A scope for sale in Massachusetts

No connection with the seller, but I found this while trolling for anything that mentioned “tektronix” and thought others might be interested: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-Dual-BEAM-dualTrace-100Mhz-Oscilloscope-/203577968782

I have messaged the seller for more information and better pictures.

— Jeff Dutky

Mark Vincent

Jeff,

Even with the dark photo in the ad, it is a 565 with P2 phosphor. The placement of the knobs below the screen and what writing that can be read were compared to the light pictures of a 565 online. It is a 10mc scope, NOT 100mc as the owner says. This has already been listed a number of times over the past several weeks.

Mark

Mark,

Wow, that is a tight call from such a dark picture. I had a look at the TekWiki page, and while you are obviously right, I would have had a very hard time figuring that out. I'm not at all surprised, however, that the scope is being misrepresented by the seller, given the quality of the rest of the presentation.

So, regardless of the current value or utility of this scope (which are separate things), I'm puzzled about what the original target market and use for these scopes was. My point of view on these matters is admittedly limited, both by my relative youth, and by the applications to which I have been exposed, but I don't understand why you would build a scope that directly drives the deflection plates when the bandwidth is so low, even for 1962. Was (is?) there really a use case for a scope with only 10 MHz bandwidth and dual delayed time bases when you could have had a 30, 50, or 100 Mhz scope?

-- Jeff Dutky

Roy Morgan

I used to have A 500- series scope with dual beams and low bandwidth. Not sure of the number. The bandwidth was low. I remember that the intended application was medical and biological research.

Roy Morgan
K1LKY Western Mass

On Aug 25, 2021, at 1:39 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote
I'm puzzled about what the original target market and use for these scopes ...

Dave Seiter

Probably a 502.  My first scope was a 502 (it was also the reason I joined Tekscopes, but I have never gotten around to finishing the repair).  Not only is the bandwidth low, but it varies depending on amplitude setting.
-Dave

On Wednesday, August 25, 2021, 11:23:00 AM PDT, Roy Morgan <k1lky68@gmail.com> wrote:

I used to have A 500- series scope with dual beams and low bandwidth. Not sure of the number. The bandwidth was low. I remember that the intended  application was medical and biological research.

Roy Morgan
K1LKY Western Mass

On Aug 25, 2021, at 1:39 PM, Jeff Dutky wrote
I'm puzzled about what the original target market and use for these scopes ...

Roy Morgan

Yes likely a 502. ONE mc bandwidth. No removable plug- one.

Roy Morgan
K1LKY Western Mass