465 Capacitor Refit Adapters

Bill

All was well. Helped to have a window behind the PCB with bright sun coming in.
Bill

Dave Peterson

Once all is cleaned up well, test continuity between the front and back of the board to verify the integrity of the vias. See the picture in the album I pointed to earlier with the red circle around the C1512 (I think) + terminal. This via became stripped in the removal process creating an open to only a portion of the +55v unregulated node.

Was _very_ confusing to debug as it was only part of the node that was unconnected.

Much easier to fix before soldering in the new caps.

Dave

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 11:18:01 AM PDT, Bill via groups.io <ko4nrbs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I got all the old capacitors out.  Took a while but I didn't damage the PCB or the traces.

I found, as someone else had found, that using solder wick with solder rosin flux smeared on it did a good job of removing the solder.  In fact it worked so well I was able to use a 30 watt Velleman soldering iron to do it.  After removing as much solder as I could I used an old Weller 100/140 watt solder gun to heat the capacitors connections as I wiggled them out very carefully.  This worked very well.  Just go slow and don't get carried away when wiggling them.

Many thanks to all for current and past recommendations here on how to do it!!

Bill

Bill

I got all the old capacitors out. Took a while but I didn't damage the PCB or the traces.

I found, as someone else had found, that using solder wick with solder rosin flux smeared on it did a good job of removing the solder. In fact it worked so well I was able to use a 30 watt Velleman soldering iron to do it. After removing as much solder as I could I used an old Weller 100/140 watt solder gun to heat the capacitors connections as I wiggled them out very carefully. This worked very well. Just go slow and don't get carried away when wiggling them.

Many thanks to all for current and past recommendations here on how to do it!!

Bill

Bill

Thank you!!
Bill

Michael W. Lynch

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 08:37 AM, Bill wrote:

I have received my Capacitor Adapters 15.5mm triangle from CUOG on Ebay. How
are the pin headers used to make up the ground connections?

Getting close to installing them.
The pin headers solder into the vias of the adapter boards, Once the caps are soldered onto the boards, The ground connections are made by traces in the adapter boards themselves. I made a small soldering jig that would hold all 4 pin headers and allow them to be soldered easily and perfectly perpendicular to the adapter boards.

--
Michael Lynch
Dardanelle, AR

n4buq

I did something a bit different:

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=64929

It's not the prettiest, but if those caps ever need to be replaced, it won't involve soldering on the main board (provided snap-in caps are still available at that point).

Thanks,
Barry - N4BUQ

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Peterson via groups.io" <davidpinsf=yahoo.com@groups.io>
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 9:41:48 AM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 465 Capacitor Refit Adapters

Bill,

I put up some photos of my recap job in the folder:
 https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=258720

There are examples of the new caps with the adapters on (these are pre-snap
in sized adapters), and a view of the board with the caps soldered in. I had
to trim the leads of the snap-in caps to fit the adapters. Plenty of
material left to make good solid electrical and mechanical attachment.

I backed up the large holes with a piece of foil tape. The thick aluminum
foil used to seal duct work (not duct tape!). I used a hole punch to make
nice round patches, then stuck the lead through the middle. The adhesive
melts right away, but the foil did a good job of not allowing the solder to
overflow onto the backside of the board. I didn't fight too much to fill the
large holes entirely. The electrical connection is beyond established, and
the mechanical connection is also very solid. The caps are significantly
smaller and lighter than the originals.

Hope the pics help.
Dave

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 06:37:52 AM PDT, Bill via groups.io
<ko4nrbs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have received my Capacitor Adapters 15.5mm triangle from CUOG on Ebay.
  How are the pin headers used to make up the ground connections?

Bill

Dave Peterson

Bill,

I put up some photos of my recap job in the folder: https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=258720

There are examples of the new caps with the adapters on (these are pre-snap in sized adapters), and a view of the board with the caps soldered in. I had to trim the leads of the snap-in caps to fit the adapters. Plenty of material left to make good solid electrical and mechanical attachment.

I backed up the large holes with a piece of foil tape. The thick aluminum foil used to seal duct work (not duct tape!). I used a hole punch to make nice round patches, then stuck the lead through the middle. The adhesive melts right away, but the foil did a good job of not allowing the solder to overflow onto the backside of the board. I didn't fight too much to fill the large holes entirely. The electrical connection is beyond established, and the mechanical connection is also very solid. The caps are significantly smaller and lighter than the originals.

Hope the pics help.
Dave

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021, 06:37:52 AM PDT, Bill via groups.io <ko4nrbs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have received my Capacitor Adapters 15.5mm triangle from CUOG on Ebay.  How are the pin headers used to make up the ground connections?

Bill

Bill

I have received my Capacitor Adapters 15.5mm triangle from CUOG on Ebay. How are the pin headers used to make up the ground connections?

Bill