CRT Tester

Wallace Gasiewicz

I rescued a nice looking B&K CRT tube tester. Model 465
Has the manual and the connectors also.
From TV repair guy.
I do not know if it can test scope tubes or not,so I thought I would ask here first.

Wally KC9INK

Charles Plunk

Before I sold my B&K 470, I made an adapter with all grabber leads so if did not have the right adapter. Worked well just a bit time consuming to hook up.

Sometimes I did not have the setup data to properly test but would guess, lol. And the 470 had a rejuvenation function which sometimes would save a CRT.

Chuck
AF4O

On 4/19/21 4:39 PM, wallydoc via groups.io wrote:
I rescued a nice looking B&K CRT tube tester. Model 465
Has the manual and the connectors also.
From TV repair guy.
I do not know if it can test scope tubes or not,so I thought I would ask here first.

Wally KC9INK

Tom Lee

Be advised that the BK will not have a chart listing for any Tek-made CRTs.

Sent from my iThing, so please forgive typos and brevity.

On Apr 19, 2021, at 3:45 PM, Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com> wrote:

Before I sold my B&K 470, I made an adapter with all grabber leads so if did not have the right adapter. Worked well just a bit time consuming to hook up.

Sometimes I did not have the setup data to properly test but would guess, lol. And the 470 had a rejuvenation function which sometimes would save a CRT.

Chuck
AF4O

On 4/19/21 4:39 PM, wallydoc via groups.io wrote:
I rescued a nice looking B&K CRT tube tester. Model 465
Has the manual and the connectors also.
From TV repair guy.
I do not know if it can test scope tubes or not,so I thought I would ask here first.

Wally KC9INK

David Holland

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 7:15 PM Tom Lee <tomlee@ee.stanford.edu> wrote:

Be advised that the BK will not have a chart listing for any Tek-made CRTs.

Doesn't that apply to all of the generally available commercial testers?
('cause if I'm wrong I wouldn't mind keeping an eye out for something.)

I've heard rumors that the Sencore CR-70 (and 7000?) can test Tek CRTs, but
those two testers tend to go for more than I'm willing to gamble on whim,
and a rumor.
Even then, I'd still be surprised if they included a chart listing for any
of them.

David

Tom Lee

Right--no commercial testers (that I'm aware of) have chart listings for such specialized crts. Pretty much any CRT tester probably has the bits needed to perform at least a basic test, but you'd have to do the extra work of hooking up this to that and then interpreting the readings.

Sent from an iThing, so please forgive the typos and brevity

On Apr 19, 2021, at 17:53, "David Holland" <david.w.holland@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 7:15 PM Tom Lee <tomlee@ee.stanford.edu> wrote:

Be advised that the BK will not have a chart listing for any Tek-made CRTs.

Doesn't that apply to all of the generally available commercial testers?
('cause if I'm wrong I wouldn't mind keeping an eye out for something.)

I've heard rumors that the Sencore CR-70 (and 7000?) can test Tek CRTs, but
those two testers tend to go for more than I'm willing to gamble on whim,
and a rumor.
Even then, I'd still be surprised if they included a chart listing for any
of them.

David

shalopt

Should, had one years back recall think it just measures emission.
Will obviously need to make adapters, mine had adapters for all
known TV CRTs at the time.
Gary G

Paul Amaranth

Some of the Sencore units will list a few of the common commercial electrostatic
CRTs (think Eico or Heathkit) but none of the Tek/HP/etc tubes.

The units may provide some value in rejuvinating a dim CRT or maybe clearing
a short. In those cases you don't have much to lose anyway. They will
test them in a general way, mostly for emission. The Sencore manual, at
least, gives enough information so you can set it up for nonlisted tubes.

I have a 576 that's double peaking. One of these days I will try my
CR70 on it and see what happens.

Like a lot of test equipment, prices on those things are getting out of
hand. You used to be able to find a CR70 around $75 a couple years back.

Paul

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 06:18:30PM -0700, Tom Lee wrote:
[...]

greenboxmaven

All CRT testers I have ever seen or used are totally devoted to checking for heater-cathode shorts, cathode-grid shorts, and emission. Rejuvination circuits and concepts vary widely, but aside fron heater voltage, I have never seen any sort of settings for a particular tube. I will make a guess that a good scope tube is likely to read lower on emission that a television tube, especially a color tube.

     Bruce Gentry, KA2IVY

On 4/19/21 17:39, wallydoc via groups.io wrote:
I rescued a nice looking B&K CRT tube tester. Model 465
Has the manual and the connectors also.
From TV repair guy.
I do not know if it can test scope tubes or not,so I thought I would ask here first.

Wally KC9INK

Wallace Gasiewicz

Thanks for the conversation. I suppose I can hook it up to read just about any CRT as far as emission and shorts go, But I really have no use for this thing. It just looked too good to throw away or take apart.
If anyone wants it they can have it.
It does turn on and the filament volts work.
Has several adapters that could be used to fit to a CRT of your choice.

Wally