Topics

Am I doing it right?

Ondrej Pavelka

Since you guys and gals here have such a enormous level of joint experience and helped me repair both of the scopes I had trouble with I am curious if I have a right tools for my job or if I'm doing it all wrong.

I repair synthesizers and various recording studio gear for living. I'm a one man repair shop dealing predominantly with Vintage equipment generally speaking before year 2000.
It involves lot of analog measurements and lot of computers based around mostly Z80 or Motorola 6800. Some are quite complex like the mixing console we have in the studio which has 37 Z80 CPUs and countless other expansion chips from the Z80 family.

Up until now I was mainly using my 2445B 200MHz scope and that took me through most jobs I worked on. Then there were occasionally one time events to look at and I have Rigol 2272 with unlocked features to help me there. I still find it much easier to work with 2445 compared to Rigol.
For the digital computer things I have 16 channel USB logic analyser DS Logic plus which I use with Sigrok open source software. It doesn't have enough channels for my needs but the protocol decoders and stack decoders are amazing features none of the old classic logic analyser can match (as far as I'm aware).
I am at the moment looking to get their 32 channel USB3 based version which will allow me to decode Z80 on the fly. I'm not aware of 6800 family decoder yet . It's about $400.

Is there perhaps something in the vintage Tek portfolio I could use and get what I need? Space at my work bench is at premium I'm fighting for every inch of space .

victor.silva

Hi Ondrej,

Have you looked at the Tek 1240/41? The 1240 (black and white, well green CRT) is very reasonable for a 100MHz analyzer and you can get various decoding modules, including Z80. The 1240 can be bought for $50, shipping will be expensive because they are around 13Kg.
The Tek 1241 is the color version.

The only caveat is that these used a heart pacemaker battery that is particularly nasty once it starts leaking.
I replaced mine with a big lithium coin type in a holder that works perfectly.

--Victor

Ondrej Pavelka

That actually looks rather brilliant. It has all the microprocessors I need
supported one way or the other. I'll start looking for various options to
put the viable system together.

What about the Rompacks, is it now leaked to program them yourself or is it
down to hunting them down one by one?

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 16:37 victor.silva via groups.io, <daejon1=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Ondrej,

Have you looked at the Tek 1240/41? The 1240 (black and white, well green
CRT) is very reasonable for a 100MHz analyzer and you can get various
decoding modules, including Z80. The 1240 can be bought for $50, shipping
will be expensive because they are around 13Kg.
The Tek 1241 is the color version.

The only caveat is that these used a heart pacemaker battery that is
particularly nasty once it starts leaking.
I replaced mine with a big lithium coin type in a holder that works
perfectly.

--Victor

victor.silva

I haven't opened up the microprocessor support packs, but I assume they are very similar and given one you can probably modify it to support other CPU by loading the correct EPROM.
In fact Tek made a programmable one called the 12RM99.

I recommend you look at this link, lots of info here:

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/1240

Roy Thistle

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 06:33 AM, Ondrej Pavelka wrote:

I have Rigol 2272
Hi Ondrej:
Rigol had the 2000 series 2Gs scopes, from 70 MHz bandwith up to 300 MHz... what's a 2272?.... I'm speculating you have an unlocked 2272A?
Regards and best wishes.
Roy

Ondrej Pavelka

Yes I have unlocked it to gain all features and more speed

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 21:00 Roy Thistle, <roy.thistle@...>
wrote:

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 06:33 AM, Ondrej Pavelka wrote:

I have Rigol 2272
Hi Ondrej:
Rigol had the 2000 series 2Gs scopes, from 70 MHz bandwith up to 300
MHz... what's a 2272?.... I'm speculating you have an unlocked 2272A?
Regards and best wishes.
Roy

Ondrej Pavelka

Roy,
I noticed I made a typo it is DS2072 not 2272

wrote:

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 06:33 AM, Ondrej Pavelka wrote:

I have Rigol 2272
Hi Ondrej:
Rigol had the 2000 series 2Gs scopes, from 70 MHz bandwith up to 300
MHz... what's a 2272?.... I'm speculating you have an unlocked 2272A?
Regards and best wishes.
Roy

Jan Weber

A Tektronix 1241 is not exactly space-saving...

Regards

Jan Weber

Ondrej Pavelka <info@...> schrieb am So., 14. Juni 2020,
21:19:

wrote:

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 06:33 AM, Ondrej Pavelka wrote:

I have Rigol 2272
Hi Ondrej:
Rigol had the 2000 series 2Gs scopes, from 70 MHz bandwith up to 300
MHz... what's a 2272?.... I'm speculating you have an unlocked 2272A?
Regards and best wishes.
Roy

Ondrej Pavelka

So I'll need to find the chassis and two acquisition card and build the
superpack and buy the probes.
The initial cost looks low but by the time I add probes acquisition cards
etc I'm on several hundred dollars. The microprocessor support is really
great, it covers everything I use and good 95% with only two acquisition
cards.
Still were talking about 100EUR for chassis 100 EUR per acquisition card
and similar 100EUR for probes. Then there is so many other probes and
varieties one can easily throw 1000 at it and still not be done with it. On
the other hand if could sit nicely on the top of the 2445B

wrote:

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 06:33 AM, Ondrej Pavelka wrote:

I have Rigol 2272
Hi Ondrej:
Rigol had the 2000 series 2Gs scopes, from 70 MHz bandwith up to 300
MHz... what's a 2272?.... I'm speculating you have an unlocked 2272A?
Regards and best wishes.
Roy

Jim Ford

Jan Weber is correct about space. I've sent you a private message on this and other stuff.

Jim Ford

So I'll need to find the chassis and two acquisition card and build the
superpack and buy the probes.
The initial cost looks low but by the time I add probes acquisition cards
etc I'm on several hundred dollars. The microprocessor support is really
great, it covers everything I use and good 95% with only two acquisition
cards.
Still were talking about 100EUR for chassis 100 EUR per acquisition card
and similar 100EUR for probes. Then there is so many other probes and
varieties one can easily throw 1000 at it and still not be done with it. On
the other hand if could sit nicely on the top of the 2445B

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 21:51 Jan Weber via groups.io, <jancarlweber=
googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

A Tektronix 1241 is not exactly space-saving...

Regards

Jan Weber

Ondrej Pavelka <info@...> schrieb am So., 14. Juni
2020,
21:19:

> Roy,
> I noticed I made a typo it is DS2072 not 2272
>
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 21:04 Ondrej Pavelka, <info@...>
> wrote:
>
> > Yes I have unlocked it to gain all features and more speed
> >
> > On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 21:00 Roy Thistle, <roy.thistle@...>
> > wrote:

> >> Hi Ondrej:
> >> Rigol had the 2000 series 2Gs scopes, from 70 MHz bandwith up to 300
> >> MHz... what's a 2272?.... I'm speculating you have an unlocked 2272A?
> >> Regards and best wishes.
> >> Roy

Jan Weber

If you're willing to sacrifice the space on your bench you should consider
a HP1652B.

For my taste it has some advantages. You can load disassemblers into the
machine by floppy. You do not need to mess around with ROM packs. It has a
built in digital scope.

https://www.rudiswiki.de/wiki9/CategoryLogicAnalyzer

Regards

Jan

Jim Ford <james.ford@...> schrieb am So., 14. Juni 2020, 22:43:

Jan Weber is correct about space. I've sent you a private message on
this and other stuff.

Jim Ford

So I'll need to find the chassis and two acquisition card and build the
superpack and buy the probes.
The initial cost looks low but by the time I add probes acquisition cards
etc I'm on several hundred dollars. The microprocessor support is really
great, it covers everything I use and good 95% with only two acquisition
cards.
Still were talking about 100EUR for chassis 100 EUR per acquisition card
and similar 100EUR for probes. Then there is so many other probes and
varieties one can easily throw 1000 at it and still not be done with it.
On
the other hand if could sit nicely on the top of the 2445B

On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 21:51 Jan Weber via groups.io, <jancarlweber=
googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

A Tektronix 1241 is not exactly space-saving...

Regards

Jan Weber

Ondrej Pavelka <info@...> schrieb am So., 14. Juni
2020,
21:19:

> Roy,
> I noticed I made a typo it is DS2072 not 2272
>
> On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 21:04 Ondrej Pavelka, <
info@...>
> wrote:
>
> > Yes I have unlocked it to gain all features and more speed
> >
> > On Sun, 14 Jun 2020, 21:00 Roy Thistle, <
roy.thistle@...>
> > wrote:

> >> Hi Ondrej:
> >> Rigol had the 2000 series 2Gs scopes, from 70 MHz bandwith up to
300
> >> MHz... what's a 2272?.... I'm speculating you have an unlocked
2272A?
> >> Regards and best wishes.
> >> Roy

victor.silva

It is a large unit also I would not buy all these components separately.
If you do you will spend hundreds of dollars.

I found my unit for less than $100, fully loaded with boards, probes, clips and a few ROM packs.
It does require time, so if you need it right now, waiting may not be an option.

--Victor

Harvey White

Let me disagree with the model, but not the concept.

My experience is that if it has a hard drive, it's LOTS nicer than one that is running off floppies.  I've had the 1631D, the 1650 and 1651, the 16500 B (has hard drive), the 1661, and the 16702A and 16702B.  These are all HP models.

Tektronix scopes I love, HP scopes (except the later digital ones) drive me up a wall (the 170x models specifically).  HP logic analyzers I like, the Tektronix logic analyzers (and I do have a 308) are annoying, at best.  Granted, I haven't tried the later ones.

If a logic analyer has a hard drive, I like it better.

I've used the kinds of logic analyzer (and HP did both) that had either a keyboard or a touchscreen.

I personally prefer a touchscreen.

Given an option, I'd also go with color, because, seriously, it's nicer.

Whose interface, Tek or HP,  is up to you.  However I'd go for color if possible, and touchscreen.  Since you want inverse assemblers that's yet another matter

Harvey