going
to reply, regardless of Dennis's objections.

If you are offended so easily that caps letters triggers
you, please keep it to yourself. None of us needs to know
about your emotional immaturity.

What you are doing is being a social justice warrior (SJW),
and being offended for those who aren't "woke" enough to
be offended by themselves.

I don't need your help with that. I am pretty sure nobody
else does either.

-Chuck Harris

Richard R. Pope wrote:

[...]

I should probably keep my mouth shut but I'm not that really that smart.

I think that most people are smart enough to tell if someone using all caps
is yelling at them by using tools such as "context", but if there is any
doubt, it's actually okay to respond and ask if they're upset.