Recommended probes for 547?

Grayson Evans

I need a new set of descent Tek probes for my 547. I am tired of the cheap "asian" knockoffs I have been using. They are driving me nuts (intermittent, broken X10 switches, spring tips that don't make contact, etc.).
Can anyone recommend a Tek model number and a place to get them?
Tek made about a zillion probes it seems, Really confusing.
Thanks,

What plug-Ins are you using, and what kind of connectors (BNC, UHF) do they have?

toby@...

On 2021-05-25 7:57 p.m., Grayson Evans wrote:
I need a new set of descent Tek probes for my 547. I am tired of the cheap "asian" knockoffs I have been using. They are driving me nuts (intermittent, broken X10 switches, spring tips that don't make contact, etc.).
Can anyone recommend a Tek model number and a place to get them?
That's a great question for Walter at Sphere BC, who is on this list.

He sells probes and will have an answer to that question.

Look for 'tektronix scope probes' on this page:
https://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/stuffday.html

--Toby
(Just a satisfied Sphere customer)

Tek made about a zillion probes it seems, Really confusing.
Thanks,

Sean Turner

If you want new probes, take a look at Probemaster. They have a variety of different passive probes with a variety of capacitance specs. Plus you'll be getting all the accessories. As far as Tek probes, it seems the P6006 was a pretty common probe for 50 MHz plug ins in the 1 series. I have a few of these I got for mine, but one has a broken conductor somewhere around the strain relief near the BNC so it's relegated to parts.

Sean

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 04:57 PM, Grayson Evans wrote:

I need a new set of descent Tek probes for my 547. I am tired of the cheap
"asian" knockoffs I have been using. They are driving me nuts (intermittent,
broken X10 switches, spring tips that don't make contact, etc.).
Can anyone recommend a Tek model number and a place to get them?
Tek made about a zillion probes it seems, Really confusing.
Thanks,

Wayne

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/tektronix/catalog/Tektronix_Catalog_1965_%2324.pdf

The catalog link above will provide a lot of probe information and plug-in compatibility around page 249. Find your plug-ins on the left and see what probes were recommended by Tek.

Grayson Evans

500 series like the 1A2, all BNC.

Steve Lindberg

Chheck out Tek probes group…

Grayson,

So, you don't need a readout indicator pin, which significantly increases your options (you can use probes with a readout indicator pin, but it doesn't do anything with your plug-in or scope, so there's no reason to avoid the probes that don't have one).

A period-accurate probe for the 547 with 1A2 would be the P6010 (10X, 50 MHz), P6011 (1X, 33 MHz), or P6012 (10X, only 33 MHz) but you could also use a P6008 (10X) or P6009 (100X), or even a P6006/P6007 (10X/100X, but only 33 MHz). These can be found on eBay for reasonable prices, and often in working condition. Unlike the later tektronix probes these are all "screw-on tips" and relatively heavy coaxial cables, which means that they are more durable. Of course, if you are buying probes off eBay, they are almost always used, so there is a fair chance of mishandling and abuse, so buyer beware.

You can probably also use some of the later probes (e.g. a P6103 or P6122), but they would not be "period-accurate." The P6103 does seem to be plentiful on eBay, and the prices are pretty good (I see five for sale right now, each under $25), so you might consider those.

Buying brand new probes from somewhere like Probemaster is not as expensive as you might expect, especially if you are buying lower bandwidth probes, and, as Sean said, you get a full set of accessories. I've been quite happy with "cheap Chinese probes" that I bought from Amazon (AST Labs and AUTOUTLET) for my 475 and 2213. The 1X/10X switch is a source of annoyance, but the probes have worked quite well, and for the price you can afford to be reckless with them.

-- Jeff Dutky

Grayson Evans

Thanks for all the info Jeff, I appreciate it.
I didn't know about probemaster. I think I will get a couple from there, later models 61xx series.
I went the chinese probe route and decided it is not worth the frustration. There is nothing worse that troubleshooting a circuit for an hour or more only to find out the damn probe is intermittent!
Thanks again,
Grayson

Other places to get new probes:

Cal Test Electronics: https://app.caltestelectronics.com/product-list/Probes-Oscilloscopes-Passive%20Voltage/0/
Tyrosys: https://tyrosys.com/passive-probes

there are probably a couple more that I can't find in my mess of bookmarks.

Of course there's always the option to make your own probes: http://emcesd.com/1ghzprob.htm#DC

-- Jeff Dutky