Battery holder spring corrosion (was:Re: [TekScopes] Beware of old AntiStatic foam)

Brad Thompson

Renée wrote on 3/21/2021 1:17 PM:

unfortunately I too have had the same experience. foam-lost a bunch of microprocessors and assorted items that I thought were in safe place....
and regarding Duracell---lost a couple pieces of test equip..now this was a long time ago-their answer was "send it in we will fixit"...well I did that with one item and then they said not repairable and it is too old to replace
<snip>

Hello--

Thank you for the heads-up regarding Duracell's discard service [sic].

I've noticed that battery holders for, say, AA cells that feature coil-spring contacts
for the cells' negative ends eventually experience corrosion of the springs, even though
there's no sign of leakage from the cells. This occurs when manganese-alkaline cells are used
and it doesn't appear to be brand-related..

This may be related to "black wire disease"...

http://www.hangtimes.com/black_wire_disease.html

...But that phenomenon seems to relate to NiCd cells and not alkaline cells.

Is there a corrosion chemist in the house?

73--

Brad  AA1IP

snapdiode <snapdiode@...>

I think batteries are able to spit out chemicals from their seals as they age. I have this Radio Shack Model 100 portable computer that has extensive (almost not repairable) corrosion near the battery pack, but also has odd single pin corrosion clear across the PCB, the only reasonable explanation is a tiny droplet being spit out the battery seal. It's not just leaking like a slow seeping of fluid across a barrier, I'm guessing there's also times when gas pressure builds up, part of the seal gives, a droplet flies out, the pressure is relieved, the seal forms back, and the cycle slowly continues and might take another year for the next droplet.