From: esmondpitt <esmond.pitt@...>
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: Thursday, 1 February 2018, 17:00
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] New file uploaded to TekScopes@groups.io

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly but I haven't had or used a RAR archive program for twenty years. Would it be possible to upload as ZIP? Or discrete files?

Thanks in advance

EJP

n4buq

7zip is free and will open either type.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Hi , I dont have winzip any more , Winrar is out on the net for free download
. I'll try and do it in the next couple of days .
Brian

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly but I haven't had or used a RAR archive
program for twenty years. Would it be possible to upload as ZIP? Or discrete
files?

Thanks in advance

EJP

Brian

Hi , I've just checked , latest winzip will open .rar archives also

Brian

Hi , I dont have winzip any more , Winrar is out on the net for free download
. I'll try and do it in the next couple of days .
Brian

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly but I haven't had or used a RAR archive
program for twenty years. Would it be possible to upload as ZIP? Or discrete
files?

Thanks in advance

EJP

Malcolm Hunter

Hi,

The benefit up uploading zip files is you don't need any third-party
software to open them.

Malc

On 1 February 2018 at 17:19, Brian via Groups.Io <
brianas1948=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Hi , I've just checked , latest winzip will open .rar archives also

Brian

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly but I haven't had or used a RAR archive
program for twenty years. Would it be possible to upload as ZIP? Or
discrete
files?

Thanks in advance

EJP

Brian

Hi , this would be instead of third-party s/w called winzip . I think you will find that the latest winzip will open .rar files
Brian

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly but I haven't had or used a RAR archive
program for twenty years. Would it be possible to upload as ZIP? Or
discrete
files?

Thanks in advance

EJP

Malcolm Hunter

If you upload zip files, which you can create with WinRAR, WinZip or 7-Zip,
it means people don't have to install any third-party software in order to
open your uploads. Only you mentioned using WinZip as far as I can see in
this thread.

Malc

On 1 February 2018 at 17:41, Brian via Groups.Io <
brianas1948=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Hi , this would be instead of third-party s/w called winzip . I think you
will find that the latest winzip will open .rar files
Brian

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly but I haven't had or used a RAR archive
program for twenty years. Would it be possible to upload as ZIP? Or
discrete
files?

Thanks in advance

EJP

Michael A. Terrell

http://www.7-zip.org/ is free and it will decompress many formats.

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly but I haven't had or used a RAR archive program for twenty years. Would it be possible to upload as ZIP? Or discrete files?

Thanks in advance

EJP

Michael A. Terrell

Brian

I merely mentioned that as it is the most common one used for zip files , but equally as you mention them winrar, winzip or 7zip will open rar files as well as zip files and others . I dont see what the problem is , we all have our favourite archive generators and they all , these days, open many files types .

Brian

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly but I haven't had or used a RAR archive
program for twenty years. Would it be possible to upload as ZIP? Or
discrete
files?

Thanks in advance

EJP

Malcolm Hunter

The point I'm trying to make is zip files open without using any
third-party software. It's integrated into Windows Explorer and probably
most other modern operating systems' file managers.

Malc

On 1 February 2018 at 18:08, Brian via Groups.Io <
brianas1948=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I merely mentioned that as it is the most common one used for zip files ,
but equally as you mention them winrar, winzip or 7zip will open rar files
as well as zip files and others . I dont see what the problem is , we all
have our favourite archive generators and they all , these days, open many
files types .

Brian

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly but I haven't had or used a RAR
archive
program for twenty years. Would it be possible to upload as ZIP? Or
discrete
files?

Thanks in advance

EJP

Brian

that is not something I think I should feel it necessary to consider , when the means to open the files should that not be the case is freely available to anyone and any operating system

Brian

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly but I haven't had or used a RAR
archive
program for twenty years. Would it be possible to upload as ZIP? Or
discrete
files?

Thanks in advance

EJP

Michael A. Terrell

Integrated software is fine for the clueless or casual user, but the third party software wouldn't be created if the Integrated software was better. It often has better features, and is easier to use.

I've had the integrated software refuse to decompress a file that 7Zip did without complaints.

I started using it to combine and decompress scans of very old Electrical Engineering and Radio text books that are out of copyright. They were downloaded from Usenet, which has a severe limit of message size.

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly but I haven't had or used a RAR
archive
program for twenty years. Would it be possible to upload as ZIP? Or
discrete
files?

Thanks in advance

EJP

Michael A. Terrell

Malcolm Hunter

That's fair enough, but why not create files in zip file format when you're
sharing with people who might be clueless or casual (or even political)?
When I'm sharing something with someone else, I always go for the most
commonly-used format (zip, pdf, etc) so that it reduces the chance that it
will cause any difficulties.

Malc

On 1 February 2018 at 18:34, Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell@...>
wrote:

[...]

Force of habit. Some of us have to deal with web servers who don't allow you to upload .zip files since some .zip files are self decompressing and can carry a nasty payload that can turn your computer into an overpriced paperweight.

Not wishing to be curmudgeonly but I haven't had or used a RAR
archive
program for twenty years. Would it be possible to upload as ZIP?
Or
discrete
files?

Thanks in advance

EJP

Michael A. Terrell

Michael A. Terrell

Chuck Harris

What's Windows Explorer? Is it one of those fringe
things like Linux?

From time-to-time, I have to distribute PDF files to
customers so I can get paid. The worst problem is with
those using Windows, where everything (but malware) is
viewed as being potentially dangerous.

In the beginning, I sent PDF's as email attachments,
and it always worked. Then one day, someone found a
vector in the PDF that could be used by malware, and
PDF's got bounced. So, I would send PDF's wrapped in
zip format... which worked for a while, until someone
found a vector in the zip format that could be used
by malware, and that bounced. So now, I send PDF's
wrapped in RAR format, and it just works. For now.

For some reason, I refuse to send my invoices in MSWORD
doc format.

I'm of the opinion that if someone is gracious enough
to share a file with the group, and they use a widely
available and standard format, it might be up to us to
work out the usually trivial way to open the file.

I remember the days when arc and zip were encumbered by
patents, and the freedom loving folk among us used ZOO
to distribute our files.

-Chuck Harris

Malcolm Hunter wrote:

The point I'm trying to make is zip files open without using any
third-party software. It's integrated into Windows Explorer and probably
most other modern operating systems' file managers.

Malc

TekScopes@groups.io Notification <TekScopes+notification@...>

Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the TekScopes@groups.io group.

File: 040-0065-00.zip

Uploaded By: Brian

Tektronix 500 series blank plug-in data sheets

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/files/040-0065-00.zip

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Brian

Hi Chuck , thank you for the support there , I have encountered much the same when sending attachments . I have , to satisfy any less savvy , uploaded a zip file of the same information .
Brian
What's Windows Explorer?  Is it one of those fringe
things like Linux?

From time-to-time, I have to distribute PDF files to

Malcolm Hunter wrote:
The point I'm trying to make is zip files open without using any
third-party software. It's integrated into Windows Explorer and probably
most other modern operating systems' file managers.

Malc

Chuck Harris

Working around windows systems, windows applications,
and windows compatible file formats, from the vast and
ever increasing non windows world, feels like playing
the carnival game whack-a-mole.

-Chuck Harris

Hi Chuck , thank you for the support there , I have encountered much the same when sending attachments . I have , to satisfy any less savvy , uploaded a zip file of the same information .
Brian
What's Windows Explorer? Is it one of those fringe
things like Linux?

Malcolm Hunter

Nevertheless, Windows is still (unfortunately) the predominant operating
system for productivity, especially in the business world.

Malc

On 1 February 2018 at 19:46, Chuck Harris <cfharris@...> wrote:

Working around windows systems, windows applications,
and windows compatible file formats, from the vast and
ever increasing non windows world, feels like playing
the carnival game whack-a-mole.

Dave Brown

Brian, as one of the original requesters, thank you for uploading the file- regardless of format!
DaveB, NZ