Need Detent Ball Bearing for Sweep Mode Switch

n4buq

Previously I asked about a Trigger Mode Switch for my 453. That should have been the Sweep Mode Switch. Sorry about that.

In any case, I pulled the old one and I think it's repairable; however, it's missing one of the 7/64" ball bearings that are used as the spring detent bearings.

Sadly, for a few years, I kept noticing a tiny ball bearing on the kitchen counter (where I'd sometimes work on test equipment, this 453 included), and, last year during a cleanup, I think I finally tossed it as I had no idea where it went. I usually hang on to things like that but it looks like I didn't this time.

Anyone have a stash of those and would be willing to send one or two to me for a fee? Apparently those are standard sizes as I see them for sale at several places but they're for quantities of 25 or more and I don't want that many tiny ball bearings floating around the shop and I'll likely never need another one.

We have a fairly well-stocked old-fashioned hardware store in town and I'm going to try there but not holding out too much hope and thought I'd ask here.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

I don’t have a stash of ball bearings (that I know of, but there’s a lot of stuff of my dad’s, out in the garage, that I haven’t had a chance to go through, so who knows), but you can get 100 of them for $5 on Amazon.

— Jeff Dutky

n4buq

Yeah, I've found a few places but they're 25 or more. Not really that big of a deal and if I don't find one or two, then I'll get a pack. In any case, it beats buying an entire switch. I'm just so disappointed in myself for "cleaning up" and now not having what's missing. I should've known a blank spot for that bearing would turn up eventually.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

I don’t have a stash of ball bearings (that I know of, but there’s a lot of
stuff of my dad’s, out in the garage, that I haven’t had a chance to go
through, so who knows), but you can get 100 of them for $5 on Amazon.

— Jeff Dutky

Richard Knoppow

It seems to be a rule of nature that if you toss anything, even if you have had it for decades, within a couple of weeks you will have a critical use for it. OTOH, if you keep everything before long you won't be able to get around your house without crawling under things.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com

Wayne

It seems to be a rule of nature that if you toss anything, even if you have had it for decades, within a couple of weeks you will have a critical use for it. OTOH, if you keep everything before long you won't be able to get around your house without crawling under things

That is so true it's just painful!!

Ed Breya

So true indeed. After a lifetime of saving stuff, and performing large inventory reductions every so often, I still have a long way to go. My standard defense against mockery of my hoarding behavior and common sense, is that yes, I can't picture possibly ever using even one percent of it - the problem is that I don't know which one percent that is. I've never had any complaints about managing to come up with an obscure part and solution for a need.

Ed

Oliver Viitamaki

Have you checked at a bicycle repair location? They have many different sizes and generally sell in single quantities.
ov

n4buq

Hi Oliver,

We have a few of those and it occurred to me to check with them. I'm waiting for them to open.

Good idea and thanks for the reply,
Barry - N4BUQ

Have you checked at a bicycle repair location? They have many different sizes
and generally sell in single quantities.
ov

Ananda

Ace hardware carries a few sizes. Not sure if you have one in your area though!

n4buq

Apparently the one close by does not have the individual ball bearings. I found an old rotary switch that has what appears to be the same size bearings in it. Hopefully it does and I can use one of them.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Ace hardware carries a few sizes. Not sure if you have one in your area
though!

Gordon Smith

Hi Barry,
One option to consider is to ask around the local knife making enthusiasts and seeing if one of them will work with you on purchasing a group of ball bearings (break up the cost in a reasonable manner). You grab 2-3 and they get the rest for making a Damascus knife. A win/win for everyone :). Just a thought.

73, Gordon KJ6IKT

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 06:18 PM, n4buq wrote:

Yeah, I've found a few places but they're 25 or more. Not really that big of
a deal and if I don't find one or two, then I'll get a pack. In any case, it
beats buying an entire switch. I'm just so disappointed in myself for
"cleaning up" and now not having what's missing. I should've known a blank
spot for that bearing would turn up eventually.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

n4buq

Hi Gordan,

I really don't know any local knife makers but thanks for the idea. It really isn't the cost so much as having a small stash of ball bearings that I'm fairly sure I'd never use more than one or two more - ever.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

[...]

The ball out of the old switch was an exact match.

I felt a bit bad for robbing it but the switch was an older one out of a rather crusty old transmitter that I'd already robbed parts from so that made me feel a bit more okay about it.

On to fixing that Sweep Mode Switch. Thanks to everyone for the helpful pointers. I'll keep those in mind as resources.

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

Ace hardware carries a few sizes. Not sure if you have one in your area
though!

Jim Adney

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 08:21 AM, Oliver Viitamaki wrote:

Have you checked at a bicycle repair location? They have many different sizes and generally sell in single quantities.
Ball bearings in bicycles come in a few common sizes, usually in 1/16" steps. 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 are the common sizes, but some front hubs use 7/32. I'm not aware of any 7/64 bicycle bearings. If you find an old time bike shop that still has a selection of what we called retainers, some of them might contain 7/64 balls. Retainers were assemblies of balls in a steel cage, sold as a unit for a particular application. Many modern bike shops won't know anything about them.

ken chalfant

Greetings,

While somewhat of an over-kill McMaster Carr lists “Hard wear-Resistant 52100 Alloy steel balls" in 7/64” (PN: 9528K124)

A package of 100 lists fro $12.91 + TX and Shipping.

You should never run out of these - ever!

FWIW.

Regards,

Ken

On 3Jun, 2021, at 10:14 AM, Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 08:21 AM, Oliver Viitamaki wrote:

Have you checked at a bicycle repair location? They have many different sizes and generally sell in single quantities.
Ball bearings in bicycles come in a few common sizes, usually in 1/16" steps. 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 are the common sizes, but some front hubs use 7/32. I'm not aware of any 7/64 bicycle bearings. If you find an old time bike shop that still has a selection of what we called retainers, some of them might contain 7/64 balls. Retainers were assemblies of balls in a steel cage, sold as a unit for a particular application. Many modern bike shops won't know anything about them.

SCMenasian

Amazon has 100 balls for about half that price (plus free shipping, I think, if total order is high enough)