Cure tracer with digital scope

Wallace Gasiewicz

I have a B+K curve tester that I can use with my Tex 475 quite nicely. I did get it to work with an HP 1980 scope but that is more complicated.
When I set up my Agilent 54810 dig scope to X vs Y all I get is junk.
Hopefully there is someway to get the dig scope to work with the old curve tester.
Any suggestions?

I still have that 5CP1 CRT for give away and also a CRT tester, if anyone is interested.
I am in Indianapolis IN

Wally KC9INK

Bert Haskins

On 4/23/2021 1:24 PM, wallydoc via groups.io wrote:
I have a B+K curve tester that I can use with my Tex 475 quite nicely. I did get it to work with an HP 1980 scope but that is more complicated.
When I set up my Agilent 54810 dig scope to X vs Y all I get is junk.
Hopefully there is someway to get the dig scope to work with the old curve tester.
Any suggestions?

I still have that 5CP1 CRT for give away and also a CRT tester, if anyone is interested.
I am in Indianapolis IN

Wally KC9INK
I am (slowly due to family issues ) working on this.

I have two digital scopes, a Tek and a Hantek and neither one is close to being useful on a CT.

I am working on a mod for one of my STM32F3 digital scopes that I think will work out nicely for this.

Full color and al sorts of other goodies to work with.

For the meantime though analog rules.

-Bert

TomC

Digital scopes generally suck in X-Y mode. You may be out of luck.

Tom

On 4/23/2021 4:36 PM, TomC wrote:
Digital scopes generally suck in X-Y mode. You may be out of luck.

Tom
The one I've been working on has been showing great promise as a curve tracer.

On 4/23/2021 10:24 AM, wallydoc via groups.io wrote:
I have a B+K curve tester that I can use with my Tex 475 quite nicely. I did get it to work with an HP 1980 scope but that is more complicated.
When I set up my Agilent 54810 dig scope to X vs Y all I get is junk.
Hopefully there is someway to get the dig scope to work with the old curve tester.
Any suggestions?

I still have that 5CP1 CRT for give away and also a CRT tester, if anyone is interested.
I am in Indianapolis IN

Wally KC9INK

Wallace Gasiewicz

After a great deal of reading and lots of manipulation, (And a little luck) I finally hit on a combo that actually gives me a trace very much like the analog scope!

I never occurred to me to turn the sweep (horizontal control) on the digital scope. It's x-y right?? NO!
I now know the x-y mode is a math function of the two traces and not a true x-y plot.
You would have thought that would have registered with at least two remaining neurons since the x-y function is in the Math Menu.

These gol-darn new-fangled things actually can work well.

And the trace is Magenta!! Far Out!

Bert Haskins

On 4/23/2021 6:11 PM, wallydoc via groups.io wrote:
After a great deal of reading and lots of manipulation, (And a little luck) I finally hit on a combo that actually gives me a trace very much like the analog scope!

I never occurred to me to turn the sweep (horizontal control) on the digital scope. It's x-y right?? NO!
Could you elaborate on this?

What sweep setting are you using?

Maybe some pictures?

I now know the x-y mode is a math function of the two traces and not a true x-y plot.
You would have thought that would have registered with at least two remaining neurons since the x-y function is in the Math Menu.

These gol-darn new-fangled things actually can work well.

And the trace is Magenta!! Far Out!

santa0123456

Long time ago, I posted pictures with a 7CT1N in a DSA602A in X/Y mode.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/photo/12992/165087?p=Name,,7CT1N,20,1,0,0

Funny mix of 7K and 11K series to make a digital (color) curve tracer. And you can store traces for comparison or even download them over GPIB.

Of course, the 7CT1N is not a 576...

santa0123456

Looks like I misunderstood X-Y use that is quite common with X/Y which is less used in the digital scopes world.

But this will only go further proving that you can do funny things in the digital world. After exporting your characteristics measured in X/Y mode for a lot of parts, you could make a table in excel of X-Y and even their root-mean-square to compare your bunch of parts and see which ones are best paired...

Michael Dunn

Experimenting with displaying an "analog clock" on a digital scope:
https://www.edn.com/struggling-with-x-y-mode-or-what-time-is-it/

Wallace Gasiewicz

Sorry it took so long to reply, Bert.. My curve tracer went wonky and it took days to figure it out. It turned out to be the Power Cord where it enters the cabinet. Intermittent operation but never OFF. I suppose one of either the GND or COMMON wires were open. FIXED.

501A B&K Curve tracer Settings
Vert Sensitivity 1mA/div
Step Selector 2uA/div
Sweep Volts 20 Volts

Agilent 54810 Settings
Math Setup
Source 1 CH 2
Source 2 CH 1

CH 1 5 V/div
CH 2 500 mV/ div
Horizontal 5 mSec/div

Banana Plug Connections:
CH 1 to B^K Vert
CH 2 to B&K Vert

I get a lot of loop back on the digital scope as well as on the Tek 475.
any suggestions?
I would attach a photo but I cannot find the attach button, I have done this before,has the photo attachment mechanism changed?

Chris Wilkson

I think you need to first create a new album and upload the photos separately.
Then put a URL link to the photos or album in your message.