What's another good plugin to get for a 544 with 1A1?

Keith

re: Ebay sky high.

I almost hate to rub it in, but did you see the link I put up the other day, from eBay? A fellow in Corona California selling six plug in modules he had gotten from a storage unit purchase. He had very little idea what he had. He sold them for $25 - for all six!

Sadly, the auction was almost over when I first found it and it ended at a weird time too, but I did throw it up on the forum in hopes that someone here would get it.

So I reckon there are still a few plug-in bargains, even on fleabay, but yeah not like ten years ago for sure.

Cheers

Keith

snapdiode

1A4 is nice but needs some care, the large amount of wafer contacts need cleaning, and there's a lot of point-to-point wiring that can go bad. I even had a joint that was not soldered from the factory. Also it contains rare dual JFETs, and the overall design is difficult to repair and easy to damage, there's 4 channels crammed into that plugin. Maybe a nice 1S1.

But the days of trawling eBay for low price plugins were 10+ years ago. Prices are absurdly high now.

Sean Turner

John,

There's also the Type 1A2 that is roughly the same thing as a Type CA in terms of functionality (quite a bit wider bandwidth though). I have one that came with my Type 547 estate sale find, and I'm really not using it much. Would consider a trade for other stuff. :o)

Sean

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 04:21 PM, John Griessen wrote:

lucked onto a 544 advertised in the Santa Fe craigslist.
The 1A1 seems good for most use cases. mine is "The third model, from ???
until the end has four-sided V/cm knobs and a FET front-end."
https://www.ecosensory.com/tek/box_LG025-J1-tek-544-1a1.jpg

1A4 seems good for emulating Jim Williams with lots of traces displayed...

1A5 seems like a fine one, and can use the P6046 diff probes, (but I'd have to
do the cal for P6046, which is long and detailed, and I have P6046's already
matched to amps that stay together and work in any scope.)

1A7A would be nice -- same features as 7A22, more sensitive than the 1A1...

John Griessen

I lucked onto a 544 advertised in the Santa Fe craigslist.