Wondering if there is probe ID rings out there in the Either.

DaveD,

While I'm something of a purist, I acknowledge the logic of using a sprung hook, mini-hook or mini-grabber in place of the large and unreliable alligator clips. I use mini-grabbers on about half of my multimeters rather than traditional hard point probes because they are so much easier to work with.

-- Jeff Dutky

Dave Daniel

I always substituted Pomona-type hooks instead of alligator clips when I repaired scope probe ground leads.

DaveD

On Jul 2, 2021, at 20:16, Jeff Dutky <jeff.dutky@gmail.com> wrote:

Eric (and anyone else), about ground leads for the P612x probes:

As I said, these are hard to come by (in my experience. If anybody knows of a source for new stock on these, I'd be happy to know about it), but I'm doing a little experiment in make my own.

I ordered a set of crimping connectors for 2.54mm pin headers and I have tested them against a partly disassembled ground collar from a subminiature modular probe (part number 343-1003-01) which, I think, uses the same kind of ground lead as the P612x probes. The female crimp connectors seem to mate correctly with the pin in the ground collar.

The ground leads for the subminiature modular probes are part numbers 196-3286-00 and 196-3287-00, 8- and 12-inch, with the alligator clip either permanently attached or screw-on, respectively. The ground leads for the miniature modular probes are different part numbers, 175-0848-00 and 175-0848-01 for 3-inch and 5-inch respectively, but they seem to be interchangeable in my experience.

I'm currently waiting on a set of crimping alligator clips, and selection of wire gauges for making my own ground leads, and will report back after those arrive.

-- Jeff Dutky

[...]

Eric,

The P6108 does not have a readout pin ("ID ring"). The other two should, but the shrouds appear to be easily shattered and lost.

While the P6120/21/22 are supposedly "miniature modular" probes they use a completely different kind of ground lead, which is nearly impossible to find. You may be able to make your own with a female pin socket and some shrink wrap tubing, however. The witches hats should be the same as for other miniature modular probes, but I have had mixed luck with both original Tek witches hats, as well as new Chinese made ones on the P612x probes.

The modern Chinese made clip-on ground leads work perfectly well with other miniature modular probes (like the P6075), so you can just order a set from eBay or Amazon.

-- Jeff Dutky

Eric

I have 3 TEK P6108 Probes that needs id rings and A Tek P6075 that needs a ring and a ground lead. I also Have a Tek 6121 that needs a ground lead and a witches hat.

Eric