From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> on behalf of n4buq via groups.io <n4buq=knology.net@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 7:59 AM
To: tekscopes@groups.io
Subject: [TekScopes] ABCs of Probes

I was looking for some information regarding ringing when observing a square wave and ran across this reference:

http://www.cbtricks.com/miscellaneous/tech_publications/scope/abcs_of_probes.pdf

On page 12, Figure 1-11, there are three images of probe compensation shown:

a) Overcompensated.
b) Under compensated.
c) Properly compensated.

Am I missing something or are the images for b and c exactly alike?

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Dave Daniel

Diagram c certainly does not show a properly compensated probe. I’m guessing that an error was made and diagram b was repeated in diagram c in error.

DaveD

On Aug 26, 2020, at 10:59, n4buq <n4buq@...> wrote:

I was looking for some information regarding ringing when observing a square wave and ran across this reference:

http://www.cbtricks.com/miscellaneous/tech_publications/scope/abcs_of_probes.pdf

On page 12, Figure 1-11, there are three images of probe compensation shown:

a) Overcompensated.
b) Under compensated.
c) Properly compensated.

Am I missing something or are the images for b and c exactly alike?

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Colin Herbert

I think that might be a duff document, whether the mistake was done by
Tektronix or someone has edited it, I'm not sure, but the version that I
have has the correct images. There are at least two "ABCs of Probes"
documents - one is referred to as a "primer" but there is also a more
comprehensive one. I have both, but I think you might find the correct one
on TekWiki.
If you want either or both, I could possibly email them to you.

Dave is spot on in what the images should look like.

Colin.

Good catch, Barry. Yep, Tek goofed and reused Image B as Image C. Image C
should be square without rounded corners or overshoot.

Dave Wise
I was looking for some information regarding ringing when observing a square
wave and ran across this reference:

http://www.cbtricks.com/miscellaneous/tech_publications/scope/abcs_of_probes
.pdf

On page 12, Figure 1-11, there are three images of probe compensation shown:

a) Overcompensated.
b) Under compensated.
c) Properly compensated.

Am I missing something or are the images for b and c exactly alike?

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Stephen

Hi Colin,

Could you email them to me please?

Thank you.

Stephen

It might be a good idea for someone that has a TekWiki account, to upload the correct one(s) there.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 05:35 PM, Stephen wrote:

It might be a good idea for someone that has a TekWiki account, to upload the
correct one(s) there.
Colin,
Will you or shall I?

Raymond

n4buq

I suppose someone could have edited that document but find that very unlikely. I also don't think I'd be the first person to see that either. The "ABCs of Probes" on TekWiki appears to be a different (perhaps much later?) document. It does show a correct image for a properly compensated probe; however, those images are somewhat different than the ones in the other document.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Good catch, Barry. Yep, Tek goofed and reused Image B as Image C. Image C
should be square without rounded corners or overshoot.

Dave Wise
I was looking for some information regarding ringing when observing a square
wave and ran across this reference:

http://www.cbtricks.com/miscellaneous/tech_publications/scope/abcs_of_probes
.pdf

On page 12, Figure 1-11, there are three images of probe compensation shown:

a) Overcompensated.
b) Under compensated.
c) Properly compensated.

Am I missing something or are the images for b and c exactly alike?

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Colin Herbert

Raymond, while I have posted stuff to Kurt in the past, for inclusion on TekWiki, I don't actually have an account. So, if you have an account, it is probably easier for you to do it. I will try to post the two documents that I have to Stephen.
Colin.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 05:35 PM, Stephen wrote:

It might be a good idea for someone that has a TekWiki account, to upload the
correct one(s) there.
Colin,
Will you or shall I?

Raymond

Stephen

Thanks Colin,

I’m sending you my email address in a private message.

Cheers mate.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 06:10 PM, Colin Herbert wrote:

Raymond, while I have posted stuff to Kurt in the past, for inclusion on
TekWiki, I don't actually have an account. So, if you have an account, it is
probably easier for you to do it. I will try to post the two documents that I
have to Stephen.
Hi Colin,
I have an account and I have 5 versions. Version 60W-6053-8 (01/04) has the wrong image in 11.1.

I know Stephen and I have regular contact with him. I can send to him as well.

Raymond

Stephen

Thank you both Colin and Raymond.

Very much appreciated.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 06:10 PM, Colin Herbert wrote:

I will try to post the two documents that I have to Stephen.
Colin.
I just sent all my versions to Stephen

Raymond

Merchison Burke

There are 2 versions of the document. The older one (dated 01/04 on the last page) has the error. The newer one (dated 01/05 on the last page) has been corrected.

https://www.avg.com

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 06:26 PM, Merchison Burke wrote:

There are 2 versions of the document. The older one (dated 01/04 on the last
page) has the error. The newer one (dated 01/05 on the last page) has been
corrected.
Actually, I have 5. I just added four (including the 01/04 version) to the "Oscilloscope Probes" article on TekWiki.

Raymond

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 06:53 PM, Raymond Domp Frank wrote:

I just added four (including the 01/04 version) to the "Oscilloscope Probes"
article on TekWiki.
See https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Oscilloscope_probes

Raymond

Glydeck

Might I also suggest posting it to the files area of this TekScopes group.

George

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 09:20 PM, Glydeck wrote:

Might I also suggest posting it to the files area of this TekScopes group.
That could protect against loss if TekWiki would disapppear. O horror!
Why not download them and therefore have them available offline?

I don't think this group, being non-hierarchical, is a suitable repository of (generally available) files.

Raymond

Glydeck

On Aug 26, 2020, at 12:37 PM, Raymond Domp Frank <@Raymond> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 09:20 PM, Glydeck wrote:

Might I also suggest posting it to the files area of this TekScopes group.
That could protect against loss if TekWiki would disapppear. O horror!
Why not download them and therefore have them available offline?

I don't think this group, being non-hierarchical, is a suitable repository of (generally available) files.

Raymond

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 10:24 PM, Glydeck wrote:

Belt & suspenders:

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/ABCs-of-Probes-Primer.pdf
Thanks, George. It's on Tekwiki now as well.

Raymond