Topics

Anyone know what happened to Stan Griffiths (of Restoring a Classic fame)?

Grayson Evans

Stan wrote: Oscilloscopes: Selecting and Restoring a Classic, which I think is way out of print. Fortunately I still have my copy and use it all the time to ID Tek scopes and plug-ins. He was a Tek employee and lived in Beaverton, not far from me.
He restored my two 547's in the 90's. He was a firm believer in giving the scopes a high pressure wash, then a through dry in an oven he made out of an old refrigerator. Guess it worked. I also traded him some 500 series plug-ins.
Would love to reconnect if he is still alive.
Thanks,
Grayson, KJ7UM

Dave Daniel

Regrettably Stan has passed on.

There are second-hand copies of his book available but they are very, very expensive (between $70 and $300).

DaveD

On 9/28/20 10:37 AM, Grayson Evans wrote:
Stan wrote: Oscilloscopes: Selecting and Restoring a Classic, which I think is way out of print. Fortunately I still have my copy and use it all the time to ID Tek scopes and plug-ins. He was a Tek employee and lived in Beaverton, not far from me.
He restored my two 547's in the 90's. He was a firm believer in giving the scopes a high pressure wash, then a through dry in an oven he made out of an old refrigerator. Guess it worked. I also traded him some 500 series plug-ins.
Would love to reconnect if he is still alive.
Thanks,
Grayson, KJ7UM

Siggi

Hey Grayson,

I didn't know Stan, but here's a message in the archives about his death
and memorial: https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/message/164990.

Siggi

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:37 AM Grayson Evans <wa4gvm@...> wrote:

Stan wrote: Oscilloscopes: Selecting and Restoring a Classic, which I
think is way out of print. Fortunately I still have my copy and use it all
the time to ID Tek scopes and plug-ins. He was a Tek employee and lived in
Beaverton, not far from me.
He restored my two 547's in the 90's. He was a firm believer in giving
the scopes a high pressure wash, then a through dry in an oven he made out
of an old refrigerator. Guess it worked. I also traded him some 500
series plug-ins.
Would love to reconnect if he is still alive.
Thanks,
Grayson, KJ7UM

Colin Herbert

Hi Grayson,
I'm afraid that Stan died earlier this year. This is what Dennis Tillman posted on 30/01/2020:

"I'm sorry to inform everyone that Stan Griffiths W7NI passed away Tuesday night at 00:30."

His obituary is here;
https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/Stan%20Griffiths%20Obituary

Colin.

Stan wrote: Oscilloscopes: Selecting and Restoring a Classic, which I think is way out of print. Fortunately I still have my copy and use it all the time to ID Tek scopes and plug-ins. He was a Tek employee and lived in Beaverton, not far from me.
He restored my two 547's in the 90's. He was a firm believer in giving the scopes a high pressure wash, then a through dry in an oven he made out of an old refrigerator. Guess it worked. I also traded him some 500 series plug-ins.
Would love to reconnect if he is still alive.
Thanks,
Grayson, KJ7UM

David Holland

I thought the VintageTek museum reprinted his book. Are they out again?

(Appears so).... They do make a PDF available:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oscilloscopes-Selecting-and-Restoring-a-Classic-by-Stan-Griffiths-Tektronix/112676196038?hash=item1a3c064ec6:g:3MwAAOSwBjdaKCih

David

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:53 AM Dave Daniel <kc0wjn@...> wrote:

Regrettably Stan has passed on.

There are second-hand copies of his book available but they are very, very
expensive (between $70 and $300).

DaveD

On Sep 28, 2020, at 10:37, Grayson Evans <wa4gvm@...> wrote:

Stan wrote: Oscilloscopes: Selecting and Restoring a Classic, which I
think is way out of print. Fortunately I still have my copy and use it all
the time to ID Tek scopes and plug-ins. He was a Tek employee and lived in
Beaverton, not far from me.
He restored my two 547's in the 90's. He was a firm believer in giving
the scopes a high pressure wash, then a through dry in an oven he made out
of an old refrigerator. Guess it worked. I also traded him some 500
series plug-ins.
Would love to reconnect if he is still alive.
Thanks,
Grayson, KJ7UM

Glydeck

On Sep 28, 2020, at 8:21 AM, David Holland <david.w.holland@...> wrote:

[...]

I was afraid of that. A lot of knowledge went with him.
I hope someone or some organization was able to keep his collection. He had a huge "warehouse" with tons of scopes as well as manuals.
I still have the book but haven't seen it on-line in many years.

Regards,
Grayson

Dave Brown

Stan gave the vintageTEK museum the rights to reproduce his book. No one outside of the family or the museum has the right to reproduce. We have the CD version on the eBay store. We are out of the print copy but will likely be ordering more soon.

Dave