Topics

Barrie Gilbert has passed away

I lost a friend! We lost a giant analog IC designer! Barrie passed away
after a fall yesterday. I had lunch with him in October to give him a 6-gun
CRT to add to his collection of unusual CRTs. At that time he was slowly
retiring from his Analog Devices laboratory in Beaverton.

He is a legend in the analog IC industry. In a few short years at Tek he
invented a way to display the readout on the CRT that every scope made since
then uses, and he invented the Gilbert Cell, Gilbert Multiplier, Gilbert
Mixer which are all variations of each other. You probably have a Gilbert
Mixer in your cell phone. They wouldn't be much good without it. He has
hundreds of other patents as well.

He was the most unassuming person I think I have ever met. He once gave a
talk on where his creativity came from in my dining room. I took him to a
hamfest for the very first time and tried to teach him how to haggle over
the price sticker on the old scopes he wanted to buy. After ignoring my
advice a few times he turned to me and said "I don't want to haggle. They
pay me too much and I don't know what else to do with it but give it away."

Rest in peace, Senor Multiplicado!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.electronics.design/kdz_ab4Rb9o

Raymond Cote

Ill have to search his history. Sounds like an amazing guy. Thanks

On Jan 31, 2020, at 16:01, Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7PF> wrote:

[...]

Mlynch001

Dennis,

I had just recently finished reading Barrie's Biography in the IEEE SSCS NEWS from 2007, a supremely fascinating story. This would be a good starting place for anyone wanting to learn more about Mr. Gilbert. I am not sure that the term "giant" comes close to what this man has meant to mankind as a whole. His contributions will live on, probably for centuries? This is a sad day for us all.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

G Hopper

Sorry to hear this news Dennis.

Fortunately his inventions will live on as a testimony to his knowledge and
contributions to society.

Grant

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 6:01 PM Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7PF>
wrote:

[...]

Jim Ford

RIP, Barrie Gilbert.   He was indeed a titan of technology and a heck of a nice guy.I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7PF> Date: 1/31/20 6:01 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: [TekScopes] Barrie Gilbert has passed away I lost a friend! We lost a giant analog IC designer! Barrie passed awayafter a fall yesterday. I had lunch with him in October to give him a 6-gunCRT to add to his collection of unusual CRTs. At that time he was slowlyretiring from his Analog Devices laboratory in Beaverton. He is a legend in the analog IC industry. In a few short years at Tek heinvented a way to display the readout on the CRT that every scope made sincethen uses, and he invented the Gilbert Cell, Gilbert Multiplier, GilbertMixer which are all variations of each other. You probably have a GilbertMixer in your cell phone. They wouldn't be much good without it. He hashundreds of other patents as well. He was the most unassuming person I think I have ever met. He once gave atalk on where his creativity came from in my dining room. I took him to ahamfest for the very first time and tried to teach him how to haggle overthe price sticker on the old scopes he wanted to buy. After ignoring myadvice a few times he turned to me and said "I don't want to haggle. Theypay me too much and I don't know what else to do with it but give it away." Rest in peace, Senor Multiplicado! https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.electronics.design/kdz_ab4Rb9o

nonIonizing EMF

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 06:01 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:

I lost a friend! We lost a giant analog IC designer! Barrie passed away
after a fall yesterday.
Wow! I literally watched w2aew's video on the Gilbert Cell maybe three days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nmmb0pqTU0

I've been studying the various mixer, divider and multiplier circuit designs... from the AD datasheets circuit references on the AD831 as well as Mini-Circuits ADE-1 and ADE-24MH. Those datasheets are what got me inquiring more.

Not to sound paranoid... though I'd be rationally paranoid when the U.S. is at War and our domestic policy let's anyone in the World come in with remote sensing and remote transmission systems. I'm hoping there isn't an alarming trend that is being written off as "baby boomers" causation.

Seems there isn't as much an interest in our National Intelligence Brain Trust as much as the National Security Internal Affairs National Security farce compounding and concealing remote sensing and remote transmission poaching that the latest CBS News 60 Minutes report barely detailed and others have been advocating threat awareness of the imminent threat situation then being written off invalidly.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brain-trauma-suffered-by-u-s-diplomats-abroad-could-be-work-of-hostile-foreign-government-60-minutes-2019-09-01/

guy232

I remember enjoying your story a couple weeks ago about you meeting him. Oddly enough later that day after reading your story I was out shopping with my girlfriend who just so happened to purchase the book "Peter Pan" of whom you mentioned Barrie was named after the author, was quite the coincidence.

RIP, sounded like a talented man.