Which TDS7000 (Non-B) Serial Numbers are to be avoided?

Egge Siert

Hi to All,

Rather straightforward question. Anybody? Early TDS7000 Series NVRAM's have sometimes a too high current drain. Later ones (like the B-Series) use the DS1245Y-120 Devices.
These seem more reliable.

Greetings,

Egge Siert

David

The TDS (and DPO) 7000 series seem to be very few and far between on the open market, I think it may be a case of taking what's avaialble rather than being able to pic and choose.

guy_ellis_1964

Hi Egge,

I've repaired both types without drama.
If the NVRAM is separate to the battery, check the leakage current and if necessary replace the NVRAM too.
It's easier to de-solder than a DS1245Y-120 anyway.

Before buying a unit make sure that SPC passes.
The trigger chips in these units run very hot and can fail after 10-15 years.
They are almost impossible to find.

Regards,
- Guy

Egge Siert

Hi Guy,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am aware of the Trigger Chip (156-8278-00) problem and looking at some TDS7000B Acquisition Board Pictures (eevblog) I don't see these anymore. A reason to avoid the Non-B Series?

Greetings,

Egge Siert

guy_ellis_1964

Hi Egge,

I've not seen a TDS7000B Acq. board, so I can't comment.
If you can send me a link to a hi-res image I can compare to the TDS7000 Acq. boards I have here.

What bandwidth are you looking for and what's your budget?

Regards,
- Guy

Egge Siert

Hi Guy,

This is the link:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/csa7404b-tds7404b-repair/

Greetings,

Egge Siert

guy_ellis_1964

Hi Egge,

Yes it looks like those trigger chips were designed out on the B.
However it seems like the B models are a bit more expensive.

If you can't find a B Model at the right price, I have a NICE TDS7404 here with good trigger chips and passes SPC ;-)

Regards,
- Guy

Egge Siert

Hi Guy,

Thank you for your offer. I assume it includes all possible Options.

Greetings,

Egge Siert

guy_ellis_1964

Hi Egge,

No, I've tried to keep this unit as original as possible ;-)

It has the following options : 4M JA3 JT3

Regards,
- Guy