Topics

A Primer of Waveforms and their Oscilloscope Displays

@0culus

I figured this might be of interest to the group. I found this little Tektronix pamphlet for sale at an ebay seller while I was looking for vintage -hp- catalogs. I couldn't pass it up. It dates from ca 1958 and the styling certainly echoes 1950s. While the technical content may not be of much use to the experienced oscilloscope user, I reckon this is the sort of material that field engineers could hand out to new or interested buyers.

If there is interest, I would be willing to scan this to put on TekWiki.

Sean

Glydeck

I would love to read that.

George

On Sep 11, 2020, at 10:15 PM, sdturne@q.com wrote:

I figured this might be of interest to the group. I found this little Tektronix pamphlet for sale at an ebay seller while I was looking for vintage -hp- catalogs. I couldn't pass it up. It dates from ca 1958 and the styling certainly echoes 1950s. While the technical content may not be of much use to the experienced oscilloscope user, I reckon this is the sort of material that field engineers could hand out to new or interested buyers.

If there is interest, I would be willing to scan this to put on TekWiki.

Sean

Richard in Edenton NC

Me too please. That's one I have not seen before.

73 Richard W4MCD

benwetzel

I would also be interested sir.

Tom Phillips

I'm interested too.
Thanks for bring the document to light.

Michael W. Lynch

I would be interested. This type of material needs to be preserved whenever it is found. TekWiki is the perfect repository for this.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

DaveH52

Back on the '60s I owned a 510 and a 511A probably even older than those. I donated the 510 to my H.S. electronics lab, and kept the 511A and got it working again. My room was on the second floor, not well insulated and no air conditioner. Using it in the summer turned my room into a sauna, but in the winter I welcomed the extra heat.

@0culus

Hey all,

I scanned it in full color @ 300 dpi. I have contacted the TekWiki webmaster to inquire about getting it shared there, but in the meantime I placed it into the files repository on this site for safekeeping.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/a_primer_of_waveforms_and_their_oscilloscope_displays.pdf

If someone has good OCR-fu, please feel free to run it through an OCR program.

Sean

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 10:15 AM, Michael W. Lynch wrote:

I would be interested. This type of material needs to be preserved whenever it
is found. TekWiki is the perfect repository for this.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

Phillip Potter

Thank you, Sean, for offering to scan this. I am interesting in reading it, too.

Phil

On 9/11/2020 10:15 PM, sdturne@q.com wrote:
If there is interest, I would be willing to scan this to put on TekWiki.

Sean

Bill Perkins

Thx for that. I pulled it down but have pull it pieces to properly clean it up; that'll take a few days as I'm the middle of overhauling a Quan-Tech 315B manual and an Op/Serv I scraped off the 'net for the FLUKE 8505A/8506A 6 1/2 digit DVMs. Those, btw, can do true rms to several MHz. The 8505A loaded is the one you want. I'll post an OT link once I have it upped on my site.

I'll get back to y'all asap on the Tek 'scope lit and, sooner or later, that Tek original on scope cameras I scored out of Japan with show up, by surface-Covid-mail, because I guess we'd all DIE if the seller put his Covid Cooties on a plane, in an envelope, in a cargo hold, at 35,000 ft, at 40 below, for 12hours.

Best,
Bill

Hey all,
I scanned it in full color @ 300 dpi. I have contacted the TekWiki webmaster to inquire about getting it shared there, but in the meantime I placed it into the files repository on this site for safekeeping.
https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/a_primer_of_waveforms_and_their_oscilloscope_displays.pdf
If someone has good OCR-fu, please feel free to run it through an OCR program.
Sean

Stephen

I would be interested as well. I agree that older documents and gear should be well preserve, and not only in digital format. This is our history after all.

Roy Morgan

On Sep 12, 2020, at 2:49 PM, Stephen <stephen.nabet@...> wrote:

I would be interested as well. I agree that older documents and gear should be well preserve,
Yes, yes. Please scan and post it.

I often find something to learn anew in even quite old document.

Roy

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@...

Ralph Hartwell

I scanned it in full color @ 300 dpi. I have contacted the TekWiki webmaster
to inquire about getting it shared there, but in the meantime I placed it into
the files repository on this site for safekeeping.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/a_primer_of_waveforms_and_their_oscilloscope_displays.pdf

Thank you very much!

Ralph W5JGV - WD2XSH/7

Bill Perkins

Here's just a first pass thru, nothing is to-size or centered on the page as yet but it's OCR-d at least:

https://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/15_Mfrs_Publications/35_Tektronix/A_Primer_of_Waveforms_and_Their_Oscilloscope_Displays.pdf

Sean:
What is the exact original size of that doc, I need it to get everything accurately resized.

Here's a screen scrape off eBay of the 'Tek Scope Camera Concepts' lit that's on the water:

https://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/15_Mfrs_Publications/35_Tektronix/Tek_Scope_Camera_Concepts.jpg

BP

Thx for that. I pulled it down but have pull it pieces to properly
clean it up; that'll take a few days as I'm the middle of overhauling a
Quan-Tech 315B manual and an Op/Serv I scraped off the 'net for the
FLUKE 8505A/8506A 6 1/2 digit DVMs. Those, btw, can do true rms to
several MHz. The 8505A loaded is the one you want. I'll post an OT link
once I have it upped on my site.
I'll get back to y'all asap on the Tek 'scope lit and, sooner or later,
that Tek original on scope cameras I scored out of Japan with show up,
by surface-Covid-mail, because I guess we'd all DIE if the seller put
his Covid Cooties on a plane, in an envelope, in a cargo hold, at 35,000
ft, at 40 below, for 12hours.
Best,
Bill

John Ferguson

excellent. thanks much. john

On 9/12/2020 3:51 PM, Bill Perkins wrote:
    Here's just a first pass thru, nothing is to-size or centered on the page as yet but it's OCR-d at least:

@0culus

Bill,

Awesome! The booklet is exactly 7 inches wide and 9.75 inches tall.

If it's OK with you I will send your finished OCR version along with my original to TekWiki when they get back to me.

Thanks,

Sean

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 12:51 PM, Bill Perkins wrote:

Here's just a first pass thru, nothing is to-size or centered on the page as
yet but it's OCR-d at least:

https://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/15_Mfrs_Publications/35_Tektronix/A_Primer_of_Waveforms_and_Their_Oscilloscope_Displays.pdf

Sean:
What is the exact original size of that doc, I need it to get everything
accurately resized.

Here's a screen scrape off eBay of the 'Tek Scope Camera Concepts' lit that's
on the water:

https://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/15_Mfrs_Publications/35_Tektronix/Tek_Scope_Camera_Concepts.jpg

BP

Bill Perkins

Sean
Bill,
Awesome! The booklet is exactly 7 inches wide and 9.75 inches tall.
OK, thx.
Man is that thing gonna be a job to panelbeat into shape. Everything has age-induced yellow cast, etc, etc.

Can you send me an iPhone snap off-list of, say,the upper RH corner of a page that has a page number up there in a white circle. The sides are chopped off most of them so I need see if that was original.

If it's OK with you I will send your finished OCR version along with my original to TekWiki when they get back to me.
Certainly, and send the interim copy that's on my site right now if you like.

Public domain, open source, Labor of Love, la, la, la . . . :-)

Thanks,
Sean
The Fluke DVM lit I mentioned earlier is here:

https://www.pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/15_Mfrs_Publications/15_Fluke/Fluke_8505_06A_1985_Cat_Data.pdf

and the Op/Serv will follow later today.

Bill

@0culus

Bill,

The half circle is normal. There may be a small sliver chopped off each side on those scans but it doesn't lose any information. The only one where you can tell is Page 6 where they have the graph that goes to the edge. There should be a bit more graph on the right edge, but no plot info is list. If you still need a photo, I can get you one later this afternoon.

Sean

Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 01:30 PM, Bill Perkins wrote:

OK, thx.
Man is that thing gonna be a job to panelbeat into shape. Everything has
age-induced yellow cast, etc, etc.

Can you send me an iPhone snap off-list of, say,the upper RH corner of a page
that has a page number up there in a white circle. The sides are chopped off
most of them so I need see if that was original.

Sean,

thanks so much for scanning this, it is a real treasure.
I will post it up to out Tek service area shortly.
all the best,

walter

Glydeck

Really great scan. Thank you!