Topics

AM700

Hi Folks!

Recently I acquired an AM700 crt type in working condition with firmware V1.0.
I searced in group messages for any advice but find very little.
Most of topic learn about leaking smd capacitors wich I plan to check and replace.
Another issue is I would upgrade firmware to last version, service manual tell about floppy disc set but nothing find on the net.
Have anyone an image of this floppy?

Best Regards
Juri

Giampi Redmond

Hi,
I also have an AM700 crt type, my firmware version is V1.05.
The first change I made was replace the original CRT with an LCD display.
I also heard about the famous diskette to update the firmware but I found no trace of them anywhere.
However, the latest firmware version should be that of the AM700 with LCD.

Hi,

Your instrument appear to be last firmware version. I plan to change crt with display shortly,
for the moment is on the workbench for substitute all smd capacitors (someone already changed) and a
strongly pcb wash for remove leaked acid. Have you changed trough hole capacitors? My unit was build in 1994..
About the disk on the web I found only a photo with these 3 disks and other disks i think for diagnostic.

Giampi Redmond

Hi,

When I purchased the instrument it was in working order however I completely disassembled it when I replaced the LCD.
I did a quick check to see if there were leaky capacitors but at this time I didn't find any.
Now it's been a while and maybe it's better to do another check before damage happens.
The only date I see on screen is that of the firmware (06/23/1999) but I don't think it's the date of construction, as soon as I open it I will look at the date on some IC to know the exact construction period.
Can you post the disks pix or the link? Thanks.

Hi,

I find production date marked with pencil on pcb and on nvram battery.
About disk, i casually saw an image during web search.. I will try to find it

Giampi Redmond

Hi,
Thanks for the pictures.
I just opened my instrument: 1994 mine also.
I checked all the capacitors in the various pcbs, no leaks for now (after 25 years!) but I didn't check the PSU capacitors yet.
Some time ago I made a backup copy of U44 and U53 and posted them on TekWiki (http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/ROM_images).
I have ordered now a 80 pin simm socket and when it arrives I will be able to make a backup copy of the firmware v1.05 (it will take at least a month...)
with my eprom programmer via an adapter reading one F28F008SA Flash at a time.

Hi,
Wow! I waiting for your flash image very happy. Do you know if this flash simm are commercial type?
In this days I continued capacitors check, I find some through hole capacitors that just start leak (green oxide on leg and smell when desolder).
I am start to change all capacitors before is to late.

Giampi Redmond

Hi,
I have just posted the v1.05 firmware on the ko4bb website (www.ko4bb.com).
It will take a few days for it to be downloadable.
There are also the two boot roms I had posted some time ago.
The 8MBytes Simm Flash modules are still found on eBay although not of the same model mounted on the AM700.

Hi Giampi,

Wow, I'am very happy for your work!
I will try to install it as soon as possible.

Hi Giampi,

Finally I have found a flash simm for my AM700. I'am being build an adapter from my programmer ( a GQ-4X) to simm module but I have some trouble with RW / CS/ and OE signal. When you have build your adapter were you have connect this signals? What type of programmer you used to read your simm?

Best Regards.

Juri

Giampi Redmond

Hi Juri,

I used this programmer: Hi-Lo All-07.
I read the four memory banks in the flash simm one at a time, then joined the data.
The signals you mentioned are the ones that allowed me to read the memory one block at a time.
I can send you the construction details of the adapter (schematics, pcb etc.), I used Altium Designer, but I can convert everything to pdf.
I don't know how to attach the files here though.

Best Regards.
Giampi

Hi,

Can you send me a pdf of schematics?

my address is @yurighisio

Best Regards,
Juri

Group truncate my address.....

yurighisio_at_iol_dot_it

Note for group owner (Dennis) you can change the settings to make email addresses visible in the archive (as they are in the emails).

In the Privacy Section of the Settings for the group there's a combo-box (drop down) with the caption: "Email Address Visibility In Archive" which has two settings (to mask email addresses or to show them).

David