Changing out GR874 connectors +Printact relays

I see some comments about changing existing GR874's in Tek gear for BNCs with some loss of performance. I think a better and certainly easier mechanical change is to female type N connectors, which are very good performers, up to at least 12.4Ghz. Getting good N cables is easy, and eliminates the need for the pesky GR874 adaptors, plus provides a better high speed transition to the cable itself.

In our lab, virtually all high frequency connections are N connectors (generators, power meters, analyzers, loads, etc.), with SMA to go higher in frequency or smaller in physical size. Only scopes really remain with BNCs, but they are much lower in frequency than the microwave gear. Both APC-7 and GR874 were phased out internally some years ago, just too much inconvenience, and not enough benefit.

Also, totally un-related, I found a box of new gold Printact relays (they use the other half of the contact system as the pcb itself). These were used in some HP audio signal/level generators (with very mixed results), but I had never seen them in any Tek gear. Does anyone know if they where used there? They were in my Tek spares, so that's why I am curious.

all the best, stay safe,
walter (walter2 -at- sphere.bc.ca)
sphere research corp.

Stephen

Interesting comment.
Which type of female Type N connector would you use on a type 106 where it’s mounted/soldered directly on the high-rise board?
I’m looking at all the best options available.

Ed Breya

The 576 uses some Printact relays. Ed

snapdiode

The 1A5 uses a Printact. At least mine does.

Dale H. Cook

Walter Shawlee wrote:

In our lab, virtually all high frequency connections are N connectors
In my shop virtually all of the connectors from VHF up atr GR 874 connectors, because most of that equipment is GR.

Stephen

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 02:33 AM, Dale H. Cook wrote:

Walter Shawlee wrote:

In our lab, virtually all high frequency connections are N connectors
In my shop virtually all of the connectors from VHF up atr GR 874 connectors,
because most of that equipment is GR.
I haven’t received it yet, but I decided to leave the GR874 connectors alone as long as I can. If someday I’m having problems, I’ll change them. I actually like the way they look.

I do too... and some years ago I bought a large bagful of GR adapters and cables. So I'll stick with them ;)
Besides that, I have a working S-1 and S-2 sampling head with 874 connectors. It looks like a delicate operation to put an N connector on the front of either...

Stephen

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 04:48 AM, Charles wrote:

I do too...
Yes, I think they look pretty cool.

Besides that, I have a working S-1 and S-2 sampling head with 874 connectors.
It looks like a delicate operation to put an N connector on the front of
either...
Indeed. At the end of the day, I decided I don’t want to have to mess around with them and leave them alone. I neither need the hassle, nor do ai want to have to deal with the possibility of ruining something for good.