556 advertised on Facebook

There’s a 556 being advertised on the Old Tek Scopes Facebook group for $150, full suite of plug-ins and manuals, local pick up in Massachusetts. I’ve asked the seller to post here as well. It looks to be in beautiful condition, though it apparently hasn’t been powered on in 50 years. At that price there’s a good chance the tube thieves would think it was a fine price, and I’d hope it could be spared that fate.

— Jeff Dutky

I wasn’t able to find a way to link to the post because Facebook is a fricking walled garden.

Vince Vielhaber

Not only do you need to be on FB, you need to be a member of that FB group to see it. The group is private.

Vince.

On 05/20/2021 10:20 AM, Jeff Dutky wrote:
Here is a link to the facebook post from the seller: https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldtekscopes/permalink/939543180167188/?sale_post_id=939543180167188

widgethunter <tubesnthings@...>

Yup - the deadbeat piece of shit group owner made the group private and kicked me to the curb after I spent 2 yrs as the senior admin, building the group to over 2k members.Bernie Schroder

--
  K8ZW  http://www.metalworkingfun.com   http://www.hamradio.fun

Bernie,

Man that sucks! We were told that the group was going private due to a Facebook policy change, which sounds plausible enough, because Facebook sucks too, but kicking you off as admin sounds like a real jerk move.

I like the group, but it feels like a ghost town, even though it has thousands of members. There's very little expertise on display, not many replies to requests for help, especially compare to this group, and only a few posts per day. Also, because it's Facebook, it's basically walled off from the internet, which makes it a significantly less useful resource, even if it were a repository of significant expertise.

-- Jeff Dutky

All of which is why I repeatedly encouraged the seller to post here directly. The seller said that they saw this thread, and thanked me for it, and gave me that permalink (which most people can't use), but obviously hasn't posted here. I don't know why, but maybe the scope has already found a home. There were several people making noises like they were interested, and were near enough to pick it up.

-- Jeff Dutky

widgethunter <tubesnthings@...>

Hi Jeff;Those of us who have been around for a while longer than FB groups know only too well that THIS group holds the brain trust!Still, the visual-based interaction on the FB group was enjoyable, to me, and many others.
The group was remarkably free from typical social media strife and frequented by adults, for the most part.I did make interesting contacts, from time to time, and we managed to save a few instruments from hapless owners.
At the end of the day, I invested too much into something out of my control and for the benefit of FB, more than my own. My bad, I guess?!
I pity the group owner for having so dismal an existence that he feels the need to walk up he back of a few 'helpers who are 'running 'his' show for altruistic reasons.The guy is clueless and I don't believe he owns even a single Tek instrument, at this point!

Bernie Schroder