#file-notice Tektronix PRISM GPX3001 w/ 32GDP logic analyzer #file-notice

Jim Ford

Hi, lostinfailure (interesting handle!).   I have some experience with the Prism system going back a couple decades.   I probably can't help you get it up and running, but when you do, feel free to reach out to me with any questions about operating it.  I'll do my best to answer.               Jim Ford in Southern California, USASent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: "lostinfailure via groups.io" <lost_in_failure=protonmail.com@groups.io> Date: 7/6/21 3:54 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: [TekScopes] #file-notice Tektronix PRISM GPX3001 w/ 32GDP logic analyzer Hi everyone!This is my first post here, I am an embedded systems engineer and I do quite a bit of electronics.I had the opportunity to get a GPX3001 logic analyzer with one 32GPX module for a good price. It came with a lot of accessories. It has the following options:- Harddisk plus Keyboard (1Z)- Real-Time Performance Analysis 32PA (1A)- Upgrade to 32k Memory/Channel 32GPD (1S)- RS-232 Communication Pack (1C)- GPIB Communication Pack (2C)It came with 4 P6490 probes, 80 data leads total.I also got 2 binders full of documentation in physical form (which I scanned):- instructions-1200c01-rs_232c_comm_pack-070-6675-02.pdf- instructions-1200c02-gpib_comm_pack-070-7415-01.pdf- instructions-goscript-postscript_language_interpreter_software-061-4032-01.pdf- release_notes-prism_30c02-general_purpose_interface_bus-061-3857-01.pdf- release_notes-prism_32gpx-acquisition_module-061-3893-03.pdf- release_notes-prism_32pa-performance_analysis-061-3916-00.pdf- release_notes-prism-system_software-070-8009-11.pdf- user_manual-prism_3001-system-070-6672-04.pdf- user_manual-prism_30c02-general_purpose_interface_bus-070-8008-00.pdf- user_manual-prism_32gpx-acquisition_module-070-8465-00.pdf- user_manual-prism_32pa-performance_analysis_software-070-8494-00.pdfSince I found very little information on that beast, I took the time to scan everything and run the OCR on the resulting PDFs. I also dumped all the floppies. I put everything on archive.org here:https://archive.org/details/tektronix_gpx3001I have some advertisement and guides that I haven't scanned yet. I may add them to the archive when I find some time.I also opened the device and found that the IDE hard drive interface board is very simple: one DIP IC and a handful of resistors. I haven't dismantled everything but on a first look I think that it could be easily recreated.With that out of the way, I have a problem with it. The 32GPX application SW refuses to load. I tried multiple ways:- Boot system from hard drive, insert 32GPX SW floppy and use the Load Application feature from the SAVE/RESTORE menu: "Load application operation failed."- Install the 32GPX SW from the floppy disk to the hard drive. The installation succeeds but when I reboot, software isn't found. Manually loading from the HDD fails also.- Disconnect the hard drive and boot. Load System SW from floppy at boot, succeeds. When prompted for Application SW, put in the 32GPX floppy. Loading starts and after a while says that no software could be found:  "Software has not been loaded for: GPX1".I tried recreating a new 32GPX SW floppy disk, thinking the signal degraded after 25 years:- I found an old 3.5" 1.5MB- I taped the left-corner hole- I formatted it to 720KB inside the PRISM GPX3001- I used an old Linux computer to perform a low-level copy of the original floppy using ddThe duplicated floppy gives the exact same behavior as the original. Other programs from other floppies load fine.I ran both the system and the GPX32 diagnostic tools and have no error (except from an RS232 loopback test failing which I assume is safe to ignore).From these experiments, I know this is not a hard drive problem/filesystem corruption. I also believe that the floppy disk is likely intact since it is in very good condition and I had no error while dumping the disks.This leads me to believe there is something wrong on the hardware level, or I have the wrong software. Unfortunately, the 32GPX SW was not installed on the hard drive. I don't understand why since, according to the documentation, this should have come pre-installed from the factory.It appears that a user from this group had the same issue and was able to work around it a while back (12 years ago!!): https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/message/42138 . I hope that someone here remembers what it was? I think that this user is still active here.PS: I have just noticed, after having written all of this, that some GPX3001 binaries are available on http://www.ko4bb.com. There are even ROM dumps! I will have a look at these tomorrow. I may try to disassemble the ROM files to see where the error might come from.Thank you for reading me and I hope someone will find the archive useful.All the best

lostinfailure

[...]

From these experiments, I know this is not a hard drive problem/filesystem corruption. I also believe that the floppy disk is likely intact since it is in very good condition and I had no error while dumping the disks.