Topics

Calibration Moonlighters

Gary Robert Bosworth

Does anyone know the name or names of knowledgeable people in the Los Angeles area who do moonlight calibration of Tektronix equipment for reasonable fees? I don't mind paying good money for quality work, but the techs must know the equipment to some extent. You would think that doing this type of work would be comfortably pleasing to retired techs and engineers.

Gary

John Ferguson

I had Chuck Harris recap and calibrate one of my 2445B's.. I shipped it to him and he shipped it back. No detectable damage from the shipping experience.  It's true that LA is a lot farther from Maryland than Delray Beach, but ...

Maybe your machine is a lot bigger than a 2445b.

john

On 3/5/20 8:48 PM, Gary Robert Bosworth wrote:
Does anyone know the name or names of knowledgeable people in the Los Angeles area who do moonlight calibration of Tektronix equipment for reasonable fees? I don't mind paying good money for quality work, but the techs must know the equipment to some extent. You would think that doing this type of work would be comfortably pleasing to retired techs and engineers.

Gary

Dave Daniel

Chuck calibrated my 2465 a while back. I was extremely pleased with his work and his price. I packed the ‘scope in my usual over-the-top packing and he returned it in same.

While it is probably bad form on this list to recommend people, I hereby recommend Chuck’s work.

Dennis, please feel free to admonish me publicly.

DaveD

On Mar 5, 2020, at 20:59, John Ferguson via Groups.Io <jferg977=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I had Chuck Harris recap and calibrate one of my 2445B's.. I shipped it to him and he shipped it back. No detectable damage from the shipping experience. It's true that LA is a lot farther from Maryland than Delray Beach, but ...

Maybe your machine is a lot bigger than a 2445b.

john

On 3/5/20 8:48 PM, Gary Robert Bosworth wrote:
Does anyone know the name or names of knowledgeable people in the Los Angeles area who do moonlight calibration of Tektronix equipment for reasonable fees? I don't mind paying good money for quality work, but the techs must know the equipment to some extent. You would think that doing this type of work would be comfortably pleasing to retired techs and engineers.

Gary

Chuck is highly regarded by me and a veteran of TekScopes. I'm glad he can provide this service. I have no doubt he is capable of doing an excellent job and his prices will be reasonable compared to what Calibration labs would charge.

Dennis Tillman W7pF

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator

David Kuhn

" pared to what Calibration labs would charge."

Dennis,

For the most part, and from personal experience, 99% of the
calibration labs are sticker changers, Their techs have calibration
programs that they operate the take them step by step through a calibration
process and the computer makes any needed, or available adjustments, via
software interface. You would be hard pressed to find a diddle stick
anywhere in a calibration lab. I really do not believe that would
"calibrate", or certify, anything older than a TDS3000 series scope
(although, Spectrum did my TDS420 a few years ago, but there an't no
adjustment pots in that one either.

People, do need, old time guys for these old time scopes, and other
equipment. Yes, you have the manuals that tell you what to do, but the
manual does NOT take the place of practical experience. That old timer
knows hat step 10.x really means to do his or that and it is poorly worded
or not practical. The know how to practically adjust the instrument. I
can do that for old time industrial UT equipment, but no one uses those
anymore. Old men retire and these new gamer kids want all that cool
digital UT equipment. Damn whippersnappers!

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Jim Ford

Yeah, you kids get offa my lawn!Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: David Kuhn <Daveyk021@...> Date: 3/6/20 8:29 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Calibration Moonlighters " pared to what Calibration labs would charge."Dennis,For the most part, and from personal experience, 99% of thecalibration labs are sticker changers,  Their techs have calibrationprograms that they operate the take them step by step through a calibrationprocess and the computer makes any needed, or available adjustments, viasoftware interface.  You would be hard pressed to find a diddle stickanywhere in a calibration lab.  I really do not believe that would"calibrate", or certify, anything older than a TDS3000 series scope(although, Spectrum did my TDS420 a few years ago, but there an't noadjustment pots in that one either.People, do need, old time guys for these old time scopes, and otherequipment.  Yes, you have the manuals that tell you what to do, but themanual does NOT take the place of practical experience.  That old timerknows hat step 10.x really means to do his or that and it is poorly wordedor not practical.  The know how to practically adjust the instrument.   Ican do that for old time industrial UT equipment, but no one uses thoseanymore.  Old men retire and these new gamer kids want all that cooldigital UT equipment. Damn whippersnappers!On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 12:09 AM Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7pF>wrote:> Chuck is highly regarded by me and a veteran of TekScopes. I'm glad he can> provide this service. I have no doubt he is capable of doing an excellent> job and his prices will be reasonable compared to what Calibration labs> would charge.>> Dennis Tillman W7pF>> -----Original Message-----> From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave> Daniel> Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2020 6:25 PM> To: TekScopes@groups.io> Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Calibration Moonlighters>> Chuck calibrated my 2465 a while back. I was extremely pleased with his> work and his price. I packed the ‘scope in my usual over-the-top packing> and he returned it in same.>> While it is probably bad form on this list to recommend people, I hereby> recommend Chuck’s work.>> Dennis, please feel free to admonish me publicly.>> DaveD>> > On Mar 5, 2020, at 20:59, John Ferguson via Groups.Io <jferg977=> aol.com@groups.io> wrote:> >> > I had Chuck Harris recap and calibrate one of my 2445B's.. I shipped it> to him and he shipped it back. No detectable damage from the shipping> experience.  It's true that LA is a lot farther from Maryland than Delray> Beach, but ...> >> > Maybe your machine is a lot bigger than a 2445b.> >> > john> >> >> On 3/5/20 8:48 PM, Gary Robert Bosworth wrote:> >> Does anyone know the name or names of knowledgeable people in the Los> Angeles area who do moonlight calibration of Tektronix equipment for> reasonable fees?  I don't mind paying good money for quality work, but the> techs must know the equipment to some extent.  You would think that doing> this type of work would be comfortably pleasing to retired techs and> engineers.> >>> >> Gary> >>> >>> >> >> >> >>>>>>> --> Dennis Tillman W7PF> TekScopes Moderator>> >>

Magic_Smoke

Hopefully you guys will be happy to hear that I am *not* old, and just picked up a TG501 and a PG506 in hopes that I can become one of these completely inexperienced calibrators you are referring to! :)

John Griessen

On 3/6/20 11:02 AM, Magic_Smoke wrote:
Hopefully you guys will be happy to hear that I am*not* old
Yes happy -- it's fun to hear youthful enthusiasm for machines that last and last and are repairable.

We like those concepts!

Eric

Magic Smoke you beat me to it. I am also in the young category. I have the lab to the point where I can CAL up to a 7904A and I am close to having everything I need for 576's and 577's I have done a few CALs on some personal gear. 465, 2X 485, 7A18's, 7A15A's, 7A26's, and 3 x 7K mainframes so far. 7603, 7704A, and checked in a 7904A it did not need work very low hour unit. I am one of the "young whipper snappers" that has found grate satisfaction in keeping as much of this excellent gear out of the scrap yards as possible. The learning curve is steep. But after fighting through it I would do it again in a heartbeat.

That being said if anyone knows what I need to calibrate a few DM502As I have a few hitting the bench in a few days that will need a tune up. It is weird but now I am more comfortable sitting in front of an open scope then a DMM. I have been looking at some of the Daytron stuff but I am always open to learning so advice is welcome and appreciated.

Eric

On 3/6/2020 12:02 PM, Magic_Smoke wrote:
Hopefully you guys will be happy to hear that I am *not* old, and just picked up a TG501 and a PG506 in hopes that I can become one of these completely inexperienced calibrators you are referring to! :)

Dave Daniel

The DM-502 manual should list the gear needed to calibrate one.

DaveD

On 3/6/2020 1:09 PM, Eric wrote:
[...]

LOL, sorry, I must assume you do not work for one of those sticker changing
calibration calibration labs.

I know one of the "techs" that works for one of them. He couldn't do it
without a computer program stepping him through step by step, but he's
boots on road and goes on calibration runs away from home for a week or two
at a time and is willing to do that. That, in and of itself, is hard to
get a good real tech to be willing to do. Of course, now that I am on my
own, I am doing that more than I did with my old job. lol

Dave

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 12:02 PM Magic_Smoke <@magicsmoke> wrote:

Hopefully you guys will be happy to hear that I am *not* old, and just
picked up a TG501 and a PG506 in hopes that I can become one of these
completely inexperienced calibrators you are referring to! :)

Eric

It does but I am hoping to get it in one case not 4. It needs dc ac
resistance and the amplifier for ac. Because of the 1000v ac. I don't have
THAT much room in the lab laughs

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 10:36 AM, David Kuhn wrote:

LOL, sorry, I must assume you do not work for one of those sticker changing
calibration calibration labs.
Correct, I am an engineer making microchips by day and I hardly ever get to touch the hardware at work with my own hands - electronics is one of my hobbies. Or more like big pieces of a hobby I will play with when I have some more free time. I just think calibrating an old scope sounds like a relaxing way to spend a few evenings, and I finally came across a 2445B to justify it. :)

Eric, your lab sounds like a cool place. Be warned! My ever-expanding collection of tools may be a symptom of lab withdrawal after I graduated. You never think it will happen to you...

Jim Ford

Say, which microchip manufacturer do you work for?  There aren't as many as there were years ago.  I ask because I worked for Broadcom for 10 years before, and shortly after, the sale to Avago Technologies.  I am at Raytheon now, about to be merged with United Technologies.  The thing I miss the most from the commercial world was the ability to get things done in a reasonable amount of time. Oh well.Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Magic_Smoke <@magicsmoke> Date: 3/6/20 3:33 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Calibration Moonlighters On Fri, Mar  6, 2020 at 10:36 AM, David Kuhn wrote:> LOL, sorry, I must assume you do not work for one of those sticker changing> calibration calibration labs.Correct, I am an engineer making microchips by day and I hardly ever get to touch the hardware at work with my own hands - electronics is one of my hobbies. Or more like big pieces of a hobby I will play with when I have some more free time. I just think calibrating an old scope sounds like a relaxing way to spend a few evenings, and I finally came across a 2445B to justify it. :)Eric, your lab sounds like a cool place. Be warned! My ever-expanding collection of tools may be a symptom of lab withdrawal after I graduated. You never think it will happen to you...

Eric

It has been a project, this is true. I ended up finding a 485 on E-bay for a reasonable price that also happened to have the P11 Phosphor and option 4 the additional RF shielding so I thought it was worth saving. That caused me problems I did not even know I had yet. The scope was also REALLY messed up inside. Several pots were swapped with fixed resisters. Ultimately that kicked off a 3 year rabbit hole that ended up with the lab growing exponentially. The 7000 frames I found were often cheaper on E-bay then the 400 Series scopes as long as you were sticking to 76 77 and 79 series. I was very fortunate to get lucky on all the tubes. Of all the E-bay stuff I have only had 1 unit that had a crapped-out tube. The 576 was toast the 577 has some inconsequential burn in that you can only see in storage mode. I think it was the use case. The 577 former life was in a biotech lab. I would LOVE a 7853 in the lab but they are still north of 4 digits. I am not unhappy with things as 3 years ago the bench was a power supply and soldering iron. So you will be suppressed how fast it can go. I am curious to see how far it goes!

Eric

On 3/6/2020 6:33 PM, Magic_Smoke wrote:
On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 10:36 AM, David Kuhn wrote:

LOL, sorry, I must assume you do not work for one of those sticker changing
calibration calibration labs.
Correct, I am an engineer making microchips by day and I hardly ever get to touch the hardware at work with my own hands - electronics is one of my hobbies. Or more like big pieces of a hobby I will play with when I have some more free time. I just think calibrating an old scope sounds like a relaxing way to spend a few evenings, and I finally came across a 2445B to justify it. :)

Eric, your lab sounds like a cool place. Be warned! My ever-expanding collection of tools may be a symptom of lab withdrawal after I graduated. You never think it will happen to you...

Ken Eckert

Hi Eric;

That is an interesting question of how far it will go.... $$$ available,
space available and humour of one's other half about this form of madness.
😜

Wander over to EEVBlog forum and peruse the T.E.A. Thread......... 😂. We
are all afflicted and doomed......

Ken

On Friday, March 6, 2020, Eric <ericsp@...> wrote:

[...]

Yep, my favorite Test Equipment Addiction acronym is JENGA, Junk Encroaching on Non Garage Areas!  Hey, I know that guy!  No, I'm not that guy (yet), but I do know a guy with HP synthesizers, spectrum analyzers, and 70000 series gear on his living room carpet! 8>)Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Ken Eckert <eckertkp@...> Date: 3/6/20 8:52 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Calibration Moonlighters Hi Eric;That is an interesting question of how far it will go.... $$$ available,space available and humour of one's other half about this form of madness. 😜Wander over to EEVBlog forum and peruse the T.E.A. Thread.........  😂. Weare all afflicted and doomed......KenOn Friday, March 6, 2020, Eric <ericsp@...> wrote:> It has been a project, this is true. I ended up finding a 485 on E-bay for> a reasonable price that also happened to have the P11 Phosphor and option 4> the additional RF shielding so I thought it was worth saving. That caused> me problems I did not even know I had yet. The scope was also REALLY messed> up inside. Several pots were swapped with fixed resisters. Ultimately that> kicked off a 3 year rabbit hole that ended up with the lab growing> exponentially. The 7000 frames I found were often cheaper on E-bay then the> 400 Series scopes as long as you were sticking to 76 77 and 79 series. I> was very fortunate to get lucky on all the tubes. Of all the E-bay stuff I> have only had 1 unit that had a crapped-out tube. The 576 was toast the 577> has some inconsequential burn in that you can only see in storage mode. I> think it was the use case. The 577 former life was in a biotech lab. I> would LOVE a 7853 in the lab but they are still north of 4 digits. I am not> unHappy with things as 3 years ago the bench was a power supply and> soldering iron. So you will be suppressed how fast it can go. I am curious> to see how far it goes!>> Eric>>>>> On 3/6/2020 6:33 PM, Magic_Smoke wrote:>>> On Fri, Mar  6, 2020 at 10:36 AM, David Kuhn wrote:>>>> LOL, sorry, I must assume you do not work for one of those sticker>>> changing>>> calibration calibration labs.>>>>> Correct, I am an engineer making microchips by day and I hardly ever get>> to touch the hardware at work with my own hands - electronics is one of my>> hobbies. Or more like big pieces of a hobby I will play with when I have>> some more free time. I just think calibrating an old scope sounds like a>> relaxing way to spend a few evenings, and I finally came across a 2445B to>> justify it. :)>>>> Eric, your lab sounds like a cool place. Be warned! My ever-expanding>> collection of tools may be a symptom of lab withdrawal after I graduated.>> You never think it will happen to you...>>>>>>>>>> >>

Gary Robert Bosworth

Is Chuck still doing this type of work? What city is he located in? I
would want to hand carry my curve tracers to him, since they are in pretty
good working order and I want them to stay that way. I see shipping
companies dropping parcels often.

Gary

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

@grbosworth
Tel: 310-317-2247

John Ferguson

Vicinity of Baltimore MD

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had Chuck Harris recap and calibrate one of my 2445B's.. I shipped it
to him and he shipped it back. No detectable damage from the shipping
experience. It's true that LA is a lot farther from Maryland than Delray
Beach, but ...
Maybe your machine is a lot bigger than a 2445b.

john

On 3/5/20 8:48 PM, Gary Robert Bosworth wrote:
Does anyone know the name or names of knowledgeable people in the Los
Angeles area who do moonlight calibration of Tektronix equipment for
reasonable fees? I don't mind paying good money for quality work, but the
techs must know the equipment to some extent. You would think that doing
this type of work would be comfortably pleasing to retired techs and
engineers.
Gary

Magic_Smoke

The big blue one, Jim. Conveniently located a few miles from Tektronix!