Topics

Graded display on CSA803 / 11800 series

Leo Bodnar

If somebody is still actively maintaining user applications for CSA803 / 11800 series, please consider adding graded display data download.

Behind ugly screen with five eye-watering colours there actually is a 256x512 array of 16-bit deep persistence bins that can be downloaded with "DISP? DATA" query and post-processed into something more pleasing.

You can achieve almost analogue-like quality of screenshots.

Here is an example of a high jitter signal looking on a screenshot and the data it returns with the above query.

http://www.leobodnar.com/files/CSA803A-screenshot.png
http://www.leobodnar.com/files/CSA803-graded.png

Cheers
Leo

Leo Bodnar

If somebody is still actively maintaining user applications for CSA803 / 11800 series, please consider adding graded display data download.

Behind ugly screen with five eye-watering colours there actually is a 256x512 array of 16-bit deep bins that can be downloaded with "DISP? DATA" query and post-processed into something more pleasing.

You can achieve almost analogue-like quality of screenshots.

Here is an example of a high jitter signal looking on a screenshot and the data it returns with the above query.

http://leobodnar.com/files/CSA803A-screenshot.png
http://leobodnar.com/files/CSA803-graded.png

I have also posted these images in the group albums.

Cheers
Leo Bodnar

John Miles

That does look nice. Where did the CSA803-graded.png image come from?

-- john, KE5FX

If somebody is still actively maintaining user applications for CSA803 / 11800
series, please consider adding graded display data download.

Behind ugly screen with five eye-watering colours there actually is a 256x512
array of 16-bit deep persistence bins that can be downloaded with "DISP?
DATA" query and post-processed into something more pleasing.

You can achieve almost analogue-like quality of screenshots.

Here is an example of a high jitter signal looking on a screenshot and the
data it returns with the above query.

http://www.leobodnar.com/files/CSA803A-screenshot.png
http://www.leobodnar.com/files/CSA803-graded.png

Cheers
Leo

Leo Bodnar

I have used Joel Koltner's python screen capture tool referenced here http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/11802 and modified it slightly to send "DISP? DATA" and then grab and display what comes back.

Instrument data output is 512 x 256 so I had to stretch it vertically to mimic how native CSA803 screen looks. Square graticule is not elegant but that's what we get with 11800/CSA803. After scaling and gamma-corrrecting it looks not too shabby: http://leobodnar.com/files/292mm-rise-50ps-div-graded.png

My python skills are improving but I still can't figure out why column six does not wrap long lines.

Leo

Gudjon Gudjonsson

Hi Leo

Very nice pictures. Is your code available somewhere?

May I ask you you got Joels program working? I tried it on my Debian Linux
but the wxwidget version in Debian is too new.

I have made two repositories on Github:

https://github.com/GauiStori/tekdump
An updated version, just fixed compilation errors and it works.

https://github.com/GauiStori/tekprogs
which contains the example programs for the CSA803 and a screen dump
utility for MSO2024. These are written in python, tested on
Linux but they should work on Windows as well. I will make them work on
Windows as well sometime.

Hope it is useful to someone?

Regards
Gudjon

cmjones01

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 01:58 pm, Leo Bodnar wrote:

I have used Joel Koltner's python screen capture tool referenced here
http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/11802 and modified it slightly to send "DISP?
DATA" and then grab and display what comes back.
That looks great. I love what my CSA803A can do but don't have it hooked up to anything digitally yet. Silly question: is this only over GPIB or over serial too?

Chris

Leo Bodnar

I have used serial since it is easier to talk to. GPIB can be used just as well. I think their speed is not much different as they are served by slow hardware.
Leo

Gudjon Gudjonsson

Hi

I have copied Joels program to my GitHub page and adapted it to work for
both
CSA803 and 1180x:
https://github.com/GauiStori/joel_koltner_tsc

Since the program runs with ancient versions of Py-WxWidgets, I made a new
simple
command line program that is tested to work on both Linux and Windows.
https://github.com/GauiStori/tekprogs/tree/master/csa803c/utils

Please check if it is useful for you. If there is another repository with
working code
I would rather like to cooperate than using my own repository.

Gudjon

Perdad

Good work ! Just what I was looking for. Small and simple.

Per