Topics

Serial number location for 7603

tinkera123

I acquired a 7603 scope (no plugins) on a "Parts only, not working" basis. It was/is (??) going to be a 'parts provider' for my other 7603. Opened it up to have a quick look at the state of the electronics and familiarize myself with the Board positions, Tek numbering system etc.. Pleasantly surprised to find it seemingly intact, no sign of changed components, and only a surface layer of dust throughout.

I can identify the Boards easily enough. The last numbers are all greater than those in the Manual I downloaded eg 670-1382-03 in Manual versus my 670-1382-08 The 08 is printed onto a white square.

My questions:-
Is my Scope a later version????
Or have the Boards been refurbished????
Does anyone have a web site reference to a later version of this Manual???? Mine states "Nov1977 hi-res" and contains photos and drawings with a wide variety of dates, July 1974 through to 1977.
Where do I find the Tek Serial no????? I can find a Tek sticker on the chassis under the Plugins, at front .... 106586 , but the Tek Serial no: seems to be preceded by a letter B ......?????

I have tackled old radios without circuit diagrams (or out-of-date diagrams) previously ..... now, that wouldn't present too much of a problem .... but this thing is in a completely different league .... and the advantages of having the correct circuit diagrams, and somewhere to ask newbie questions, are obvious.

Thanks,
Ian

Dave Casey

Yes, your scope is a later revision than the manual you have. The 7603 was
a popular general purpose scope, so they made a ton of them over a long
time span.

The serial number is on a printed sticker in the plug-in compartment,
visible only when the plugins are removed. The sticker may have been
removed at some point, in which case you'll have to deduce everything off
of board revision numbers.

Here's an example of the sticker on a 7603, right up front and center:
http://www.barrytech.com/tektronix/tek7000/tek7603angle.jpg

Dave Casey

Artekmedia <manuals@...>

On 1/22/2018 7:33 PM, tinkera123 wrote:
I acquired a 7603 scope (no plugins) on a "Parts only, not working" basis. It was/is (??) going to be a 'parts provider' for my other 7603. Opened it up to have a quick look at the state of the electronics and familiarize myself with the Board positions, Tek numbering system etc.. Pleasantly surprised to find it seemingly intact, no sign of changed components, and only a surface layer of dust throughout.

I can identify the Boards easily enough. The last numbers are all greater than those in the Manual I downloaded eg 670-1382-03 in Manual versus my 670-1382-08 The 08 is printed onto a white square.
the 670-1382- board is the A10  rectifier board my manual shows REV K and 670-1382-06 for serial numbers B25000 and above

My questions:-
Is my Scope a later version????
Or have the Boards been refurbished????
Could be either no way to tell for sure

Does anyone have a web site reference to a later version of this Manual???? Mine states "Nov1977 hi-res" and contains photos and drawings with a wide variety of dates, July 1974 through to 1977.
Where do I find the Tek Serial no????? I can find a Tek sticker on the chassis under the Plugins, at front .... 106586 , but the Tek Serial no: seems to be preceded by a letter B ......?????
The "B" indicates it was manufactured in the Beaverton, Oregon , USA. The "10xxxx" units without the "B" were manufactured in Guernsey Island in the UK. Where are you located ? It is unusual but not unheard of for UK units to show up in the USA, If your in the Europe, probably a UK unit. Typically but not always the UK units had a separate manual. and some slight changes ( 50Hz /240V power etc) .

Manuals for UK units are harder to come by and even fewer  have been scanned because there were just fewer manuals in circulation compared to the USA counter parts. So while my manual appears to be a slightly later version than yours no guarantee that it would cover your unit. In general I think you will find the USA manuals to be pretty close but not exact

I have tackled old radios without circuit diagrams (or out-of-date diagrams) previously ..... now, that wouldn't present too much of a problem .... but this thing is in a completely different league .... and the advantages of having the correct circuit diagrams, and somewhere to ask newbie questions, are obvious.

Thanks,
Ian

Good luck
-DC
manuals@artekmanuals.com

--
Dave
Manuals@ArtekManuals.com

Dave Wise

The sticker is likely a property ID tag having nothing to do with S/N. Serial numbers were stamped in metal, on the front panel itself for early products, later on a slug that was press-fitted into the panel.

Dave Wise
[...]

On the 7603, 7613, and probably others, the serial number is a sticker just
like the ones found on the plugins. It is not stamped, nor is it on one of
those inserts like other equipment (7854, 2336, 492, etc). How many of my
7603's would you like pictures of as proof?

Dave Casey

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 7:27 PM, Dave Wise <david_wise@phoenix.com> wrote:

[...]

tom jobe <tomjobe@...>

I just looked at some 7603's in the middle of a stack, and they are those nice late model ones that were made in Holland, which might be what you have.
I couldn't see any serial number tag on the front or back but they are full of plugins so I couldn't easily look inside. When you do find the S/N tag it may not have a 'B' prefix to the number because Tektronix in Holland didn't use the Beaverton B series serial numbers.
As far as I know there never was a proper service manual for the 7603's made in Holland, but perhaps someone will know the correct story about a late Holland service manual.
You can tell the late 7603's because they have a thicker cover on the upper half of the back, and it is not made of molded tan(?) colored plastic, but rather of folded perforated aluminum sheet.
As far as I know all of these late Holland 7603's have a cooling fan, whereas the earlier 7603's did not have any cooling fan.

Awhile later... I found another Holland 7603 with no plug-ins and the S/N tag is on the bottom front frame crossbar where the plugins just cover it up, and the S/N starts with an "H". This tag is a normal stick on Tektronix S/N tag made of three horizontal stripes, with the top and bottom strips being Tek blue and the actual serial number printed in the center white stripe the way you are use to seeing it.
tom jobe...

On 1/22/2018 5:50 PM, Dave Casey wrote:
[...]

Dave Daniel

I have been trying to find where the serial number of my 7623A is since this thread was started, and I just found it in the same place as Tom cites - mine is at the front of the center plug-in slot just behind the bottom cross-bar. Mine is a Beaverton serial number, It is that standard blue-and-gray foil sticker that is on most plug-ins.

I have had a similar problem locating serial numbers on Tektronix instruments on several occasions. It always bugs me that when I finally find the number, it is almost always in a very obvious place.

I have a few plug-ins from Heerenveen in the Netherlands, and they all have serial numbers that begin with "H".

DaveD

On 1/22/2018 7:47 PM, tom jobe wrote:
[...]

Phillip Potter

Here you go, and thanks for the prompt, Dave Casey!

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=17107&;p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

[...]

I'll take your word for it until I have time to independently confirm.

Sorry to the rest of you for reducing the signal to noise ratio. I was trying to help, but sometimes that goes wrong.

Dave Wise
On the 7603, 7613, and probably others, the serial number is a sticker just
like the ones found on the plugins. It is not stamped, nor is it on one of
those inserts like other equipment (7854, 2336, 492, etc). How many of my
7603's would you like pictures of as proof?

Dave Casey

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 7:27 PM, Dave Wise <david_wise@phoenix.com> wrote:

The sticker is likely a property ID tag having nothing to do with S/N.
Serial numbers were stamped in metal, on the front panel itself for early
products, later on a slug that was press-fitted into the panel.

Dave Wise

Dave Wise

Thank you, Philip, for the memory jog. I've seen that style of tag, many times, but forgot due to years of non-refresh.

Dave Wise
Here you go, and thanks for the prompt, Dave Casey!

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=17107&;p=Name,,,20,1,0,0

On 1/22/2018 5:50 PM, Dave Casey wrote:
On the 7603, 7613, and probably others, the serial number is a sticker just
like the ones found on the plugins. It is not stamped, nor is it on one of
those inserts like other equipment (7854, 2336, 492, etc). How many of my
7603's would you like pictures of as proof?

Dave Casey

tinkera123

Wow, thank you for the interest in my problem. Dave Casey, Dave @Artek Manuals, Dave Wise, DaveD ..... so many Daves .... 😀

To answer a few of your questions ....

I live in Melbourne, Australia ....

The Sticker on my scope is in the correct position, looks like the Tek sticker in photos above, has the number 106586 written on it .... no “B” ..... no “H”.

Also, I found a Sticker with Guernsey Islands on it, amongst the multitude of coloured stickers ...... didn’t for a minute think that it may have been manufactured there. That one I will now leave intact.

It has the Fan option.

So.... it would seem that I have a Guernsey Island manufactured 7603 number 106586. That’s a great start. Thanks to all.

UK Manual??? I am away from Home at the moment (picking up another 7603), so I will start Googling for a UK manual when I get Home.
Does anyone have one, or suggest a web site??
Dave @ Artek .... is your later version manual for sale or a freebee web site??

Thanks,
Ian

Artekmedia <manuals@...>

Ian

Our version is for sale at www.ArtekManuals.com. Full size A3, 600 dpi schematics, text searchable, electronic table of contents for faster navigation, gray scale scanning of the photo pages etc. very modestly priced :-)

I'll Send you a private email with more detail

-DC

I'll send you a private email with more information.

On 1/24/2018 2:40 AM, tinkera123 wrote:
[...]

Thanks DC, your latter version manual of the 7L13 proved to be spot-on.

By later today, I should be the proud owner of three of these beasts in varying conditions of ‘health’ with one as a normal scope, one as a spectrum analyzer and one a so-called parts only. I need to work out all the numbers, then see which manual(s)I need.

Cheers,
Ian