Can CTS capability be added to a 2465B

Alex

I have a 2465B (SN 055...) and although the scope is superb in performance, I always miss having the CTS funcionality of my 2247A and this causes me to use the later more often as it is very easy to get almost instantaneous and quite accurate voltage, frequency, rise time, period, etc etc and a slew of other measurements by just pushing one or two buttons. On the 2465B this is not the case and by using the Measure function the voltage and frequency readings are barely somewhere in the ballpark at the most, and the process to get any readings which in the end are not very useful seem to take an eternity compared to the 2247A. I know I could still manually use the cursors and take readings off the waveform which would be more accurate, but I have really gotten used to the excellent interface of the 47A and wish I could have something at least similar on the 65B as well, and understand there was a version issued that included these CTS options.

So the main question would be if such an upgrade is feasible or even practical (I am guessing an additional board needs to be located and installed), and what else might need to be reconfigured and/or modified inside the scope. If it is indeed viable I would like to know what PN board or boards I have to look out for that would be correct for my 2465B. BTW my scope has the GPIB option installed which I never have used once, so if that board would have to be removed to make room for the CTS option, I would have no issues.

If on the other hand it would perhaps make more sense to just try and get a 2465B with the options already included, what would be the model to look for, a "2465B CTS"? if not what would it be?

Thank you in advance for any info.

Well, you can get the CTS boards (there are several of them) on eBay, but they'll run you between $50-$100 each. It also looks like the front panel may be slightly different than the stock 2465B (or maybe just different from the stock 2465, as that's the only front panel I saw). Once you have the parts, you'll need to install them, and run a calibration. There may be installation/upgrade instructions somewhere (try TekWiki). You also might need new firmware for the digital board.

All told that sounds like a lot of work, but the fully optioned 2465Bs that I'm seeing on eBay are asking upwards of $700, so it may be worth it, especially if you can find upgrade instructions.

-- Jeff Dutky

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 05:15 PM, <tekscopegroup@miwww.com> wrote:

I have a 2465B (SN 055...) and although the scope is superb in performance, I
always miss having the CTS funcionality of my 2247A
There has never been a 2465x with an automatic and permanent voltage indication like the 2247A.
The 2465 CTS was a first-version 2465 (300 MHz BW) with counter/timer/trigger (CTT), Word Recognizer and IEEE-488 interface, no DMM standard.
A DMM-optioned instrument was available as Option 01. I'm almost certain that it wasn't able to show the 'scope's input signal but used common connection leads.
A 2465A or -B CTS never existed.
You can add a CTT (Option 06) and an IEEE-488 Interface (Option 10), but not a DMM (Option 01) to any 2465B. Option 01 used a different, higher case containing a "penthouse" on top. The CTT needs a simple calibration to operate correctly. In contrast with most frequency counters, its indication may be off by quite a lot unless calibrated. Also, you'll get an indication that it isn't calibrated. In fact, the CTT itself isn't calibrated but corrections are placed in the 2465's calibration storage.
Make sure that you receive the cables when you buy a CTT option.

Raymond

Jean-Paul

2465B: CTS: NO
CTT: Besides the option board (many variants exist) the cables and finally the (U800?) trigger hybrid on main bod is critical and not all trigger hybrids work!

Symptom is they will not CAL.

The CAL is requited to get the CTT to work.

You need the correct CAL gens.

I would keep this one as is and look out for one with CTT installed and CALed.

Jon

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 06:48 AM, Jean-Paul wrote:

CTT: Besides the option board (many variants exist) the cables and finally the
(U800?) trigger hybrid on main bod is critical and not all trigger hybrids
work!
U500 is the trigger hybrid (155-0239-0x). U800 is the horizontal amplifier (155-0241-0x).
Between a friend and me, we've installed about 5 CTT's in different 2465B's. No problems with the trigger hybrid.
Some CTT's have the (HD)TV trigger option as well but that's a different CTT board.

Raymond

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 06:48 AM, Jean-Paul wrote:

I would keep this one as is and look out for one with CTT installed and CALed.
It certainly would be safest and easiest to follow this advice. The CTT's resolution is limited and as said before, no automatic voltage measurement of an input signal.
Personally, for general use I'd prefer a 2247A over the much revered 2445/2465/2467 family, except for bandwidth.

Raymond

Jean-Paul

Raymond, The issue of the CTT OPT and TRIG hybrid U500 (my mistake) was discussed with Chuck HARRIS some tie ago,

I had this issue and discovered that INDEED swapping or replacing the U500 could solve CTT issues, Chuck thinks some undocumented part of U500 affects CTT.

This issue needs more research to precise.

I have one more 2465B /CTT to fix as the A5 board was out for rework.

I should be able to check it in a few weeks.

Bon Journee,

Jon

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 12:28 PM, Jean-Paul wrote:

Raymond, The issue of the CTT OPT and TRIG hybrid U500 (my mistake) was
discussed with Chuck HARRIS some tie ago,

I had this issue and discovered that INDEED swapping or replacing the U500
could solve CTT issues, Chuck thinks some undocumented part of U500 affects
CTT.

This issue needs more research to precise.
Hi Jon,
I'll have to find that!

Raymond

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 12:41 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

Hi Jon,
I'll have to find that!
Probably this thread:
"[TekScopes] Continued: 2465B CTT/HPIB/WR TEST 05 fail 42, all CTT fail"
Or the one it's continued from.
I'll look into it.

Raymond

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 12:41 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

Hi Jon,
I'll have to find that!
That'd be this one:
"[TekScopes] 2465B CTT options board faults"

Raymond

Jean-Paul

Raymond,

I am sure its in a thread about 2465B CTT OPT that I started perhaps going back 2 yrs.

Some agreed with you and others that the Trig hybrid had no effect and Chuck said they do.

Jon

PS Chuck had left the forum some time ago, so I had direct email with him.

Alex

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 01:42 AM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 06:48 AM, Jean-Paul wrote:
I would keep this one as is and look out for one with CTT installed and
CALed.
It certainly would be safest and easiest to follow this advice. The CTT's
resolution is limited and as said before, no automatic voltage measurement of
an input signal.
Personally, for general use I'd prefer a 2247A over the much revered
2445/2465/2467 family, except for bandwidth.

Raymond
Gentlemen, thank you for all the input on the CTT board upgrade.

So it looks like I will keep using my 2247A when accurate and fully automatic measurements of voltages, frequency, etc are required. I was hoping to improve upon the current shortcomings of the parametric measurements in the 2465B, but if even after upgrading with a CTT board the added features would still not include any automatic voltage measurements than it certainly does not seem to make much sense to move ahead with it, not to mention all the other possible X factors as described here that might get in the way of getting everything to work properly.

Thanks again.