A sad shipping story

JOSE V. GAVILA (EB5AGV/EC5AAU) <eb5agv@...>

Hello from Spain,

Well, it had to happen someday... yesterday I got my 'new' Tektronix 466 /
DM-44, coming from UK by UPS. It was well packaged, with lots of bubble
wrap and plastic peanuts, in an strong and large box. But, despite this, it
seems it was thrown over the worst point: front panel side. Results: lots
of broken knobs, bent or broken shafts, damaged internal controls (CH1
POSITION, VAR TIMEBASE at least). I don't know if the tube could have any
internal damage, as the impact was sure large, because front panel was well
protected (I have received about 400 items in last 6 years and, trust me,
this one was really well packaged!)

And this item was last calibrated in 2001 and was in a really good shape
:-( before shipment.

To make me feel sicker, I had just (one hour before!) received a poorly
packaged Heathkit IO-4540 oscilloscope. Of course, this last did not
survive the long trip by Surface Mail from USA to Spain. Case is completely
smashed, chassis is bent and so forth. I got it at eBay and the seller,
once he knew what happened, told me that the item was properly packaged (!)
and blamed the Postal Service :-(

So yesterday was not a great day for me.

Now I need to find some Tektronix 466 knobs (CH1 ATTENUATOR, CH1 POSITION
and several small knobs) and perhaps some internal potentiometers. I could
use less than perfect knobs (I recall to read some time ago one person
offering non-perfect knobs). Also, some fiber shafts are broken. CH1
ATTENUATOR assembly is also damaged internally... I think a 465 assembly
would also serve as a parts donnor. Please, let me know if you have any 465
or 466 parts unit. Thanks!

Best regards,

JOSE

leo.schleider@...

Hello Jose,

while looking for parts for my collection, I got an offer for
465 parts such as several PCBs, Parts for the case and fan. I
don't have details about the parts right now and I also don't
know if the seller wants to send all that stuff out to Spain.
If you are interested in, I get in contact with him and find
out more.

There is still a risk that your CRT got damaged. Parts inside the
CRT might shift or breake when the scope drops that heavy. If
they shift, the image will be distorted. If loose objects in the
CRT are moving around they could damage the phoshor. You will get
little dark spots or scratches. The Mu metal around the CRT might
loose its ability for shielding. To be on the safe side, get the
scope working and check for any geometrical distortions and Flip the
CRT/scope and check it for loose objects.

Hope this helps to bring you further.

Leo

-----Urspr�ngliche Nachricht-----
[...]

Thomas P. Gootee

I ship a lot of oscilloscopes and other equipment. I have a method
that may prevent some damage, for those who might be shipping a scope.

It's easy to see how, if a box containing a heavy piece of equipment
is dropped on the side where the front panel is, the weight of the
unit itself could cause the packing material, and/or the side of the
box, to break things, especially if they are protruding from the
panel. I had ONE scope get damaged, that way, a Tek 7603, when I was
first starting to ship things, even though it was wrapped in lots of
bubble wrap on all sides, and nested in plenty of foam packing-
peanuts. So, now I always use the method below, and haven't had ANY
more cases of damage.

When I pack a heavy instrument that has anything protruding from its
panels, I build a frame or "bumper" around the panels, using rigid or
semi-rigid foam (depending on how the bumper is implemented; see
below). And then I don't put so much bubble-wrap over the panel that
it defeats the purpose of the bumpers.

-->> Probably the easiest way to do it is to use sheets of rigid foam
that are taped securely to the sides and/or top and bottom of the
case, so that they protrude farther than the parts that they are to
protect. (Rackmount handles will serve almost the same purpose.)

I often use foamboard that is about 1/2-inch thick, and is quite a
bit stronger than typical Styrofoam(R), although the white, ice-chest-
type of "Styrofoam(R)" would probably work, too, if it were thicker.

I sometimes use thicker (two inches, say), semi-rigid foam, taped
across or on parts of the panel itself, instead, especially for rear
panels, or, in the case of something like an empty 7603, where I can
tape it across the open plug-in bays, and out past the side of the
case, a little. It's not as easy, and not as good in some ways, as
the rigid-foam method, above. But it does more-easily provide a
little more cushioning, during an impact.

After attaching the bumpers, I also wrap the entire instrument in
about three or more inches of bubble wrap. I usually also put a
separate bubble-wrap "pad", over the panels. But, as I said, not so
thick that it could press on the protruding parts if the box were
dropped.

I then usually surround the unit with foam peanuts. However, I have
recently found a much cheaper, and possibly better, padding and void-
fill material: I went to a local foam-fabricator company. They make
foam chair cushions, custom packaging inserts, et al, starting with
blocks of foam that are about 4x8x16 FEET(!). They even have anti-
static foam, and MANY other kinds, with widely-varying rigidity
and "cushiness". Anyway, they sell their end-scraps, errors, etc,
for only thirty cents per pound. And a pound can be a lot of foam.
Since I have to buy all-new bubble-wrap and foam peanuts, this could
save a very significant amount of money.

I DID finally find a LOCAL source for the bubble wrap, with 24-inch x
250-feet rolls of large-bubble wrap for $32 per roll (shipping would
cost a LOT). But even THAT is still a lot more-costly than if I can
use the foam, instead. And if you ever have to buy bubble-wrap and
peanuts at, for example, Staples, you will realize just how extremely-
expensive it CAN be, to package a single scope.

By the way, I've also had great luck in getting boxes that are size-
"errors" and overruns from custom orders, at local box-fabricating
companies, for about $2 to $3 per box, for sizes that will hold large
Tek mainframes. Their stock sizes are usually not adequate. And
having a small quantity (less than 100-200, say) made can cost $7 to
$10 per box! I have also had good luck in having them "cut down" a
stock size, for a low cost (back in the $2 - $3 range). For example,
making 24x24x24-inch boxes into 24x24x12-inch ones, doing ten or so
while I wait...

Sorry to have blathered-on for so long here! But, if anyone is going
to ship an oscilloscope, this information could be helpful. ("If you
have to flinch when the box is dropped, you didn't pack it well
enough!" - me)

Good luck!

Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg (Used Test Equipment)

--- In TekScopes@y..., "JOSE V. GAVILA (EB5AGV/EC5AAU)" <eb5agv@c...>
wrote:
Hello from Spain,

Well, it had to happen someday... yesterday I got my 'new'
Tektronix 466 /
DM-44, coming from UK by UPS. It was well packaged, with lots of
bubble
wrap and plastic peanuts, in an strong and large box. But, despite
this, it
seems it was thrown over the worst point: front panel side.
Results: lots
of broken knobs, bent or broken shafts, damaged internal controls
(CH1
POSITION, VAR TIMEBASE at least).
<snipped>

George <vee420@...>

--- In TekScopes@y..., "Thomas P. Gootee" <tomg@f...> wrote:
I ship a lot of oscilloscopes and other equipment. I have a method
that may prevent some damage, for those who might be shipping a
scope.
<snipped>

I ordered a couple of 7000 series plug in units from you a while back
and they were very well packed. On the other hand I got a 564 scope
off epay once and it was terribly packed, it was just in the cardboard
box with *no* packing material added. As you would expect the scope
itself was pretty well damaged but the plug in units in it survived
just fine. To be honest all I wanted was the plug in units anyway, so
that worked out good in the end.

George

liam@...

Hello Tom,I have been following this correspondence with interest, I
recently placed a winning bid on a Tek, 7844 mainframe which seems to
be a goer, but unfortunately missed the small print. I live in
Australia and the seller doesn't want to ship the damm thing out to
here. Would you be interested in taking delivery of it for me,
checking it out and shipping it, for a consideration of course !

Regards
William de Bruyn
278 Blackjack Rd.
Harcourt
Victoria 3453
Australia

Thomas P. Gootee

William,

Sure. No problem. My email is tomg(AT)fullnet.com.

Tom

--- In TekScopes@y..., liam@g... wrote:
Hello Tom,I have been following this correspondence with interest,
recently placed a winning bid on a Tek, 7844 mainframe which seems
be a goer, but unfortunately missed the small print. I live in
Australia and the seller doesn't want to ship the damm thing out to
here. Would you be interested in taking delivery of it for me,
checking it out and shipping it, for a consideration of course !

Regards
William de Bruyn
278 Blackjack Rd.
Harcourt
Victoria 3453
Australia

Thomas P. Gootee

George,

Thanks for the testimonial. Sorry to hear about your 564! (I
wouldn't mind knowing who the seller was, in case I ever need to
avoid bidding on any of his auctions. Then again, I buy very few
things through ebay, now.) I have had several similar bad
experiences, with items bought through ebay that were packed
abysmally. One 475 scope even had one of its knobs poked all the way
out through the side of the box. But, there were also times when I
was amazed that equipment that had almost no protective packing
seemed to have survived just fine... Just luck, I guess. To be fair,
I should mention that the majority of items that I purchased through
ebay were packed adequately, and some excellently. (If I ever do buy
equipment there, I always email the seller with packing suggestions,
stating that I'd be glad to pay a little extra for great packing.)

A 564 was the first scope I ever bought (not counting the little
Heathkit one that I built when I was 11 or 12). It worked pretty
well, for a while. I had to repair it a couple of times, then. A
capacitor kept failing, IIRC, taking out the sweep. I never did do a
thorough job of finding out why and correcting the root cause. I
can't remember, now, if the cap was in a plug-in or in the scope
itself. But I still have the scope... and the Heathkit, too; an IO-
17, I think. The Heathkit suffered a very-similar capacitor failure
that also took out the sweep. It still works fine, now, but has been
relegated to shelf storage. I think it cost either $16 or $26, back
around 1968 or 1969. Now, the sought-after Mullard audio-amplifier
tubes in it are probably worth more than that... maybe even
individually. That reminds me of the little Ameco AC-1 CW transmitter
that I bought as a kit, for either $10 or $15, back then. It, also,
is pictured on my antique radios and electronics webpage. A guy
recently offered me $250 for it! And a couple of others have offered
over $150. I can't really imagine why, although one said it was for
sentimental reasons. (I probably should have sold it to him...)

Tom

tomg(AT)fullnet.com