Wondering if there is probe ID rings out there in the Either.

DaveD,

While I'm something of a purist, I acknowledge the logic of using a sprung hook, mini-hook or mini-grabber in place of the large and unreliable alligator clips. I use mini-grabbers on about half of my multimeters rather than traditional hard point probes because they are so much easier to work with.

-- Jeff Dutky

Dave Daniel

I always substituted Pomona-type hooks instead of alligator clips when I repaired scope probe ground leads.

DaveD

On Jul 2, 2021, at 20:16, Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

Eric (and anyone else), about ground leads for the P612x probes:

As I said, these are hard to come by (in my experience. If anybody knows of a source for new stock on these, I'd be happy to know about it), but I'm doing a little experiment in make my own.

I ordered a set of crimping connectors for 2.54mm pin headers and I have tested them against a partly disassembled ground collar from a subminiature modular probe (part number 343-1003-01) which, I think, uses the same kind of ground lead as the P612x probes. The female crimp connectors seem to mate correctly with the pin in the ground collar.

The ground leads for the subminiature modular probes are part numbers 196-3286-00 and 196-3287-00, 8- and 12-inch, with the alligator clip either permanently attached or screw-on, respectively. The ground leads for the miniature modular probes are different part numbers, 175-0848-00 and 175-0848-01 for 3-inch and 5-inch respectively, but they seem to be interchangeable in my experience.

I'm currently waiting on a set of crimping alligator clips, and selection of wire gauges for making my own ground leads, and will report back after those arrive.

-- Jeff Dutky

Eric (and anyone else), about ground leads for the P612x probes:

As I said, these are hard to come by (in my experience. If anybody knows of a source for new stock on these, I'd be happy to know about it), but I'm doing a little experiment in make my own.

I ordered a set of crimping connectors for 2.54mm pin headers and I have tested them against a partly disassembled ground collar from a subminiature modular probe (part number 343-1003-01) which, I think, uses the same kind of ground lead as the P612x probes. The female crimp connectors seem to mate correctly with the pin in the ground collar.

The ground leads for the subminiature modular probes are part numbers 196-3286-00 and 196-3287-00, 8- and 12-inch, with the alligator clip either permanently attached or screw-on, respectively. The ground leads for the miniature modular probes are different part numbers, 175-0848-00 and 175-0848-01 for 3-inch and 5-inch respectively, but they seem to be interchangeable in my experience.

I'm currently waiting on a set of crimping alligator clips, and selection of wire gauges for making my own ground leads, and will report back after those arrive.

-- Jeff Dutky

Eric,

The P6108 does not have a readout pin ("ID ring"). The other two should, but the shrouds appear to be easily shattered and lost.

While the P6120/21/22 are supposedly "miniature modular" probes they use a completely different kind of ground lead, which is nearly impossible to find. You may be able to make your own with a female pin socket and some shrink wrap tubing, however. The witches hats should be the same as for other miniature modular probes, but I have had mixed luck with both original Tek witches hats, as well as new Chinese made ones on the P612x probes.

The modern Chinese made clip-on ground leads work perfectly well with other miniature modular probes (like the P6075), so you can just order a set from eBay or Amazon.

-- Jeff Dutky

Eric

I have 3 TEK P6108 Probes that needs id rings and A Tek P6075 that needs a ring and a ground lead. I also Have a Tek 6121 that needs a ground lead and a witches hat.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io <TekScopes@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Cockburn
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 1:50 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Wondering if there is probe ID rings out there in the Either.

Eric, maybe the brand and model number of the probes would help us to help you.

Torch

The probes I have use an 11k resistor to ground a spring loaded pin on the probe. The pin contacts a ring which is located on the scope itself, not the probe. The pin is integral to the BNC connector of the probe, not something added on.

Although, I don't see why an adapter couldn't be used, if such a thing exists.

Failing that you could spoof the readout like so:

https://www.jmargolin.com/projects/TekReadout.htm

Brian Cockburn

Eric, maybe the brand and model number of the probes would help us to help you.

Jean-Paul

Eric, the diameter depends on the probe model

What number and how many needed?

I am sure the forum veterans have them, perhaps Walter at Sphère Research

Kind Regards

Jon

Dave Casey

Do you already have the notched BNC connector and you're just missing the
plastic, pin, spring, and resistor that goes on it? Or are these probes
that never had ID rings?

Dave Casey

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 10:28 PM Eric <ericsp@gmail.com> wrote:

I have some new to me probes that seem like they are in working order. But
they are missing the 10X probe ID rings. I was wondering if this is a part
that I could buy or make. I have a 3d printer and I know all that is in
there is a resister in there. Seeing if anyone has any ideas.

Eric

I have some new to me probes that seem like they are in working order. But they are missing the 10X probe ID rings. I was wondering if this is a part that I could buy or make. I have a 3d printer and I know all that is in there is a resister in there. Seeing if anyone has any ideas.